Book Recommendations?

In 10 days I’m finally starting RCIA. :dancing: I would really like some good book recommendations about the Church, the spiritual life … Not the very basic books that explain the Mass etc. but those that go a bit deeper but are still good for beginners. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Introduction to the Devout Life by Saint Francis de Sales

If I may suggest…

For Church Teachings: Fr. John Hardon’s “Catholic Catechism”

For spirituality: “Christ, the Life of the Soul” and “Union With God: Letters of Spiritual Direction” both by Blessed Columbia Marmion. (Interestingly, Marmion strongly recomends the works of St. Francis de Sales.)

And just because it is awesome… “Life of Christ” by Fulton J. Sheen. Going through RCIA almost three years ago myself this book was amazingly helpful as is anything by the late Archbishop Sheen.

“The Spirit of Catholicism” by Karl Adam is a great book. Some people try to trash him by saying he was a Nazi sympathizer but it’s not true. Here’s a link:

amazon.com/Spirit-Catholicism-Milestones-Catholic-Theology/dp/0824517180

It’s also free on EWTN if you don’t mind printing off 150 pages.

ewtn.com/library/THEOLOGY/SPIRCATH.HTM

I really like “Swimming with Scapulars” by Matthew Lickona, “Letters to a Young Catholic” by George Weigel, and “On being Catholic” by Thomas Howard.

The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton
True Devotion to Mary by Saint Louis-Marie de Montfort

Welcome xandria, some one once said to read the early church Fathers is to stop being Protestant…

A very good book for you would be ‘Four Witnesses’. By Rob Bennett, very interesting and easy to read. Covers, Clement of Rome, Ignatius of Antioch, Justin Martyr and Irenaeus of Lyons.:thumbsup:Carlan

P.S. It is the early Church in her own words , easy read.

The 7 Epistles of Saint Ignatius of Antioch are a wonderful read and reflect Catholic teaching.

They are (along with many other Patristic works) are available at www.newadvent.org

Catholicism for dummies. A good book for any Catholic

My Life with the Saints by Father James Martin. It is not only about some well-known and some not-so-well-known saints but is also a window into the odyssey of Fr. Martin’s soul. He was a business executive who gave up a career to be a Jesuit priest. Very Highly Recommended!

Check out Amazon.com for some good reviews of this book. It is available in paperback.

LIVING THE MYSTERIES: A GUIDE FOR UNFINISHED CHRISTIANS by Scott Hahn and Mike Aquilina.

Quote from EWTN:
"The sacraments are mysteries that reveal God. In the early Church, seekers were guided by a teacher through stages that ended with “the revelation of the mysteries”. This book presents the Church’s teachings through the writings of early Church teachers."
While the book is intended as the book AFTER RCIA to give greater depth, your question made me think you might like this more historical yet practical text now.

And, you do not have to take my word for it, you can make up your own mind.

Here are major parts of the book on Google Books – read much of the book online.

Listen to the EWTN’s popular Bookmark program with Scott Hahn — where he talks about the book with host Doug Keck.

And if you like what you read and hear, you can buy the book from EWTN for about $15 here (same as first link above).

Happy blessings to you and your family and congratulations!

Thanks, I have written everything down. Keep them coming! :smiley:

“Interior Castle” (or sometimes “mansions”) by St. Teresa of Avila :nun1:

Rosary: Mysteries, Meditations and the Telling of the Beads, by Kevin Orlin Johnson is a superb book that will introduce you to Catholic spirituality, history and culture.

amazon.com/Rosary-Mysteries-Meditations-Telling-Beads/dp/0965366014

prayer for beginners by Peter Kreeft, from Ignatius press

He Leadeth Me, by Father Walter Ciszek, S.J.

The Fathers of the Church - Mike Aquilina
The Compact History of the Catholic Church - Alan Schreck, Ph.D
Theology for Beginners and Theology and Sanity - Frank Sheed
I Believe in Love - Father Jean CJ d’Elbee

closed #18

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.