Book recs: what Catholic books might appeal to New Age-y types?

Very first post, so hi, all!

A friend of mine is looking for a book for his aunt, who was raised superficially Catholic but has since fallen away from the faith. She’s probably most inclined toward mystical/New Age spirituality-- very into the power of positive thinking, loves “The Secret,” followed a spiritual channeler for a while, and so forth.

She is interested in learning more about Catholicism, but is also maybe not the best critical thinker, so I suspect anything dogmatic or argumentative would be immediately offputting to her. I’ve nixed Mere Christianity (the friend’s initial idea) for this reason, but am I right in thinking Thomas Merton might be a good “intro” author for someone of this disposition?

Any other suggestions for relatively upbeat, mystical, not-too-rigorous works of Catholic meditation or apologetics?

How about something along the lines of the life story of Padre Pio? Sister Faustina or St Therese of Liseaux? This woman has got to be stopped from believing in that “New Age” stuff and into some good solid Catholic mysticism. Good luck!

I agree with the suggestions given. I would also add The Mystical City Of God: A Popular Abridgment by Ven. Mary of Agreda

This book overflows with enthralling information about Our Lord and Our Lady, about the creation of the world, the meaning of the Apocalypse, Lucifer’s rebellion, the location of hell, the hidden life of Jesus, etc. Reveals that St Joseph ate meat, but Our Lord and Our Lady seldom did. Makes Christ’s hidden life really come alive. Acclaimed by the Popes, cardinals and theologians - one of the greatest Catholic books ever.

I’ve never heard of that one before and it sounds really interesting. Imagine, the little details of Christ’s life! Plus all those other things mentioned.

It is interesting. My sister (who is discerning contemplative life) got a lot out of the book.

This book is the abridgement of the original volumes which is 4 volumes. Unfortunately, those 4 volumes are out of print at the moment but hopefully back in print soon.

St Francis of Assissi:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.