Book response to Anti-Catolicism

I need some awesome strong book suggestions to give some evangelical friends who gave us an anti-Catholic book today. I’m going to offer to read it in exchange for reading a book in support of Catholicism and hopefully open the door to more dialogue in explaining and defending our faith.

I guess it depends on exactly what anti-catholic book it was.

Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating is a great one. It’s a little on the longer side, though, so if your friend gave you a short booklet, it wouldn’t necessarily be an even exchange. It can be a bit dense of a read at times, too. If your friend gave you Lorraine Boettner’s “Roman Catholicism”, though, this would be the perfect book.

Scott & Kimberly Hahn’s Rome Sweet Home is shorter and an easier read. It’s their conversion story, but it gives a lot of great apologetics in the process.

You could also try Thomas Howard’s conversion story Evangelical is Not Enough. I’ve not read it myself, but I always have heard great things about it.

Whatever you get, make sure you read through it first before you give it to them so you know what they’re getting. If you don’t have time, you can at least skim it beforehand and then try reading it at the same time in case they have questions.

Let us know what book it was; there are a lot of anti Catholic books out there.
Mary.

x2 on the books mentioned already. There is also “Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic” by David Currie. It is every bit as good as Keating’s, but written from a former fundamentalist’s perspective, so they MIGHT be more open to reading that one.

amazon.com/Born-Fundamentalist-Again-Catholic/dp/089870569X

If the book you were handed is Boettner’s “Roman Catholicism”, then the Keating book may be a better choice. Also, I did a 6-part series to re-present Wayne Ariss’ rebuttal to the “Boettner List” which you can find here (separated by like-topics):

daves-ahumbleservant.blogspot.com/search/label/Boettner

Or Ariss’ original format here:

blackieschurchmilitant-apocalypsis.blogspot.com/search/label/Boettner

Other books I have enjoyed and found extremely helpful: Steve Ray’s “Crossing the Tiber” (if you don’t read the footnotes, you have not actually read the book…they are easily 50% of the material or more), Brant Pitre’s “Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist” (WOW!!!WOW!!!WOW!!!), Patrick Madrid’s “Surprised By Truth” series, Karl Keating’s “What Catholics Really Believe: 52 misconceptions…”, Marcus Grodi’s “What Must I Do to be Saved?” (very short and easy to read…full of great info). :smiley:

Boettner’s book on Roman Catholicism is considered the “Bible of anti Catholicism”
Mary.

I second the question - which book were you given?

The word of GOD the heavenly father through his son lord JESUS CHRIST, the bible and the belt of truth will break down strongholds.

Lean not on your own understanding, but on the grace of GOD through his son JESUS; this includes leaning on others(people)understanding…for JESUS CHRIST is the way, the TRUTH and the life.

“So I would advise praying for discernment, for…doesn’t proper interpretation come from the truth and cannot be separated from it?”

“So again where is the TRUTH?”

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

All great books, God Bless, Memaw

Another book that is good for Christians who want to know more about Catholicism (and Catholics who want to know more about their faith) is ‘Catholic and Christian’ by Alan Schreck. It is about the right length and is easy to read. I read this book when I came to the Catholic Church. :thumbsup:

My :twocents: I am a former Evangelical and the books that impressed me when I started considering becoming a Catholic were: Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic by David Currie, Crossing the Tiber by Steve Ray, and then Catholicism for Dummies. That last book helped clear up certain misconceptions I had.

Why are your “friends” giving you an anti-Catholic book?

Definitely Rome Sweet Home!!!

What was the name of the book that you were given?

Faith of Our Fathers by James Cardinal Gibbons is an old book, but a good one. I really enjoyed it and it did a good job explaining Catholic doctrine (understanding of course that it was written just after Vatican I, so the book talks about things that have been reformed and altered since like the priest facing away from the people, the laity not taking the cup in Holy Communion, etc.)

If there are specific issues your friends have with Catholicism consider Hail Holy Queen by Scott Hahn for Marian dogmas, Upon this Rock by Stephen Ray for the Papacy, and Taylor Marshall’s trilogy on the Origins of Catholicism are all good books too!

The book is Answers to my Catholic Friends by Thomas Heinze.

A catholic blogger has formulated a response:

patrickjmironresponse.blogspot.com/2012/08/catholic-responses-to-booklet-answers.html

Catholic responses to the Booklet: “Answers to my Catholic Friends” by Thomas F. Heinze

I’ve never heard of it, but a quick Google shows that it has Jack Chick’s endorsement. I imagine “anti-Catholic” is probably an understatement.

Since it is really a short booklet, if you are looking for something of comparable size, you may check out Catholic Answers’ Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth. The full text is available online and it is also available in booklet form.

x2 on Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth. I read it YEARS ago and my wife has been known to hand them out. It’s a relatively short booklet (32 pages), smallish in stature, but HUGE in information.

I would take a very dim view of friends of any sort who gave me an anti-Catholic book and would certainly review my friendship with them.

I had a colleague (who had earlier identified to me as also being Catholic) trying to persuade me to worship at the fellowship she attended because there were many there who came from the same country as she and I did. I took two steps back from that potential friendship very quickly.

Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating
Rome Sweet Home by Scott Hahn
The One-Minute Apologist by Dave Armstrong

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.