Book(s) for non-practicing father?

Hey everyone,

I hope this is the right forum for this, but can anyone suggest a book or books for my non-practicing father.

To give you some background; he totally loves and supports the Church (you should hear his tirades against gay marriage, I always find it so inspiring!). He believes in Transubstantiation and everything else you need to in order to be a practicing Catholic, but he doesn't go to Mass on Sundays. I know it's a grave sin, but I;m not prepared to go all fire and brimstone on him for it because he definitely won't respond...I have a feeling he knows this anyway.

I'll be visiting him soon for a stay for a couple of weeks, I always get him to come to Mass with me, but I'll be asking him why he doesn't receive the Eucharist, I'd like to a have a book to refer him to when I do. Oh, and if you could pray for us that would be great too :)

Thanks in advance

and God bless!

I just recently started reading some of the daily forums on Catholic Answers with no intention of actively engaging in any posts, however, when I came upon your question today I felt impelled to respond (the Holy Spirit works that way!). I too have “Catholic” family members that are not practicing (father, mother, and siblings), which can be extremely difficult especially come Sunday morning.

I started reading a great book by Matthew Kelly called “Rediscovering Catholicism”. I am not quite there yet, but I flipped forward to the chapter about “rediscovering the mass” for you. From what I read, it’s equally as great. Here is the opening paragraph: “At the center of the Catholic tradition is the Mass. It is in the Mass that the 1.2 billion Catholics around the world come together to share a common experience. But the wisdom of regular worship has a much deeper meaning than bringing us all together once a week; it is a profound reflection of God’s blueprint for all of creation.” He discusses the reciprocity of Mass: it’s not only a time to give worship, but also to receive the body and blood of Jesus Christ. He recognizes Mass as a “privilege” instead of an obligation. The entire book calls Catholics to reevaluate the way that they live out their faith, inspiring them to love the beauty and the truth of the Catholic faith.

You can get a free copy at: rediscoveringcatholicism.org/. There is a $5.95 charge for shipping, but it’s worth it. My husband and I bought six of them to give as gifts this Christmas. We will be giving one to my mom and dad, and hopefully, my sisters will one day find interest in reading it. Who knows? Maybe my in-laws will pick it up someday (they are not Catholic, but we are praying).

I hope this helps. I will pray for you and your father.

God bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.