Book Store Closes Down So It Won’t Have to Collect Taxes for New York, Which Legalized Abortions Up to Birth

https://www.lifenews.com/2019/08/15/book-store-closes-down-so-it-wont-have-to-collect-taxes-for-new-york-which-legalized-abortions-up-to-birth/

“New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo wasted no time signing a radical pro-abortion bill into lawn January. The law allows abortions for basically any reason up to birth… After signing the law, Cuomo celebrated by ordering that state landmarks be lit in pink.”

“We cannot, in good conscience, continue to pay sales tax to a state that encourages the murder of its own children with glee.”

“He thanked his customers and shared his family’s plans to move to Texas, which has been working hard to pass pro-life laws”…

9 Likes

God bless them. They’ve done the best thing.

5 Likes

I didn’t read the article. Are the owners moving to another state as well?

1 Like

That’s their plan.

The headline is a bit misleading—they closed for one day.

4 Likes

While I think they should be commended due to their strong faith (whatever my personal views on the issue), at the same time, I believe they are going beyond what is required of them according to the Church. In other words, it seems their participation in the state’s legalization of abortion by paying a sales tax is remote cooperation with what is viewed as an intrinsic evil, and thus not a moral basis for closing shop. I may be wrong about this, but it is based on what I have read on and off CAF about supporting laws that are deemed immoral. Still, whether above and beyond the Church’s teaching or not, it is a noble gesture on their part.

1 Like

My guess would be they were inspired by the companies threatening to pull out of pro life states. I don’t know if any have followed through yet.

4 Likes

I hadn’t thought of that, but you may very well be correct. It is particularly unfortunate in the case of New York bookstores (all bookstores, I suppose), because we have so few of them left.

1 Like

Didn’t Jesus take the view that taxation was an obligation and not affected by the policies of the taxing authority?

1 Like

Are you referring to the “Render unto Caesar” biblical verse? Perhaps it can be applied to this situation.

That’s the one!

Jesus said not to break the law. The bookstore isn’t doing that.

Then the Pharisees went and plotted how to entangle him in his words. And they sent their disciples to him, along with the Herodians, saying, “Teacher, we know that you are true and teach the way of God truthfully, and you do not care about anyone’s opinion, for you are not swayed by appearances. Tell us, then, what you think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?” But Jesus, aware of their malice, said, “Why put me to the test, you hypocrites? Show me the coin for the tax.” And they brought him a denarius. And Jesus said to them, “Whose likeness and inscription is this?” They said, “Caesar’s.” Then he said to them, “Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” When they heard it, they marvelled. And they left him and went away. -Mt 22:15-22

That said, later, Jesus also said God’s laws can take precedence over any human laws. The point of paying taxes isn’t to be doormats. Discernment is permitted. This is why some Mennonites in different places refused to pay taxes because of wars started by various governments.

But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. -Mt 22:34-37

You have chosen to interpret it that way. He may Zalsohave meant ‘always pay your taxes’ ore may’ve meant nothing and sought only to bewilder the people trying to catch him out.

My interpretation? This is standard Christian belief. I will add that breaking the law can be permitted in extreme circumstances. We know from other verses that there are times when civil disobedience is acceptable. Christian doctrine isn’t up for personal interpretation. We have many guides for interpretation.

Hey! Why don’t we all take a day off from work as a sign of our virtue?

1 Like

The owner, Jon Speed, probably does not care what the Church teaches. He is a pastor of his own Sola Scriptura evangelical church.

1 Like

Of course, with the spread of Internet sales taxes, a merchant no longer needs to be in New York State to owe them sales taxes - just sell to NY residents. I believe this is even being applied to small sellers such as those selling on sites like eBay.

We are obligated to pay the taxes we owe. We have no obligation to incur taxes when we can lawfully avoid them.

1 Like

Both these statements are true. You choose to interpret things in line with ‘standard Christian belief’. The ‘choose’ bit is often overlooked in discussion about whether things are true or not. I understand the logic from ‘divinely inspired’ through to ‘I believe’ but this does not mean there is not a choice or an interpretation involved.

There’s definitely a choice. Choose to be right or choose to be wrong. And yes, there are wrong interpretations.

Probably because most of us value money more than making a statement…? What are you suggesting?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.