Book suggestions please

Hi,

Could someone please point me to a couple of books that show how modern science, specifically string theory, fits in Catholicism.

Many thanks

AndyP

I am not able to answer your question, but why not go to a library and ask them to search their database for such books?

I strongly recommend Stephen Barr’s “Ancient Faith and Modern Physics”:

amazon.com/Modern-Physics-Ancient-Faith-Stephen/dp/0268021988

For your location:

amazon.co.uk/Modern-Physics-Ancient-Faith-Stephen/dp/0268021988

Quite simply mcw013 because that would not be the best place to ask. The expertise and judgement on this site trumps any any general list of books that may fit the bill.

Thank you very much Al Moritz. That book does not seem to cover string theory, but you have sold me on it. :slight_smile:

AndyP

You’re welcome. The book does not have string theory as main subject, no, but it does touch upon it. The author himself is a proponent of string theory, while I am highly skeptical about it; there is no shred of experimental evidence for it thus far (and reading prominent physicist Smolin’s The Trouble with Physics only confirmed my views).

I guess I don’t understand the question. Modern science cannot or else does not say anything specific about Catholicism that I am aware of.

There are, of course, many Catholic scientists who find the discoveries of modern science to be consistent with their faith. Certainly the discovery of the Big Bang by a Catholic priest fits this category. The appearance of a highly complex and intelligently designed universe also seems to confirm our philosophical and theological belief in a providential God, even though atheists curiously draw just the opposite conclusion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.