Book that explains when sins become mortal

Is there a good book or something that explains mortal sins or when certain sins become mortal? I read the examinations that have all these sins listed, and I do not know if they are mortal or not. It is just a list, and then i have this list to go to confession with and do not know what is mortal or not mortal.

All the books I have on confession just list the sins and some obvious mortal ones like fornication or murder, but then anger is a deadly sin, and I got angry. when do things become mortal? I am looking for something that explains this.

EDIT: I think i might be looking for grave matters, not whether one meets the other two conditions of a mortal sin. For example, greed becomes grave matter when it causes one to commit another grave matter such as robbing a bank.

thanks,

[quote="js_cat3391, post:1, topic:317355"]
but then anger is a deadly sin, and I got angry. when do things become mortal? I am looking for something that explains this.

thanks,

[/quote]

A note about the Seven Deadly Sins from a previous post of mine.

The Seven Deadly sins or perhaps better Capital sins -- can yes involve grave matter for mortal sins. (and of course there are many things that are grave matter...not just seven...I note for some readers)

But that does not *mean that they (or sins that fall in those categories) are necessarily grave matter. *Many admit rather of parvity of matter (light matter).

And yes I am referring to the matter involved -- not just to say a lack of full knowledge or deliberate consent for mortal sin --but to a light matter for venial sin.

The term "deadly" --often confuses persons.

Such is simply not the case that deadly sins/capital sins = grave matter .

For example --the chief of them is Pride. Pride yes can be grave matter --like a person says I do not need God. But often in the life of say a Christian it is venial matter (sinning in pride in other ways...)

Anger can be grave matter -- like for example (to give an extreme one to make the point) --when one is deliberately angry -seeking to say seriously harm someone.

Or seriously wounding charity or justice or the person *deliberately *flies into a rage that it can be said they lost their reason..etc

But often it can be venial in life. One gets a little angry that something did not go the way one wanted...etc

or take gluttony -- individual acts of such by way of intemperance are often venial in nature.

Though for example one can have grave matter --for example getting drunk where one looses ones reason....etc.

So no it is not a simple: Deadly sins -Capital sins = grave matter.

They are called Capital cause they are the "head" capitus of many other sins that they engender....(and deadly cause yes the seven can be deadly....)

But the term used more so today is capital sins.

Catechism:

1866 Vices can be classified according to the virtues they oppose, or also be linked to the capital sins which Christian experience has distinguished, following St. John Cassian and St. Gregory the Great. They are called "capital" because they engender other sins, other vices. They are pride, avarice, envy, wrath, lust, gluttony, and sloth or acedia.

scborromeo.org/ccc/ccc_toc.htm

1. What are vices?

1866-1867

Vices are the opposite of virtues. They are perverse habits which darken the conscience and incline one to evil. The vices can be linked to the seven, so-called, capital sins which are: pride, avarice, envy, anger, lust, gluttony, and sloth or acedia.

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

Of course sins like fornication, lusting after some woman, adultery etc do not admit of parvity of matter.

Compendium issued by Pope Benedict XVI

1. When does one commit a mortal sin?

1855-1861

One commits a mortal sin when there are simultaneously present: grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent. This sin destroys charity in us, deprives us of sanctifying grace, and, if unrepented, leads us to the eternal death of hell. It can be forgiven in the ordinary way by means of the sacraments of Baptism and of Penance or Reconciliation.

1. When does one commit a venial sin?

1862-1864

One commits a venial sin, which is essentially different from a mortal sin, when the matter involved is less serious or, even if it is grave, when full knowledge or complete consent are absent. Venial sin does not break the covenant with God but it weakens charity and manifests a disordered affection for created goods. It impedes the progress of a soul in the exercise of the virtues and in the practice of moral good. It merits temporal punishment which purifies.

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.