Book to Refute NewAgeism

Hi -

I have a family member heavily caught up in new age religion. She was raised Catholic and has abandoned the faith.

I’m looking for a good book of Catholic apologetics that takes on new ageism.

Any recomendations? It would be an extra bonus if the book was written by Pope Benedict.:slight_smile:

Also, please pray that she my find her way back to the Truth.

Don’t know if she would read it but a couple of years ago the Vatican produced an outstanding statement on this, JESUS CHRIST
***THE BEARER OF THE WATER OF LIFE. ***

vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/interelg/documents/rc_pc_interelg_doc_20030203_new-age_en.html

You could read it and move forward from there.

Goddess Unmasked: The Rise of Neopagan Feminist Spirituality by Philip G. Davis

It is not Catholic, but it does not emphasize non-Catholic/Protestant stuff either. That is, it sticks mainly to refuting paganism using a “mere Christian” model to contrast.

Scott

[quote=utica]Hi -

I have a family member heavily caught up in new age religion. She was raised Catholic and has abandoned the faith.

I’m looking for a good book of Catholic apologetics that takes on new ageism.

Any recomendations? It would be an extra bonus if the book was written by Pope Benedict.:slight_smile:

Also, please pray that she my find her way back to the Truth.
[/quote]

The Handbook of Christian Apologetics by Kreeft & Tacelli
(You can check out Kreeft’s writing by Googling “Peter Kreeft featured writing”)

An excellent and fairly brief book is Moira Noonan’s autobiography, Ransomed From Darkness. It is a real eye-opener. Read it yourself before passing it on. I read it in one sitting before I sent it to my niece, who is also caught up in the lie of the New Age.

I can’t recommend this book highly enough – I am sure it covers all of the deceit your family member is experiencing.

God bless you, and my prayers are with you for her re-conversion.

'thann

Thanks everyone!

I also found a book at amazon by Fr. Mitch Pacwa, “Catholics and the New Age: How Good People Are Being Drawn into Jungian Psychology, the Enneagram, and the Age of Aquarius.”

Has anyone read it?

[quote=utica]Thanks everyone!

I also found a book at amazon by Fr. Mitch Pacwa, “Catholics and the New Age: How Good People Are Being Drawn into Jungian Psychology, the Enneagram, and the Age of Aquarius.”

Has anyone read it?
[/quote]

I have and it is excellent. It is a little on the dated side since it was written about a decade ago, but still addresses many of the issues facing the Church today.

PF

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.