(Book) "To Save a Thousand Souls" by Fr. Brannen

To Save A Thousand Souls—A Guide for Discerning a Vocation to Diocesan Priesthood" by Father Brett A. Brannen

Because it’s been put on my heart to pray especially for Priests and Seminarians as well as all Religious I bought this book. It’s been talked about here and others places so I thought OK I’ll get it and even if I don’t read it I can pass it on. Well I started reading it and I’m only 1/4th through it and IT IS AMAZING. I’m a wife and Mom but I am getting SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH out of this book in regards to praying for Priests, Seminarians and all religious. This could and maybe should be read by all Catholics so that we could understand better JUST EXACTLY ALL that goes into a man becoming a Priest. When I’m finished I’ll let our older son read it. He may get something out of it for himself.

I guess what I’m saying is this is a even though it’s a guide for discerning a vocation to the priesthood it is a good book for all Catholics to read. Very worth the time.

Y’all the more I read in this book the more I find it opening up a MUCH better understanding of the Catholic Priesthood for me and how to pray for those discerning to be Priests, those studying to be Priests and for the Priests God has already given us.

This book needs to be available in EVERY Catholic Church or even several copies to be taken and read and used to begin the process to give us GREAT holy devout Priests. THEY ARE AMONG US! Seriously this is a true BLESSING. The Holy Spirit DEFINITELY guided Father Brannen when he wrote this. I’m sharing it with as many people as I can.

I was offered a copy by my diocese’s vocation director when I first began discerning the priesthood- I had already gotten myself a copy off of Amazon, though.

I agree, it’s a very informative and worthwhile read, and anyone can benefit from it.

It would just make me sad because I can’t be a priest. I do pray and do penance for priests one day a week though.

CajunJoy65:

I am somewhat of a bookworm and now I want to buy the book you mentioned!

I heard it mentioned in another thread and thought it was just for those discerning the priesthood.

Thanks for sharing about it.

Well it is not the cheapest book out there but I figured I’m praying for MANY MORE good, holy, devout men to become Priests why not read more about what they must go through. I am finding it very interesting.

I can truly relate and empathize with this. As a man I wanted to be a priest for many reasons, most especially to be closer and more intimate with Our Lord; yet, He called me to lay my life and will down for a beautiful soul in marriage. Oh, how my heart yearns for Our Lord’s Sacred Heart, yet He wants me to love and sanctify this woman.

So, I’m in this with you. Just be happy you have the Eucharist and Our Lady’s care; that’s really all that matters in the end.

I was able to get a used one on Amazon. Very reasonable!

Fr. Brannen has written another book, “A Priest in the Family”; it’s a great resource for parents of seminarians or anyone discerning a call to the priesthood.

Yes I saw that. I tell you he is truly doing God’s work with the help of The Holy Spirit.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.