Book: Why the Jews Rejected Jesus by David Klinghoffer

This book could also have been titled “Why the Jews hate Jesus.”

As documented in the gospels and in Acts, most Jews rejected Jesus at every turn. They weren’t impressed by miracles, teaching, etc.

This book rips St. Paul in many ways.

We Catholics are usually told the Jews rejected Jesus because He was not the Messiah that they expected. The author’s point of view is that the exegesis of Hebrew Scriptures in the New Testament is thoroughly flawed.

In about 225 pages, the author covers the main arguments against Jesus (based on scripture – why I put this thread in the scripture forum.)

A shorter discussion of the same subject is in “What You Should Know About Jews and Judaism” by Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein. Eckstein is the Rabbi you may have seen in the “Eagle’s Wings” appeals for aid to Jews, on television.

These books reveal the opposition to Jesus in Biblical times up to the present.

(Whoops: I don’t have the book in front of me; the author’s name may be Klingenhoffer. I picked up the book at the public library.)

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/pcb_documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20020212_popolo-ebraico_en.html

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/audiences/alpha/data/aud19850501en.html

‘Why the Jews hate Jesus’

reminds me of a verse I just read a few minutes ago
John 15:24 If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and **hated both me **and my Father

oh BTW if you’re interested, check out Daniel L. Brown’s

“Answering Jewish Objections To Jesus” vol.s 1-4

Thanks to the previous poster that provided the link to the Vatican document, the Pontifical Biblical Commission’s analysis of the Jewish Scriptures.

The introduction is given by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger. Wow! And, this was just in 2001.That alone should be required reading.

At the beginning of this year, I said I’d get the Torah commentaries from the Jewish Publication Society at the then discounted price of $45 each (compared to the sticker price of $75) and I said I’ve just got to read their commentaries on the Torah.

Then, after I’m into the reading, as far as halfway into Numbers, I get this advice to look at the Vatican link above, and Ratzinger says it’s a good idea to become familiar with the Jewish commentaries! Yeah! I knew that was the right thing to do.

I used my anticipated income tax return to pay for the books and I haven’t regretted it. They are of high quality, very high quality. (I’m not advertising here, just passing on my personal endorsement, for anyone who is interested in reading things in that direction.)

Ratzinger’s points out the critical issue of the linkage between the Old Testament and the New Testament. If we don’t establish the true relationship, we might as well stay home on Sunday morning!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.