Book: why you can disagree and remain a faithful catholic

Brief background-my family is from Northern Ireland and Quebec Canada-both grandmothers were Anglican-1 Church of Ireland the other Church of Canada-1 grandfather non practicing Catholic (Irish) the other practicing Catholic (French/Irish)

Lots of first cousins -mixed between RC and Episcopal with a number of agnostics and a few Evangelicals-I raised in New York as Episcopalian

I was given a book by RC cousin titled “Why you can disagree and Remain a faithful Catholic” by Philip S Kaufamn -he is a Benedictine Monk (RC) -it is a great book "not about doing your own thing but about the elusiveness of infallible teaching-comments on the Pope over ruling the Bishops of Vatican II on birth control

discusses birth control-divorce and even abortion -
anyone familiar with this tome and how is it accepted by the RC Church?:confused:

:popcorn:

This monk was banned from speaking in the 1980’s by Bishops I found upon looking him up and some reviews of the book you mention were very harsh, but reasonably so I feel as from what I can gather the work spread dissent.

You can’t disagree with Catholic doctrine and remain a faithful Catholic. That’s the point.

The bishops are not granted the protection of the Holy Spirit in proclaiming Faith and Morals–the Pope is the only one with the charism of infallibility.

Many argue that Humanae Vitae was “only an encyclical,” but the reality is that what it proclaimed was the perennial teaching of the Church since the earliest times.

That book sure doesn’t sound Catholic in any way to me personally. You can’t be catholic and object to what the Church teaches. That’s being a Protestant!

Throw the book away and get those heretical ideas out of your head.

I thought that the bishops, when acting as a college in union with the Pope, also exercise infallibility in matters of faith and morals?

Right, Humanae Vitae, although an encyclical as opposed to a “solemn decree” is infallible, as its teaching have been held “everywhere, always, and by all” and are therefore part of the ordinary Magisterium.

" his monk was banned from speaking in the 1980’s"

got it -no need for further comment-

That book was the beginning of the end of my Catholic faith.

I think the Church’s teachings are pretty darn clear on these issue… don’t ya think?

So maybe you should read the correct information??

I haven’t read it (and probably never will) but I’d like to make a general comment b/c the phrase “you can disagree and remain a faithful catholic” could be misleading.

Simply put, when a Catholic disagrees with e.g. Papal Infallibility or the Immaculate Conception, usually he/she isn’t “kicked out” … but that should *not *be interpreted as the Church saying “Oh that’s okay, we don’t mind.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.