Books about Priests

For the Year of thr Priest I have been trying to read different books about priests. Lets gather a list of good books
My favorite is Grunt Padre by Fr Mode

Others…Jesuit Relations

Grunt Padre is excellent.
Jesuit Fr Walter Ciszek’s With God in Russia is also a good one.

C. Bernard Ruffin’s biography of Padre Pio is one of the best books about a holy and well-known priest - saint as well.

There’s The Cardinal, by Henry Morton Robinson, a novel from the 1950s. It’s currently out of print, but used copies are easy to find. It was also made into a movie. I read it as a teenage and loved it.

Another novel is The Kappillan of Malta, by Nicholas Monsarrat, first published in the 1970s.

There’s also the classic Diary of a Country Priest, by Georges Bernanos. I haven’t read that one myself, but my father liked it.

I know this is a little off topic, but an excellent novel about an Episcopalian priest is Men and Brethren, by James Gould Cozzens, published in the 1930s.

Since it’s the year of the priest, reading some of the Cure of Ars’ writings, the patron saint of Parish Priests, would be good.

I particularly like the book, ‘Sermons of the Cure of Ars’.

I love that book! In fact, a few days ago I checked it out again from the library.

I’ll have to get that book. I have a small book called ‘Thoughts of the Cure D’Ars’ from Tan Books. I read it every so often.

I purchased a book a few years ago that I STILL have not read, (sorry, slow reader), called Father Joe by Tony Hendra. Has anyone else read this book?

How about a priest who will be canonized on October 11?
Blessed Father Damien de Veuster

fatherdamien.com/damien.html

hawaiiforvisitors.com/books/father-damien.htm

I love Fr. Damien, I read a book published by Image Books about him, quite an interesting life, I believe it included the famous letter of Robert Louis Stevenson defending him. A daring man, to serve in a virtual prison island of the diseased, and something so fearsome as leprosy.

The Unchanging Heart of the Priesthood by Fr. Thomas Acklin. It’s a most helpful antidote to the insidious book The Changing Face of the Priesthood.

Acklin’s book is part apologetic, part spiritual devotion. I highly recommend it. :slight_smile:

If you like Fiction Father Elijah is an excellent book - a bit apocalyptic, but its main character is a monk/priest

For all you Benedictine types: “Father Paul of Moll” by Edward van Speybrouck is very good and “The Life of Father De Smet, S.J.: Apostle of the Rocky Mountains” for you “Little Town on the Prairie” fans.

One book I read about six years ago that I really liked was called *Priest: Ten Good Men Serving the Church Today *by Michael Rose. You can probably find it at a discount through Alibris or Abebooks.

It has some good vocation stories, and some very positive stories of parish priests, such as Fr. Timothy Vavarek (Diocese of Austin), Fr. James Gould (Diocese of Arlington(VA)), and Fr. Edward Perrone (Archdiocese of Detroit).

Anther good fiction recommendation; “Grandmother and the Priests” by Taylor Caldwell

Nice young fellow in *The World’s Funniest Atheist * named Father Connolly with the nickname “The Big Cannoli.”

At twenty minutes after ten the next morning, soon after Paul had returned from a long walk and Sam was deep into a television talk show that had recently replaced one of its four hosts, they heard a knocking at the front door.
“Opportunity,” Paul said and his father laughed.
“Open the door or burn in hell!” a deep voice said with authority through the closed door. Paul jumped and his father laughed again.
“If those are my choices,” Sam said loud enough for the man on the porch to hear him, “I choose eternal damnation.”
“I bring the Way, the Truth and the Life,” the voice said. “I bring the very body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.”
“And…?” his father asked.
“Maple bars.”
“Open the door.” This to Paul, who now did as his father commanded. What greeted him on the other side was a fellow in his late twenties, at least six-feet-six and two hundred eighty pounds. Black shoes, black pants, black clerical shirt, red polyester baseball jacket. The white Roman collar around his neck had to be at least a size twenty.
“I’ve got Jesus in my pocket and pastries in a bag,” the priest said.
“Take the cannoli, leave the gun,” Sam shouted.
“The Godfather,” the priest said. “And it’s ‘leave the gun, take the cannoli.”
“You sure?”
“Hey, I have classmates who still call me ‘The Big Cannoli.’”

I read Those Mysterious Priests by Fulton J Sheen and it was one of the books that inspired me to go to the seminary back in the day.

I was going to suggest Playboy to Priest by Father Ken Roberts, but I just did an Internet search and found that he had been accused of pedophilia from several sources and since 1995 has been banned from ministry. Here’s the article in case no one believes me. ncregister.com/site/article/dallas_bishop_suspends_father_ken_roberts1/

I’m really very depressed about this. I was a big “fan” of him back in the 80’s when he was on EWTN a lot. :frowning:

There are the Father Brown books by G.K. Chesterson. He also wrote biographies of Thomas Aquinas and Francis of Assisi

Desert Padre. May or may not be in print still. I bought my copy in Lone Pine, CA a few years ago.

Treasure in Clay: The Autobiography of Fulton J. Sheen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.