Books about the history of the catholic church

I really want to read more about the history of the catholic church. I know that topic is impossible to cram into one book, but I’d really like to know more about the history of the Catholic Church, because I don’t really know much after 400-600 AD or so.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi, from what you describe I think the best book would be How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization, by the great Thomas Woods. God bless.

When I was in my 20s, I enjoyed reading histories of the Catholic Church. Here are the ones I recommend. They are all by Catholic authors. It is a good idea to ask for recommendations here--if you picked a history of the church or a more general history at random you may very well find that the writer takes a dim view of Catholicism.

Here are shorter one-volume popular ones meant for the general reader.
    Hughes, Philip. "A  Popular History of the Catholic Church." Unfortunately it doesn't cover the most recent decades.
    Croker, H. W. "Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church." This recent publication is well-regarded and has been on my to-read list. However, I would recomment the Hughes book above first.

Here are longer multivolume ones for the more serious reader.
    Hughes, Philip. "History of the Church." In three volumes. However, I was disappointed after getting to the third volume to find this history only goes to 1517.
    Carroll, Warren H. "History of Christendom." The fifth volume only gets to 1815, since the author died before he could finish his history. This history too is well-regarded.

[quote="Forte, post:1, topic:216014"]
I really want to read more about the history of the catholic church. I know that topic is impossible to cram into one book, but I'd really like to know more about the history of the Catholic Church, because I don't really know much after 400-600 AD or so.

Anyone have any suggestions?

[/quote]

This book is wonderful:

Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church: A 2,000-Year History

Here is a link @ Amazon.

Pax,
OA

Thanks, I'll definitely be checking them out.

This one is a bit aggressive, but Pope Fiction by Patrick Madrid is pretty good. Busts a lot of myths and rumors about the pope (ie that he supported Hitler and killed 'millions of people' in the middle ages).

The Catholic Church through the Ages: A History by John Vidmar is a great read.

After each age, he suggests other books and audio-visuals on more detailed subjects and rates them as easy, moderate, or difficult.

The Triumph book was pretty good, but a lot of info to take in. Also be prepared for all the fallenness of humanity that is in that book. I have to admit that I was not ready for it, but when you read the Bible it's not much different. It's the story of God and His stiff-necked people.

I'll ditto the Triump book. I haven't finished it but was impressed with the depth of knowledge that was in it.

Yes, I finished reading Triumph several months ago, and it was a lot to take in, but makes me realize how much history there is in the Church, and its effect on the world. Good reference also.

[quote="mdgspencer, post:3, topic:216014"]
When I was in my 20s, I enjoyed reading histories of the Catholic Church. Here are the ones I recommend. They are all by Catholic authors. It is a good idea to ask for recommendations here--if you picked a history of the church or a more general history at random you may very well find that the writer takes a dim view of Catholicism.

Here are shorter one-volume popular ones meant for the general reader.
    Hughes, Philip. "A  Popular History of the Catholic Church." Unfortunately it doesn't cover the most recent decades.
    Croker, H. W. "Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church." This recent publication is well-regarded and has been on my to-read list. However, I would recomment the Hughes book above first.

Here are longer multivolume ones for the more serious reader.
    Hughes, Philip. "History of the Church." In three volumes. However, I was disappointed after getting to the third volume to find this history only goes to 1517.
    Carroll, Warren H. "History of Christendom." The fifth volume only gets to 1815, since the author died before he could finish his history. This history too is well-regarded.

[/quote]

I am confused do you mean Warren Carroll died? I have just looked him up and cannot find anything about his death. He seems to be alive from my research.:confused: with a sixth volume coming out soon.

I had heard that this author had died. But just I checked the Christendom College website after reading your message, and I saw that, luckily, he is still alive.

[quote="adrift, post:11, topic:216014"]
I am confused do you mean Warren Carroll died? I have just looked him up and cannot find anything about his death. He seems to be alive from my research.:confused: with a sixth volume coming out soon.

[/quote]

christendom.edu/about/warren-carroll.php

Apparently he did pass away, though, since the most recent post…

Here is a one volume history.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.