BOOKS: Catholicism for Dummies

Hi, was wondering if anyone has read this book. If so, what did you enjoy, and would you recommend it?

I have it and found it to be quite good. The author is Father John Trigilio. :thumbsup:

Thanks Mary Gail…

I’ve actually just placed an order for it on Amazon…it looks to be a good ‘‘one-stop shop’’, and the fact it’s written for dummies should suit me fine :slight_smile:

I quite like Fr John…I heard him on CAL the other day.

I’d like to add my voice to this and say that I liked that book, too.

I would also like to warn anyone who might buy this book: Don’t confuse this book with “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Understanding Catholicism” which has too many inaccuracies to be acceptable.

I’ll second everything that JoeMike said.

Catholicism for Dummies is a great book on Catholicism. It’s thorough, accurate, and easy to read. Even a lifelong Catholic would probably learn something from it.

Now, concerning the other, there was just a thread on The Idiot’s Guide to Catholicism. This book is grossly inaccurate and downright heretical in parts. Avoid it like the plague.

I found it to be a great book - it was one of many I got out of the library when I was just starting to look into the Chuch seriously. It also bears an Imprimatur and Nihil obstat, too, making it a trustworthy source of information.

I wish this was truly the way we could discern whether a book was trustworthy or not, but I have found many books that bear these to be not reliable.

Catholicism for Dummies is awesome though. :thumbsup:

Kathy

Thanks everyone…:thumbsup: so looking forward to it hitting my shores, can’t wait.

Yeah, the idiots book is terrible.

I agree 100%. Catholicism for dummies is excellent. The complete idiots guide is aweful.

I have read it, and would recommend it. I lke it because you can read it cover to cover, like any book, or you can skip around and just read the sections that interest you at the moment. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comment. I’m not being sarcastic or doubting you here, but do could you please list some books that are unreliable with the Nihil stamp? I would just like to have on reference in case someone brings up this point to me. Thank you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.