BOOKS: "Come Be My Light"

Has anyone read “Come Be My Light” yet? This book was published after Mother Teresa’s death. It intersperses information about her life with letters she wrote which describe her long “dark night of the soul”. You can read a very moving excerpt here: acts17verse28.blogspot.com/20…-my-light.html.

Her faithfulness through years of feeling that God was absent and no longer loved or wanted her is so inspiring. I’d love to hear what other people think of this book.

Thanks, and God bless you!

I haven’t read the book yet, but I remember the big fuss made by the secular media when Mother Teresa’s dark night of the soul was revealed. Just to show how clueless they are in spiritual matters, they were trying to make her out to be a hypocrite. When it was pointed out that the dark night is a condition which has been experienced by many saints, they dropped the subject.

I have to say that this book was one of the best I have ever read on Mother Teresa. Yes it goes into her letters to her confessor, and yes she asked that they all be destroyed, but her confessor realized that these letters are what would prove that she should be made a saint. I highly recommend this book if you would like to know more about Mother Teresa and the wonderful things she did in her life.

I’ve read it. It’s fantastic. I remember people tried to make it into some “scandal” that she went through a period of spiritual darkness. I thought it made her life and her witness to Christ just that much more incredible and inspiring.

[quote=GrowingUpLane]I remember people tried to make it into some “scandal” that she went through a period of spiritual darkness. I thought it made her life and her witness to Christ just that much more incredible and inspiring.
[/quote]

I agree completely - I only wish I could be a fraction as faithful as she was.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.