BOOKS: "Evolution of God" by Richard Wright

Anyone know anything about this book? It made the cover of the New York Times Book Review last Sunday:

nytimes.com/2009/06/28/books/review/Bloom-t.html?ref=books

Wright is interviewed by the Times here:

nytimes.com/2009/05/31/magazine/31wwln-q4-t.html

Anyone familiar with or have an opinion regarding his work/ideas?

I’m also curious, so I’m resurrecting this thread.

A friend who’s reading it right now laid out the principal argument as such, and he isn’t all the way through, yet:

1. “You gotta problem, we gotta god for it. Wind? We gotta wind god. Rivers? We gotta river god. Houses falling down? We gotta god for construction.”

2. “We’ve got a god just for our own city.”

3. “Our city just conquered your city. We won’t deny the existence of your city’s god (hey, we’ve already got a hundred gods – what’s one more?), but we will point out that, obviously, our god can beat up your god. Our god’s the boss, the head honcho deity, the Numero Uno divinity. Got that?”

4. “Our god is the top god, the leader of all the gods. He sends the other gods on missions.”

5. “Our god actually executes the missions himself; he has all the talents of the lesser gods. They’re just sort of personifications of our god’s vast powers.”

6. “Our god has taken over all the functions previously handled by lesser gods. He’s the only god – we don’t need no steenkin’ minor gods. Or maybe we’ll call them ‘angels’.”

Any ideas? I don’t see that this even precludes the existence of God, personally.

A good idea would be to read Chesterton’s The Everlasting Man. :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t you know it, but I already have not only The Evolution of God on hold but also The Everlasting Man. Side-by-side reading, perhaps?

In The Everlasting Man, Chesterton tells a great story from early on in his career. He was given the assignment of writing a review for a book called The Evolution of the Idea of God by Grant Allen. Chesterton remarked that it would be much more interesting if God wrote a book about the evolution of the idea of Grant Allen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.