Books for discerning the Priesthood

**Dear Brothers and Sisters in the SACRED HEART!

What are good books that deal with the Priesthood? What are some good spiritual reading titles that one would recommend to a Seminarian? I am looking for things especially concering the mission and character/theology of the Priesthood. I am also looking for books on sacrificial love

Can anyone recommend me a list? **

Fr. Brett A. Bannen’s To Save a Thousand Souls seems like the go-to guide nowadays for discernment and touches somewhat on the theology of the priesthood.

For a more detailed theological look at the priesthood and their primary duty (the offering-up of the Mass), see Fr. Michael Muller’s The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

“The Changing Face of the Priesthood” Daniel CozZens

And "In Good Company" by Fr James Martin, SJ

[quote="sw85, post:2, topic:328784"]
Fr. Brett A. Bannen's *To Save a Thousand Souls* seems like the go-to guide nowadays for discernment and touches somewhat on the theology of the priesthood.

For a more detailed theological look at the priesthood and their primary duty (the offering-up of the Mass), see Fr. Michael Muller's The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

[/quote]

That book was my best friend for a while. It is an excellent discernment resource. I will look into Fr. Mullers book!

“The Dignities and Duties of the Priest” by St Alphonsus Marie de Ligouri certainly is near the top of the list. Fr Joseph Fenton’s book on the secular/diocesan priesthood is a solid work that emphasis’ the priest’s work under and with the bishop and the connection of him with his brother priests that are in his diocese(rare because it focus’ on the diocesan priesthood; there are many good books on the religous that are priests).
One that is very good and especially helpful to those who are called by God to the religous life is “Christ: The Ideal of the Priest” by Abbot Columba Marmion.
Something generally geared toward priests/religous, but also useful for the laymen is “The Soul of the Apostolate” by Dom Jean-Baptiste Chautard, OCSO.
St John Eudes has written on it. I can’t think of the exact title at the moment.
Of the above, “The Dignities and Duties” is the must read, if I can put it that way. There is more, but I will let it go at that for now.

CB

I echo the previous statements about To Save a Thousand Souls. Parenthetically, once you are in Seminary/on your way to the Priesthood, read Venerable Fulton Sheen’s book The Priest is Not His Own. It’s an absolutely incredible book that truly reflects the beauty and sacrifice involved in the Catholic Priesthood; an absolute must read!

Cardinal Dolan's Priest's for the Third Millennium

Thomas Merton's The Seven Story Mountain and Sign of Jonas

“Those Mysterious Priests” – Archbishop Fulton Sheen.

**Thank You everyone!!

I will be going book shopping soon!! :D:D**

My list (many have already been mentioned):
[LIST]
*]To Save a Thousand Souls by the Rev. Brett Brennan
*]Why Priests are Happy: A Study of the Psychological and Spiritual Health of Priests by Stephen Rossetti
*]The Joy of Priesthood by Stephen Rossetti
*]Men of Brave Heart: The Virtue of Courage in Priestly Life by José Gomez
*]Many Are Called: Rediscovering the Glory of the Priesthood by Scott Hahn
*]The Priest, A Bridge to God: Inspiration and Ecouragement for Priests and Seminarians by H.H. Benedict XVI
*]The Diocesan Priest: Consecrated and Sent by David Bohr
*]The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
*]A Man for God and for Others by Fidelis Igwenwanne
*]Priests for the Third Millennium by H.E. Timothy Cardinal Dolan
*]The Priest Is Not His Own by H.E. Fulton Sheen
*]Liturgy of the Hours
*]7 Secrets of the Eucharist by Vinny Flynn
[/LIST]

In my opinion, these cover a bit of everything from discernment, to priestly spirituality, to parish life, to priestly character. Hope you’ll find a few you like.

Great list. Since I am in the early stages of discerning an “old man” vocation, I will dive into these titles.

[quote="GoRangers, post:12, topic:328784"]
Great list. Since I am in the early stages of discerning an "old man" vocation, I will dive into these titles.

[/quote]

I will pray for You!!

Ave Maria!

Priesthood:
The Dignity and Duties of the Priest by St. Alphonsus Liguori
The Priest Is Not His Own by Vernerable Fulton J. Sheen
Priest – The Man Of God by St. Joseph Cafasso
Christ: The Ideal of the Priest by Dom Columba Marmion

General vocation:
Come and Follow Me by Fr. Stephano M. Manelli

Sacrificial love:
Joy in Suffering According to St. Therese of the Child Jesus By: Bishop A. A. Noser (small novena booklet)

Mary, Mother of Vocations, pray for us. Ave Maria!

fra John Paul

[quote="FFI_Griswold, post:14, topic:328784"]
Ave Maria!

Priesthood:
The Dignity and Duties of the Priest by St. Alphonsus Liguori
The Priest Is Not His Own by Vernerable Fulton J. Sheen
Priest – The Man Of God by St. Joseph Cafasso
Christ: The Ideal of the Priest by Dom Columba Marmion

General vocation:
Come and Follow Me by Fr. Stephano M. Manelli

Sacrificial love:
Joy in Suffering According to St. Therese of the Child Jesus By: Bishop A. A. Noser (small novena booklet)

Mary, Mother of Vocations, pray for us. Ave Maria!

fra John Paul

[/quote]

Thank You Brother!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.