Books for someone who is new

I may be taking RCIA classes this fall since i am loving the faith,but i was wondering what are some good books to help me understand and learn about the faith.i have a ignatius bible rsv 2nd catholic edition that i been using for over a year.and last night i order Catechism of the Catholic Church: Second Edition and Ignatius Catholic Study Bible: New Testament.
besides this website i like having books to read and go to for reference.so what are some good reads to have to help understand the faith.
anyone have suggestions .
thanks

My suggestion would be to read the Catechism of the Catholic Church along with Catholic Christianity by Peter Kreeft. Both of these will help you to understand Catholicism.

“Catholicism and Fundamentalism” by Karl Keating is very good and anything by Scott Hahn.

ignatius.com/Products/TCF-P/the-teachings-of-the-church-fathers.aspx

The Teachings of the Church Fathers

My Pastor gave me a number of what I can only describe as “leaflet-folios” that explain the CCC in the absolute simplest of terms. They’re the journey of faith series from Liguori Publications. I believe there are four sets altogether. They’re perfect for someone like me who isn’t going through RCIA in the particular sense, because that is exactly what they are designed to be used for. The four sets are Catechuminate, Inquiry, Mystagogy, and Lent. Very digestible reading with citations enough for deeper study at a later date.

liguori.org/productdetails.cfm?PC=6335 Catechuminate

At $5.25 for each set of leaflets, it’s hard to go wrong!

rome sweet home is a great and inspiring story and also try Hail Holy Queen which helped me can a complete understanding of Mary our Mother which both books are by scott hahn

I would recommend Scott Hahn’s Lord Have Mercy and Brant Pitre’s (am not sure about the name but check Ignatius Press) Jewish Roots of the Eucharist.

And of course, the work of our Pope, Jesus of Nazareth book1 and 2.

I warmly recommend Ludwig Ott, Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma. At first glance it looks extremely hard-core, but that’s only because it gets to the point with no fluff. It states things clearly and concisely and has a long and well-deserved reputation as a superb reference work.

When I was on the fence between Catholicism and Protestantism, my years of 1970s and 1980s CCD were no help. One of the major issues that troubled me was the concept of merit. It seemed to me the Catholic position was that you earn your salvation by doing good works, while the Protestant position was that God saves you on account of Jesus’ sacrifice. Ott’s explanation of the Catholic position settled the matter in my mind once and for all.

United States Catholic Catechism for Adults - This is the main textbook I use when teaching RCIA. It covers the fundamentals of the bigger catechism in a very readable way, along with meditation points and discussion questions. At the beginning of each chapter is a short biography of a saint or other important person in Church history whose life helps illustrate the chapter’s topic.

The books you have already selected are also excellent choices. I would have recommended each of them if you did not already have them.

Get a copy of the Compendium of the Catechism --issued by Pope Benedict XVI and read that through too…

Lots of good suggestions above but it occurs to me that you didn’t tell us what, if any, faith background you are coming from. Some authors speak more directly to one background than another, based on their own experiences and expertise.

Brant Pitre’s Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist is a great suggestion. I have listened to several of Dr. Pitre’s lectures (in person and on CD) and I am thrilled that he is now writing books. He’s an incredible Scripture scholar! And, of course, Scott Hahn is as well.

Along with the other amazing suggestions here I firmly believe that everyone should read The Catholic Controversy by St. Francis de Sales.

Im glad you asked this question because i was wondering the same thing :slight_smile:

OMGOMG!!! Yes, but … not for beginners. If she was on the fence, then I would have recommended it. But she’s only in RCIA.

lol that made me laugh that was the most teenager thing ever said here

Hello Finding Faith,

I’m not sure some of the preceding recommendations will give you what you are seeking.

The best single volume treatment of the Catholic Faith for a popular audience remains Frank Sheed’s MAP OF LIFE. Sheed is better than Kreeft, Kelly, etc. You can get it from Ignatius. If I were teaching RCIA, this is the book I would use. The second best book of this kind is Leo Trese’s THE FAITH EXPLAINED. Ott is a superb reference, but it is not the kind of thing you are going to sit down and read. Nor is the Catechism. Though you should own both.

May I also recommend Fr, Edward Leen’s, IN THE LIKENESS OF CHRIST. There are many fine works of spiritual direction. This is my favorite.

Peace and Good,

Christopher Check

Protestant,i guess you can say i come from southern baptist church since i live in the south and hey out number most church’s in the city i live in.But i won’t say i was one since i don’t hold there views on issues and about the catholic faith.

But your background is Christian, the books suggested here will make sense. If you didn’t have that background a lot of the apologetic texts wouldn’t because they’re sort of written to explain how the Catholic church is different from other Christian communities. . . .

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Alan Schreck’s Catholic and Christian which I still find to be one of the best introductions.

“The Essential Catholic Survival Guide” available from right here on Catholic answers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.