BOOKS: Has anyone read "Mister God, this is Anna" by Fynn?

Has anyone read the book?
I got the feeling that it’s an unchristian book… Any thoughts?

Yes, I have, I really liked it at the time (several years ago) but I know what you mean, the portrayal of stuffy adults trying to make Anna go to church etc. Her attitude is that she doesn’t need it… but obviously as Christians we all are sinners and in need of chuch!

It kind of reminds me of the poem by William Blake, The Garden of Love (here’s some of it):

I went to the Garden of Love,
And saw what I never had seen;
A Chapel was built in the midst,
Where I used to play on the green.

And the gates of this Chapel were shut
And “Thou shalt not,” writ over the door;
So I turned to the Garden of Love
That so many sweet flowers bore.

I don’t know why I thought of that poem, but it also shows the typical ‘free sprit’ cliche that church going is all about ‘thou shalt not’ and losing sight of what matters.

I also worried about this because it was such a lovely book in a way, very interesting, philosophical etc, but organised religion (Christian) gets dismissed as so much hypocrisy and hot air. So that spoiled it for me somewhat. At least though, it does show a child with a deep faith and intimate relationship with God, which I found quite moving. Isn’t it a true story or am I wrong about that?

I haven’t read it but I looked it up on Amazon and it sounds interesting. I may check it out sometime for myself.

I was wondering who Fynn was, but I see it is a pseudonym the author uses for a several in a series of “Anna” books.

Yes, I also liked the book years ago (when I was still a lapsed Catholic!), so probably I didn’t see the problem. When I picked it up and browsed it again yesterday, I read the part when she said that “Church goers are the people who don’t know who God is, because if they know God, they’ll stop going to Church as God is everywhere” (paraphrase). :confused:

From what I understand, the book only speaks about faith and God in general and not talking about specific religion and Anna has a close relationship with him. Maybe we can excuse her as she was just only 5 years old and doesn’t know Catholic Faith? :rolleyes:

And I still have no clue whether it’s true story or just fiction.
Wikipedia article on the book

I have read the book several times, and I love it. It’s not Catholic, and Anna doesn’t go to Church, but some of the ideas in it are quite lovely. It captures the childlike wonder at the miracle that is life and our world. I would love to raise my children to have Anna’s spirituality, her wonder and delight and curiosity. She does say, however, that going to Church is like learning to read - once you understand, you don’t need to go back. :rolleyes: Obviously that doesn’t fly, but other than that attitude, the idea that God is everywhere is great.

She also shows a love of learning. Math delights her. Insects and flowers and seeds show the miracle of birth.

I don’t know, I just love that book. There are many books out there that don’t agree with Catholic teaching. Of all of them, I’d say this is the most acceptable - sure, Anna talks directly to God instead of going through the Church, but she has the right degree of reverence, and she’s just a child. It’s a beautiful book, and I’d love to re-read it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.