BOOKS: "House of Leaves"

Anybody else read that book? If yes, what do you think of it?

It has been fascinating me… trying to analyze it etc. I hope that’s not wrong.

Kathrin

I loved the book, but I just can’t even start to really figure it out. LOL - i’m not convined there really is an awful lot TO figure out. It was a really fun mind trip in any case.

There is a web forum where people discuss the book… it’s kind of fun, you know, trying to find out if maybe that person is in reality the same asthis other person, etc…
There is a whole lot about darkness in the book, and for a while I was worried it had a mostly negatvie message… but really hidden away there are some happy endings too!
Which I like, and I also like to point out some Christian perspecitives on message boards like that.
But also it’s just kind of exciting because the whole thing seems kind of “deep” to me… but of course we have to be careful not to make such things into any kind of “false idol” right?

Kathrin

Kathrin, I’m blaming you for tempting me. LOL. I looked the book up, and it really does look interesting, so of course, I ordered it. Thank God for used book sites. :smiley:

Can you give a link, or name to the web site for the book?

:doh2: Oy oy oy my scrupulous part wants to make somersaults into that one…
BUT! Well, I did like the book. However, at least let me say this:

In the beginning ti warns you of nightmares. I don’t think I haven’t gotten bad nightmares yet because of that book but it does have a way of including the reader and making you wonder what is real and what isn’t… plus it has very very scary parts… :hypno:

And: It’s not a book I would list under catholic/Christian - just in case you thought because I posted it here it would be that kind of book.

(My opinion kind of is, there is something catholic/Christian in everything!)
:slight_smile:

Ok, this said… oh, the forum: www.houseofleaves.com is the homepage. Careful though, the group that discusses the book has their own rules… for example, they want you to use the search function first and look for old threads and add to them instead of starting new threads. Which can be weird, but that’s the way it seems to work.

:o
I feel bad now if this book is not spiritually healthy.
:slight_smile:
but good if it is, or let’s say, if it is ok to just read stuff like that for pleasure or excitement… you know, like a thriller/horror story…

Kathrin

Oh. I forgot another warning. Since this IS a Catholic board.
There are some sex scenes.

No somersaults needed, Kathrin. I wouldn’t want you to hurt yourself. :smiley:

Don’t worry. I checked it out on Amazon and read a couple reviews, so I’m not expecting a Catholic/Christian book. And I’m not worried about nightmares. Of course, if I DO have them, I’ll blame you. (NOT! Lol) I’m a Stephen King fan, so I can take it. :wink: Actually, one of his was the only book that ever scared me… The Shining. I can see the good vs evil in alot of his books, so I know what you mean about that.

Thanks for the warning about the sex scenes. I skip over those when they happen to be in a book I otherwise like/want to read.

And thanks for the link. I’m going to check that out. If it looks like it has spoilers, I’ll bookmark it for ‘after’. I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

I have done that too.

As for scary books - ever read anything by Mo Hayder?? One of my favorites…

I saw a book by Stephen King I wanted to read at the library, but then I was worried it might be too un-Christian am I wrong? His stuff is not “demonic” or anything like that is it?

Kathrin

I bought this book and haven’t read it yet. Now I’m looking forward to reading it!

No, I’ve never read anything by Mo Hayder. I’ll have to check him (?) out. (watch it be a woman…LOL)

Which book of King’s did you want to read? I’ve read all of them except his newest, because these days I wait for the paperback in most books. I don’t see his books as being demonic, even if there are ‘ghosts’ and other evil things in them, because he has the good fighting the evil. Peretti does that in his books, and they’re Christian.

Before anyone says anything, I’m not saying S. King writes Christian horror stories. If it’s any help, and you’re familiar with Bud MacFarlane’s books…a Catholic author…one of his favorite authors is King.

Mo Hayder is a woman. :smiley:

The title of one of her books is now called “The Devil of Nanking” but when I read it the title was “Tokyo”.

Another one I read was “The Treatment”.

And then, the newest: “Pig Island.” There is something about her books… that is kind of “haunting”… minor details that suddenly turn out to be very important in a very disquieting, yes horrifying sort of way…

I think the book by King I saw at the library was the newest one, “Liz’s Stroy” or something?

Hey, thank you for your information on Stephen King! :slight_smile:

Kathrin

So I found out when I looked her up on Amazon to check out the books. :blush: Figures… LOL.

The title of one of her books is now called “The Devil of Nanking” but when I read it the title was “Tokyo”.

Another one I read was “The Treatment”.

And then, the newest: “Pig Island.” There is something about her books… that is kind of “haunting”… minor details that suddenly turn out to be very important in a very disquieting, yes horrifying sort of way…

Thanks! I put one of hers on my wish list. I think it was Birdman? But I’ll have to go put the ones you mentioned on the list with a note they were recommended.

I think the book by King I saw at the library was the newest one, “Liz’s Stroy” or something

“Lisey’s Story”. That’s not the newest, though. I forget the title…I can’t believe I forget the title! Yes, I can…:shrug: Good thing I have a wish list. LOL. “Lisey’s Story” was not one of my favorite King books. I think that if you aren’t familiar with his work, this book wouldn’t make too much sense. I could be wrong, but it seemed there were ‘in jokes’ and references a fan would pick up on. Or maybe if you haven’t read his other works, you might like it better than I did.

I’m trying to think of what to recommend if you haven’t read King before. “The Shining” if you like books about hauntings. That is the only book that has ever scared me in my entire life. I has some gross things in it, but from the descriptions of Mo’s work (female…lol), it seems that you aren’t squeamish. :wink: If you haven’t read it, but have seen the movie with Jack Nicholson, try to erase the movie from your mind. It was just so NOT the story King wrote.

“The Stand” is an epic story of good vs evil in a world desimated by a ‘super-flu’ that the government was testing for germ warfare. It’s a bit dated, but that’s ok.

“The Green Mile” is terrific. And with that I do like the movie. Of course, the book is always better. :thumbsup:

Hey, thank you for your information on Stephen King! :slight_smile:

Kathrin

You are welcome, and I’ll shut up now. There are so many more of his books I could recommend, but those, IMHO are the cream.

And I remembered…his newest is “Duma Key”.

“Birdman” is the only one by Hayder that I haven’t read I think.

I should have maybe, before reading “The Treatment”, because as far as I understand the same characters appear in it. Since I didn’t know and had read the second book first (and it stood very well on its own too) I didn’t feel like going back to the first one. Maybe I should.

The other books are about other characters.

Kathrin

p.s. I am thinking about looking for “The Shining” :eek:

Keep the lights on. :whistle: (whistling in the dark to keep the spooks away. LOL)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.