BOOKS: Lorna Byrne's "Angels in My Hair"

A priest recently recommended a best selling Irish book author named Lorna Byrne and her new spiritual autobiography called “Angels in My Hair”. Lorna is reputed to be a modern day Irish mystic who has seen Angels ever since she can remember as a small child. Her book is written at their desire to help give people who are abandoning hope to take courage in the certainty that their guardian angel’s (and others) are all here around us, ever at our side as helpers and guardians. Lorna was given a special mission to help many people become aware of our spiritual unseen world that is all around us. Her book has already become a bestseller in Ireland and Britain and was just published in the United States.

I visited her website and listened to the video interviews and came away with mixed feelings. She has a soft, calm and confident testimony but a few times she suggests that while raised Catholic she does not always go to church and mentioned a few times that The Church has changed a position or two on a teaching of God and the Angels informed her when it was wrong. Catholics know of course that the Church has never changed its teachings on God and perhaps she means a local pastor misspoke at a church service or something like that. So I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt but wish she were going to mass EVERY Sunday as The Church teaches.

I do get the impression that she is trying to not alienate herself from the Protestants and secularists in the UK community and may be soft-peddling her Catholic faith by downplaying her Catholic faith. So I am showing some caution but otherwise she sounds like she has amazing insights.

LornaByrne.com

Video Interview: Lorna Byrne Interview - June 2009

Direct Link to more Lorna Byrne Video Interviews

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41aOEaHA4CL.BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01.jpg

Amazon Books: Angels In My Hair by Lorna Fitzgerald Byrne

I wanted to ask if anyone has read her book yet and to give an opinion on her.

Thoughts?

Mods: If this OP should be in a different forum area please move it.

James

I’ve never heard of this book, but if I were to read it I’d read it with caution. A lot of New Agers around here (where I live) stress the importance of angels. A good friend of mine is so swept up with angels and a channeler of angels that whenever she talks about them, her whole attitude changes. It’s funny because she never talks to me about God, only about angels and how there are so many of them and we don’t even know it and how they protect us and how they are so important in our lives.

I don’t agree with these things because, according to her, the channeled angels stress their own importance on themslevs. God protects us through His angels. The fact that these seen or channeled “angels” never glorify God (at least from what my friend tells me, they don’t) throws up a big red flag. I do however agree that angels are everywhere and all around. The problem with this is that the devil is also a fallen angel. The word “angel” both corresponds to the Angels in Heaven and the fallen angels in Hell.

Heavenly Angels constantly give Glory to God. They do God’s Will and if one ever appeared to us, the message of giving God His due praise and glory will be one of the things out or their mouths, that’s how important God is to them and should be to us. The fact that so many people are turning away from God today should be an indication that if angels were to appear to us, probably the major message from them would be to give thanks and praise and glory to our God along with whatever else God had sent them here to communicate to us.

The focus of Angels is God, not themselves. If the book doesn’t give that messsage, then I’d say it’s false teaching and not Catholic by nature.

My 2 cents…

God Bless,
Snert

I read “Angels in My Hair” twice and I have several thoughts about it. Overall, I found it very inspiring and supportive of my Catholic faith. What is very disturbing , however, is the absence of any mention of Jesus or the Holy Spirit. For example in one section, when she clearly had a vision of Jesus, a young man in white who radiated light love and truth, she refers to Him as “God”. In another section she directs her readers to implore their angels for help because they even influence our body functions like breathing and heart beat, but she never refers her readers to implore Almighty God or his Holy Spirit. A third concern surrounds the comments in her book which states that a soul chooses his/her destiny, including their parents, prior to their birth. Of course, we know, that God knows all, but that He creates a soul at the moment of conception.

However, she does refer to Michael, the angel who appeared to her since childhood, as Michael the Archangel, and refers to the mother angel who appeared to her since childhood as the Mother of God. She believes the Mother of God will make herself known to all in the future. Also, she describes encounters with the devil, and acknowledges that Satan and Hell exist. She also describes a few incidents where she takes on the sufferings of others, which sounds like a victim soul. She is very compassionate in her writings and wants all persons to know of God’s love and that He appointed every soul a guardian angel who will never give up on them;.

She admits in her book that she cannot read or write so I wonder if this has influenced her lack of knowledge regarding the teachings of the Church. I also wonder if she is under spiritual direction. She seems very humble in the interviews and in her book and if she was totally in error, she would not acknowledge Satan or evil. I am praying about writing to her with my concerns but I worry that she would not receive my message since her website states she cannot answer personal emails.

I am interested in hearing from faithful Catholics who have read her book. Thank you and God Bless You.

I’m wondering if anyone else has read her book and has thoughts about it.

Well, I finally went to her website and took a look at the video link posted above. As with a lot of things, truth is mixed with untruth. Her definite emphasis mainly on Angels and secondarily on God is a red flag. Another red flag that jumped out at me was her statement “the most important thing for a soul is to live their life to the fullest”. Since everyone has different ideas of what living their lives to the fullest means, it’s an ambiguous statemtent. God is not specifically mentioned anywhere in “the most important thing a soul should do”. Decieving angels have similar messages. Like the most important thing we should do is to love. That’s one I heard from my friend with the angel channeler. That means different things to different people; there’s no specific message here. It could even suggest that sexual activity is love, as many people today believe. My point here is the messages seem ambiguous and can be followed many ways, including ways leading away from Our Lord.

All that said, I can understand - if she is telling the truth - that she would have emphasis on Angels and not so much God if she sees Angels everyday and not God. However, the Angels only seem to mention God as if He were an important, but not absolutely essential, part of our lives. They don’t stress to her that God is more important than them and God deserves the praise and attention more than them. That in itself makes me sceptical of her message. Don’t you think that a true Heavenly Angel would have someone write a book about God perhaps explaining a bit about the Angels? Not the other way around - writing a book about Angels perhaps explaining a bit about God? Yet they told her she would write a book about them. That seems to smack a little bit of pride on the Angels’ part to me. And although I would love to delve more deeply in her views on Angels, I can’t bring myself to read her book. Probably becuase when I read anything that seemingly contradicts basic Christian teaching yet is presented as such, I get too angry and/or sad to finish it. I winced a few times in that interview, and if I read the book, I’m sure my reaction would be much stronger. Her website sent chills down my spine at times as well.

Snert

Thank you Snert for taking a look at her website and the video segment. I agree with your observations and comments. Perhaps I’m foolishly naive, but is it not possible that her experiences were authentic visits from Holy angels at one time, but that by her neglect of sound spiritual direction, evil spirits began to intervene?

I think I will prayerfully compose and send her a letter asking her about some of these red flags. If she answers I’ll be sure to include her response in another post.

In the meantime there is another Irish mystic who is under spiritual direction of a priest appointed by her bishop. I obtained her books from the bookstore at Franciscan University of Steubenville. This bishop’s written endorsement of her obedience to Church teaching is in the front of all of her books. All of her writings are being investigated by Vatican officials. Her name is Anne. Her website is www.directionforourtimes.com.
Has anyone heard of Anne or The Apostolate of Jesus Christ the Returning King? Incidentally, this title doesn’t imply Jesus’ imminent return in the Second Coming. Rather, the title, “returning king” refers to Jesus return through His disciples who live ordinary lives in an extraordinary way. Jesus needs all of us in our daily duty to unite ourselves with Him and to be faithful in prayer, mass attendance and quiet time in front of the Blessed Sacrament. In return He promises to give us the special graces we will need to do His work. The messages and writings state nothing new, but urgently plead for deeper commitment to our Catholic faith in our daily lives.

I think anything is possible. But I was thinking about this a lot yesterday and realized that Satan will wait for generations on end to achieve his results. Just look at the ongoing conflict and division upon division as the result of the Reformation.

In the meantime there is another Irish mystic who is under spiritual direction of a priest appointed by her bishop. I obtained her books from the bookstore at Franciscan University of Steubenville. This bishop’s written endorsement of her obedience to Church teaching is in the front of all of her books. All of her writings are being investigated by Vatican officials. Her name is Anne. Her website is www.directionforourtimes.com.
Has anyone heard of Anne or The Apostolate of Jesus Christ the Returning King? Incidentally, this title doesn’t imply Jesus’ imminent return in the Second Coming. Rather, the title, “returning king” refers to Jesus return through His disciples who live ordinary lives in an extraordinary way. Jesus needs all of us in our daily duty to unite ourselves with Him and to be faithful in prayer, mass attendance and quiet time in front of the Blessed Sacrament. In return He promises to give us the special graces we will need to do His work. The messages and writings state nothing new, but urgently plead for deeper commitment to our Catholic faith in our daily lives.

This sounds interesting… a bit more authentic. I’ll have to check it out. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Snert

Wow, the books from Anne are free and downloadable! I’ll have to read them when I have time.

I have to admit, I have read a series of books about mystics here in Arizona when I was coming back to the Church. I read them when I still lived in PA probably back in 1999. They however, were not approved by the Bishop, at least I don’t think they were. I can’t remember the name of them but they helped bring me back to the Church anyway. Since then I’ve come to discover a few things about the people in them and have come to the conclusion that they are - at least in part - just “not right” in some way.

Anyway, I’ll have to read these “Volumes”. Since they have been endorsed by the Bishop and include a letter from Fransiscan University of Steubenville, I’m going to give this one a shot. I’m not sure when I’ll get to them, as life in general is hectic. I usually start a book but even if I’m intensely interested I still have problems picking it back up again.

If I read them soon though, I’ll post a thread on them. Unless of course you beat me to it! Feel free to post a new thead on Anne and her Volumes. I’ll join in whenever I get at least part of them read.

Snert

They are worth reading and some are very short and can be read in a half hour. However, if time is an issue, there are several video segments of interviews on the volumes with Anne and Dr. Mark Miravalle. I highly recommend these. Let me know if you have trouble finding them. Also , there are three books besides the volumes which are excellent. Climbing the Mountain, contains Annes vision of Heaven, The Mist of Mercy contains her vision of Purgatory and Called to Service contains her vision of climbing the mountain of holiness.The content is all very in line with church teaching and is fascinating and inspiring. I am a great fan of Dr. Miravalle, so when I heard of his enthusiastic endorsement, I was comfortable.
We have a prayer group monthly based on her recommendations. We’re also beginning a study based on Climbing the Mountain (they offer a good study guide with lots of stuff from Catechism and Sacred Scripture.)
Enjoy!!

A friend requested that I review the Best Seller, “Angels in My Hair” by Lorna Byrne.
The book is a good example of New Age spirituality and I would not recommend it.
These are just a few of the problems I found with the book.

Byrne claims that she has been seeing and talking to angels since she was born. She also claims that she speaks to ghosts.
One religion is as good as another.
She merged with her deceased brother.
Elisha the O.T. Prophet, became an angel.
God forgives everyone and all go to heaven.
She claims she saw God face-to-face, twice.
Archangel Michael told her it was OK to participate in a “born again” prayer group.
Archangel Michael told her what to write.
The body and soul to become more united and eventually become one.
Being murdered could be retribution for an act committed in a past life.

She is from Dublin and is now speaking at Catholic conferences in the U.S.

Thanks for bumping this old thread Victor. I concur - she sounds like she is off on a tangent with mysticism & doing "her own thing".

BF

When discussing my review of her book a friend who works in the mental health field, said, " It is possible that Lorna Byrne suffers from Schizophrenia."
I found this on the Internet.

Schizophrenia is a group of severe brain disorders in which people interpret reality abnormally. Schizophrenia may result in some combination of hallucinations, delusions and disordered thinking and behavior.
Schizophrenia is a chronic condition, requiring lifelong treatment.
The symptoms of schizophrenia also can be attributed to other mental illnesses, and no one symptom can pinpoint a diagnosis of schizophrenia. In men, schizophrenia symptoms typically start in the teens or 20s. In women, schizophrenia symptoms typically begin in the 20s or early 30s. It’s uncommon for children to be diagnosed with schizophrenia and rare for those older than 40.
Signs and symptoms of schizophrenia
In schizophrenia, positive symptoms reflect an excess or distortion of normal functions. These active, abnormal symptoms may include:
• Delusions. These beliefs are not based in reality and usually involve misinterpretation of perception or experience. They are the most common of schizophrenic symptoms.
• Hallucinations. These usually involve seeing or hearing things that don’t exist, although hallucinations can be in any of the senses. Hearing voices is the most common hallucination among people with schizophrenia.
• Thought disorder. Difficulty speaking and organizing thoughts may result in stopping speech midsentence or putting together meaningless words, sometimes known as “word salad.”
• Disorganized behavior. This may show in a number of ways, ranging from childlike silliness to unpredictable agitation.

Unfortunately, most people don’t read with a critical eye, and few are knowledgeable enough to see, what should be, the obvious theological errors.

These are interesting posts! I just read Lorna Byrne’s second book “Stairways to Heaven”. I too, wonder if she shouldn’t be under Catholic Spiritual Direction also. Very interesting books, but one has to wonder about some variance with Catholic faith and morals in the books. I don’t know if she has ever been taught how to “Test the Spirits” - she could be deceived by Satan.
On the other hand, Anne of Ireland - Direction for our Times is very different. I have been a Lay Apostle with her group for several years now. Her writings are wonderful and she is under the watchful eye of her local Bishop and he has assigned her and her group their own Catholic priest to work with them - they are having a meeting here in my area tomorrow with him. Direction for our Times books are definitely worth reading, very inspirational and comforting from a totally Catholic viewpoint. Lorna Byrne is a little differnet, and must be taken with a grain of salt! I find it very interesting reading but I know a lot of my devout Catholic friends won’t even read her books. I have an open mind…coming from the background I have (convert and previously into Eastern mysticism). She does seem like a very kind and gentle person, only wanting to help. But she could definitely be deceived…if one is feeling confused by her writings…then that is definitely a red flag…stick to the Truth we have from our Catholic faith, you can’t go wrong there! Praised be Jesus & Mary now and forever, amen!

lorna byrne is she newage or catholic teaching

I don't know her personally but I am forming the opinion that she's a bit "out there" into the neo-spiritualism and is not exactly orthodox Catholic. She has down played her Catholicity when speaking in mixed ecumenical audiences (greater book sales and audience of course) and I would take what she says with a huge grain of salt.

Anne the lay apostle.

She does have some detractors.

catholicforum.com/forums/showthread.php?3296-More-on-quot-Anne-A-Lay-Apostle-quot

unitypublishing.com/Apparitions/anna'name.htm

That said her books are very popular and are sold in my bookstore. I found them quite boring and sorry guys it's just not my thing.

I just read "Angels in My Hair", and I am in agreement with those of you who believe that Lorna Byrne is new-age. Some of what she writes comes across as inspiring, but overall it is not in alignment with the Church's teachings. For example, on page 167 she discusses the topic of abortion: "we have an awful lot of abortions in the world, but one must remember that even if a mother decides to have an abortion, that little soul already knows that its mother may do this, and even knowing this, that soul has already chosen this woman to be its mother...It is unconditional love. It already knows what will happen and still will pour its love into you.." Last I checked God was the only entity with the power of omniscience. Anyone who wants to soft pedal the heinous act of abortion should read Abby Johnson's book "Unplanned".

Lorne goes on to talk about Hell (p 173): "I know there is a place called Hell and that it actually exists, but God has never shown me anyone being sent there. God forgives everyone - no matter what they have done..." obviously Lorne has never heard of Fatima (excerpt on Fatima from Shepherds of Christ sofc.org/Spirituality/s-of-fatima.htm) :

During this same July apparition, Mary showed the three children a vision of Hell. She told them:

You have seen Hell, where the souls of poor sinners go. To save them, God wishes to establish, in the world, devotion to my Immaculate Heart. If people do what I tell you, many souls will be saved and there will be peace.The war (World War I, then raging) is going to end. But if people do not stop offending God, another and worse one will begin in the reign of Pius XI. When you shall see a night illuminated by an unknown light [January 2, 1938], know that this is the great sign that God gives you that He is going to punish the world for its many crimes by means of war, hunger, and persecution of the Church and the Holy Father. To prevent this, I shall come to ask for the consecration of Russia to my Immaculate Heart and the Communion of Reparation on the five first Saturdays. If my requests are granted, Russia will be converted and there will be peace. If not, she will scatter her errors throughout the world, provoking wars and persecutions of the Church. The good will be martyred, the Holy Father will have much to suffer, and various nations will be destroyed....But in the end, my Immaculate Heart will triumph, the Holy Father will consecrate Russia to me, Russia will be converted, and a certain period of peace will be granted to the world.

There was very little mention of Jesus or the Blessed Mother, or Church or other devotions or the Sacraments. I think the evil one works in very insidious ways, and that the popularity of this book supports how hungry people are to believe in what they want to believe, rather than in which we are called to believe.

On the topic of Anne, the Lay Apostle, I attended one of her conferences; she is truly inspiring as are her books which seem to be well rooted in the foundational teachings of the Catholic Church.

I’m not catholic but a believer of the Word of God and follower of Jesus. I haven’t read her book. I stumbled upon it because I read the book, " Heaven is for Real" and was involved in some of the discussions with the book. One lady commented regarding that book but I also saw she had many discussions with the Angels book. This made me interested. But, I was unsure of this author and what exactly she believed. After looking at her website and listening to some discussions on youtube, I realize that she is pretty new age. There never seemed to be a mention of Jesus or the holy spirit and seeking Him. (only seeding angels) The bible says to not worship angels or put them before God and states that Satan mascerades as an angel of light. This author could be deceived by the enemy all along. Satan is very prideful. Why would that angels want her to write a book only about them and leaving out God, Jesus and the holy spirit? Angels are only created beings like humans and are meant to be servants of Him. I was going to purchase the book and read it but the little bit I"ve seen so far, I don’t want to waste my money. Can only pray for her and that her eyes would be opened to the truth!

Lorna Byrne was interviewed on BBC1 this morning during the Big Questions.

What evidence does she have to give that she is really seeing the visions of angels she reports? Why not believe just anybody making similar claims? If you are a cancer patient, why not believe in a supposed angel that tells you not to get medical help any more? Where is the line to be drawn?

The Church only accepts apparition claims after a ruthless theological and scientific examination of the evidence. Lorna does not respect Church authority for she says her visions and messages are really from Heaven. It is up to the Church to decide that. She doesn't even have a theology degree so she has no right. Has she presented her story to her local bishop? The bishop as the representative of the apostles has a duty to demand that no cult be established without being closely monitored by the diocese. His job is to ensure that true doctrine is protected from contamination as Jesus warned that unless we believe correctly and sincerely we will not enter the kingdom of God.

As it is so easy for people to be misled I would if I had visions and messages I would keep it to myself where possible and not encourage people to believe. I would go and see the bishop and only speak publicly about the visions and revelations after checking with him first. Lorna is not encouraged to do this by her angels so they are really either from her imagination or from a non-heavenly source. She is not the caring person she appears to be but encouraging credulity and making the atheists howl with derision at the Church.

My boyfriend has no faith at all and thinks she either has a mental defect or trying to swindle money from people.
I am a catholic, however I am very open to listening about other people’s religions, beliefs and find them very fascinating, even the most obscure religions and theories , I tend to say well…‘maybe they’re right’ in the back of my head.
I am sceptical of her but I am really looking forward to the day that she is proven to be telling the truth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.