Books on confession?

Does anyone know of any good books on confession? I’m new at this and I need something that will help me to know what sins in particular I should be looking for. The more I am aware of my sins then the more I can try to avoid them.

Thank you.

Lord, Have Mercy: The Healing Power of Confession by Scott Hahn might be one to consider.

And I think the most important person to ask would be your confessor. Even if you don't go to the same priest every time or rarely receive the sacrament, you can still take a moment to ask Father to assist you and recommend any reading or ways of making a good examen of conscience.

Peace!

Why go to Confession? by Fr John Flader was a book I found quite useful when I was returning to confession, and still look at from time to time. It comes with quite good guide to examination of conscience too.

I recommend "The Sinner's Guide" (astore.amazon.com/acatlif-20/detail/089555254X)

Then if you need any material about Confession as a a Sacrament, I recommend these:

catechismclass.com/lesson/83
catechismclass.com/lesson/31

Laudetur Jesus Christus!

Pardon and Peace amazon.com/Pardon-Peace-Sinners-Guide-Confession/dp/089870832X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282154764&sr=8-1

Frequent Confession amazon.com/Frequent-Confession-Place-Spiritual-Life/dp/1889334162/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282154837&sr=1-1

I see Dr. Hahn's book has already been mentioned. Another good one is Go in Peace by Fr. Mitch Pacwa, SJ.

Here's my favorite. The Untapped Power of the Sacrament of Penance.

Betsy

I must second this recommendation, this book is absolutely fantastic!! I keep a supply to give as gifts.

I highly recomend reading, "Introduction to the Devout Life" by St. Francis de Sales

It does a great job of teaching you how to inspect onself from a general confession to a very mature and deep confession.

Growth in Holiness by Fr. Frederick Faber
This is one of my favorite books for moral guidance. It's not on the Sacrament of Confession, per se.
amazon.com/Growth-Holiness-Frederick-William-Faber/dp/0895554003/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359588080&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=growth+in+holiness+by+frederic+faber

Frequent Confession: Its Place in the Spiritual Life by Benedict Baur
amazon.com/Frequent-Confession-Place-Spiritual-Life/dp/1889334162/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359588025&sr=1-1&keywords=frequent+confession+benedict+baur

Confession by Adrienne von Speyr
amazon.com/Confession-Adrienne-Von-Speyr/dp/089870040X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359587860&sr=1-1&keywords=Confession+Adrienne+von+Speyr

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.