books on Mass

Dear Friends,

Could anyone recommend any books on the Holy Mass so I can better understand it while I’m there and therefore be more prepared and or can you recommend something on preparing for mass, such as a book of prayer for mass.

God Bless :slight_smile:

[quote=Kaily]Dear Friends,

Could anyone recommend any books on the Holy Mass so I can better understand it while I’m there and therefore be more prepared and or can you recommend something on preparing for mass, such as a book of prayer for mass.

God Bless :slight_smile:
[/quote]

There are some excellent Internet resources:

Fr. Lane

Marianland

Catholic.org

Good luck!

You might do good in borrowing a Missal from Church and going through the Order of the MASS … along WITH a good book about the Mass.

I’m interested to know of any books also, thanks for the post.

Joe

Scott Hahn’s book “The Lamb’s Supper” is very good! I have also heard that Jimmy Akin’s “Mass Confusion” and “Mass Appeal” are good. Someone Nash, just came out with a book. John? James? Can’t remember the first name.

Hahn’s “The Lamb’s Supper” gets my vote also.

Jimmy Akin’s Mass Confusion and Mass Appeal are awesome.

A good one to start with is:

“What Every Catholic Needs to Know About Mass” written by Kevin McGloin (Resource Publications Inc., San Jose, CA

It’s a quick read & easy for a newbie to understand.

“Preparing Yourself for Mass” by Fr. Romano Guardini is a great book of meditations on Mass preparation. It isn’t new - it was written back before Vatican II - but it is still a great resource
amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0918477506/qid=1098833178/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/104-0664393-6403115?v=glance&s=books

I also like Jimmy Akin’s “Mass Confusion” and “Mass Appeal” Mike Aquilina’s “The Mass of the Early Christians” is a good historical take on the Mass. These are all available at the Catholic Answers Store.

“Catholic for A Reason III: Scripture and the Mass” by Scott Hahn is also good. amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931018189/qid=1098833339/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-0664393-6403115?v=glance&s=books

There is a new book out at Ignatius Press called “Worthy is the Lamb” by Thomas Nash that looks good regarding the scriptural basis of the Mass. ignatius.com/ViewProduct.aspx?SID=1&Product_ID=2254&SKU=WITL-P&Category_ID=17

Ignatius Press has a variety of great resources on the Mass, as does Catholic Answers. Even Amazon.com is a decent source if you know what you’re looking for, but I think it better to support Catholic Answers, Ignatius, TAN, or some other Catholic source if possible.

Good Luck.

As others have said, Scott Hahn’s The Lamb’s Supper is excellent.

For following along, borrow a Missalette from your church (if they have one). Don’t be afraid to follow along page by page during the Mass. Many lifelong Catholics still do this!

I particularly like the Daily Roman Missal, which contains the Mass (including all Eucharistic prayers), all readings (Sundays and daily for all cycles), and excellent prayers. It also has several helpful appendices. It is an invaluable resource to prepare for Mass, to use during Mass, and to meditate after Mass.

Here is a link to the Daily Roman Missal.

'thann

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.