Books on the early Church Fathers

Can anyone recommend a good book on the early Church Fathers?
thanks in advance for your info!

I would recommend [/font]The Fathers of the Church: An Introduction to the First Christian Fathers[font=Arial] by Michael J. Aquilina.

PF

*** Four Witnesses: The Early Church in Her Own Words*** by Rod Bennett

Excellent Book! It covers the writings of St. Ignatius, St. Clement, St. Justin Martyr, and St. Polycarp shortly before they were martyred.

I also suggest The Mass of the Early Christians by Mike Aquilina.

NotWorthy

Mike Aquilina also wrote, The Way of the Fathers (Praying with the Early Christians)

A three voume set known as Faith of the Early Fathers by William A. Jurgens. Starts with the Didache (140 A.D.) and ends with St. John Damascene (725 A.D.) Includes Eastern and Western fathers from Clement, Ignatius, Augustine, Basil, Chrysostom, and Gregory. Includes a doctrinal index and also an index of scriptural references and citations. Stephen Ray used this series extensively in his book defending the papacy Upon this Rock

I read some great reviews about *** Four Witnesses: The Early Church in Her Own Words*** by Rod Bennett also, I bought it and it’s on my shelf, waiting for me to finish “Witness to Hope” by George Weigel…

The Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers series edited by Phillip Scaff has just about everything in it. The whole thing is available on ccel.org/fathers2

I’ll second the recommendations of “Four Witnesses” by Rod Bennett, and “Faith of the Early Fathers” by William A. Jurgens. The first is easier to read if you’re not familiar with the ECFs, and will whet your appetite. “Faith of the Early Fathers” is more scholarly—more of a heavy-duty main course.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.