Books on Thomism?

Besides from Summa Theologica and the Summa contra Gentiles, if you could recommend any other books supplementing the knowledge contained within St. Thomas Aquinas’ writings, it would be very helpful.

Thank you very much.
God bless you.
:thankyou:

Taylor Marshall has a free e-mail book called “Thomas Aquinas in 50 pages.” I would definitely check that out. For me, getting into the Summa Theologia is still very difficult.

Jacques Maritain!

dhspriory.org/thomas/

What you can’t find there is here (but no English option, sorry):

corpusthomisticum.org/iopera.html

A recent major commentator whose work is available online is Garrigou-Lagrange, on EWTN’s site. Here’s an example:

ewtn.com/library/theology/reality.htm

Also, Etienne Gilson has some good stuff. Together with Rousselot, Marechal, and Maritain, you have basically the whole 20th century neo-Thomistic movement.

Aquinas by Edward Feser is a short overview. Feser also has a textbook called Scholastic Metaphysics.

There’s also another textbook I found helpful called The One and the Many by W. Norris Clarke, which really helped engage me in how active God is. Though it does keep using one bad science example of oxygen and hydrogen, but it’s easy to look past that and just know he’s basically talking about emergent properties.

If you want a book about Thomas Aquinas that will help you understand the man and his thought, you have to read G. K. Chesterton’s “Thomas Aquinas: the Dumb Ox”. It’s an invaluable insight into the great saint and theologian. :thumbsup:

Also, intro-level books by Dr. Ed Feser. Actually, that would be my #1 recommendation.

www3.nd.edu/Departments/Maritain/etext/thomas.htm

www3.nd.edu/Departments/Maritain/library.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.