Books Recommendations on Marriage

I was chatting with a friend recently about how my relationship with my boyfriend is getting more serious, and how I wanted to do some “prep” and read some books on marriage. I figure you can’t start too early, right? :wink:

Anyway, she recommended The Excellent Wifee which is giving me some trouble. I’m only halfway through, but it is very, very fundamentalist protestant in nature, which surprised me as my friend is not. I keep being distracted by the things that are “wrong” from a catholic perspective, so I think this one isn’t going to work very well for me.

I was hoping to get some book recommendations from you all that I can tackle next. I’m not really looking for any books that tackle specific problems in marriage, but more books that focus on marriage and spirituality. Basically, if I am going to get married to him, I want to do it right, ha. The trouble is finding books that fit with the catholic view. So, any recommendations?

A Catholic Handbook For Engaged and Newly Married Couples

Just don’t get too far ahead of yourself. :wink:

If you don’t my saying this - really get to know each other and if marriage is in your future, ask each other what you expect from your future life together.

God bless,
Ed

We’ve been dating for about a year and a half and have discussed marriage and some other essentials. I’m fairly confident that, barring unforeseen circumstances or some sort of shocking revelation, we will marry at some point, even if we’re not at that point yet.

And this is the problem today.

Thinking ahead about these things is NOT “Getting ahead of yourself”. Dating is for the purpose of finding a spouse. When one dates, they should be thinking about if the person would be a good husband/wife and parent. The serious issues should be discussed early on so one doesn’t invest themselves emotionally only to have bonds broken later.

I recommend Christopher West books, especially
“Theology of the Body for beginners” and "Good news about sex and marriage

Get a spiritual director. Meet with a priest and ask to take the foccus. Go through marriage prep BEFORE engagement as part of your discernment process.

You can also get the “God’s plan for a joy filled marriage” video series and do that together.

I didn’t read these until after I was married, but I really enjoyed Dr. Greg Popcak’s books on marriage:

For Better…Forever!: A Catholic Guide to Lifelong Marriage

Holy Sex!: A Catholic Guide to to Toe-Curling, Mind-Blowing, Infallible Loving

He and his wife actually just published a new book on the first five years of marriage, which I have not read yet:
Just Married: The Catholic Guide Guide to Surviving and Thriving in the First Five Years of Marriage

Happy reading!:thumbsup:

I went into my church, told them I was simply considering maybe getting married one day in the Catholic Church, and they handed me a book and said to take it. I said, “How much?” They said, “Nothing”.

Come to think of it, they gave me two booklets.

Wow, that’s great! I will have to check and see what we have at mine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.