BOOKS: Sigrid Undset Novels

Has anyone read any of Sigrid Undset's novels?

If so, which series do you prefer/recommend? The Master of Hestviken? Kristin Lavransdatter?

1. Are they good?
  2. Are they faithfully Catholic?

I have not personally read the Kristin Lavransdatter Trilogy(although I have book 1 and 3) but I have heard many good things about the books.

It is even included in Father McCloskeys Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan.

I have a copy, but I have yet to read it. It was recommended to me. :)

I have read the Sigrid Lavransdatter trilogy and love them.
It faithfully depicts a woman's life from childhood to old age,
with all her sins and errors, repentence and joys.
It seems very Catholic to me.
There's also a movie of that name which is subtitled in English, I enjoyed the books
more but the movie is beautifully done. I found it at my library.

I loved the Kristin Lavransdatter series! Read it eons ago and still remember how swept up in her life I was. I highly reccommend it.

I have a few of Undset's books. Read Gunnar's Daughter *as it was set in the late Viking period, which is of interest to me. Also the first volume of *Kristin Lavransdatter, but not the other two so far. Some of the books she wrote before her conversion, but the ones she is best known for, about the middle ages, were written after.

I would say she was a very good writer, but a little wordy. Reading a translation does not always give you a good picture of their writing quality; a lot depends on the translator. And I am not big on period novels, but Undset was known for her expertise in that time period so the background should be fairly accurate. She tended not to over-romanticize life during that time. Had not really read them with any thought about whether they were "faithfully Catholic", so can't help you there.

Read them and find out!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.