Books that have Changed your Life

From my blog:

Books that have Changed your Life

You have heard stories about how a book, or books, has changed a person’s life. Well, for me, I had yet to find such a book until recently.

In early February, I went on my annual silent retreat with the Confraternity of the Holy Guardian Angels. During one of the conferences, the book** The Twelve Steps to Holiness and Salvation** by St. Alphonsus Liguori was recommended as a book to read. I did purchase the book and I would have to say, even though I have two chapters to go, it was one of the best books I have read on how you direct your life towards God.

Each of the twelve steps has its own chapter and St Alphonsus goes into each in detail on how each is to be used to bring yourself closer to God. Those Chapters are:

[LIST=1]
*]Faith
*]Hope
*]Love of God
*]Love for our Neighbor
*]Poverty
*]Chastity
*]Obedience
*]Meekness and Humility
*]Mortification
*]Recollection
*]Prayer
*]Self-Denial and Love of the Cross
[/LIST]
Some of the instructions in the book are hard to accept in this day and age, but they must be adhered to if one is to achieve a level of holiness that will lead to eternal life.

Like I said above, I have two more chapters to go but I plan placing the book on my regular reading schedule as reinforcement of its instructions.

I now have one of those books and am searching for others. Do you have yours?

Well, do you?

1. The Harry Potter series: Without it, I would have never rediscovered my passion for reading.

2. The God Delusion: It made me realize that I am really bad at biology.

3. The Book of Revelation: If it hadn’t been for this special segment of the Bible, I would have never started writing a novel in the works…

4. The numerous books I’ve read on world religions made me realize that I may not be right all the time, but the good part about that: neither are you-- “you” meaning the general audience. :wink:

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

Ugh, I really hope this doesn’t sound sarcastic, it isn’t. and somehow I doubt it is the response you are looking for. Anyway…

In 3rd grade I found in the school library this 20 page illustrated, beginners reading book entitled " Small Pig. "

This little pig lived on a farm with a farmer and his wife who loved him. Small pig loved his messy pig sty, especially and specifically his mud puddle. He would wallow in it and stay cool when it was hot, and he was very comfortable.
One day the farmers wife got on a cleaning jag and cleaned up his pigsty, and sucked up his mud puddle with the vaccuum cleaner. Small pig was miserable and angry, so he ran away.
He wandered into the city. It got very hot, so he looked for some mud, and he found some. Unfortunately it was really wet cement, and it hardened in the sun, and the pig got stuck in the concrete. The fire department showed up to break him out, and a crowd gathered, and so did the TV news. The farmer and his wife saw it on TV, and went to get the pig.
The farmers wife promised to leave his mud puddle alone, and they all lived happily ever after.
I couldn’t steal the book of course, but I couldn’t stand to part with it. I kept going back to re-check it out, and re-check it out, and I kept it all year. It was with me everyday.
When I came back for 4th grade, I repeated the process.
I haven’t seen the book since I moved away in 5th grade, but it is still important to me.
I’m 40 years old now. Ironically, the basic story of the book does seem to somehow be a mirror of my life. The moral of the story, is there a moral to this story ?? Seems to have some significant meaning in my life.

I guess all this sounds laughable, or incoherent, but there it is. :shrug:

The Imitation of Christ
Thomas à Kempis

BOOK 1

CHAPTER 2 – On Personal Humility

EVERYONE naturally desires knowledge, but of what use is knowledge itself without the fear of God? A humble countryman who serves God is more pleasing to Him than a conceited intellectual who knows the course of the stars, but neglects his own soul. A man who truly knows himself realizes his own worthlessness, and takes no pleasure in the praises of men. Did I possess all knowledge in the world, but had no love, how would this help me before God, who will judge me by my deeds? 
Restrain an inordinate desire for knowledge, in which is found much anxiety and deception. Learned men always wish to appear so, and desire recognition of their wisdom. But there are many matters, knowledge of which brings little or no advantage to the soul. Indeed, a man is unwise if he occupies himself with any things save those that further his salvation. A spate of words does nothing to satisfy the soul, but a good life refreshes the mind, and a clean conscience brings great confidence in God. 
The more complete and excellent your knowledge, the more severe will be God's judgement on you, unless your life be the more holy. Therefore, do not be conceited of any skill or knowledge you may possess, but respect the knowledge that is entrusted to you. If it seems to you that you know a great deal and have wide experience in many fields, yet remember that there are many matters of which you are ignorant. So do not be conceited, but confess your ignorance. Why do you wish to esteem yourself above others, when there are many who are wiser and more perfect in the Law of God? If you desire to know or learn anything to your advantage, then take delight in being unknown and unregarded. 
A true understanding and humble estimate of oneself is the highest and most valuable of all lessons. To take no account of oneself, but always to think well and highly of others is the highest wisdom and perfection. Should you see another person openly doing evil, or carrying out a wicked purpose, do not on that account consider yourself better than him, for you cannot tell how long you will remain in a state of grace. We are all frail; consider none more frail than yourself.

The Great Divorce
Tao Te Ching
Stranger in a Strange Land

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.