Books that made you cry?

Name some books that have made you cry or choked up. Would they still have that same effect on you?

" Tortured for Christ" by Richard Wurmbrand

" The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls

" Pieces of my sister's life" by Elizabeth Arnold

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold

" Story of a Soul - The autobiograpy of St. Therese" by John Clarke, OCD

And some of V.C. Andrew's books

One of my most favorites was "I Believe In Love: A Personal Retreat with the writings of St. Therese of Lisieux." That, for me, included several revelations about God's will that really made me think. I'm sure the book is stained with tears in a few places. :blush:

Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton
Diary Of Anne Frank

I cried reading “Eat, Pray, Love” becuase it was so boring and secular.:wink:
I should start reading your lists becuase I find so much of the popular fiction loses my interest now- and just how secular it is is a turn off for me.
My family used to own a bookstore and I was so on top of what was going on the literary world- now I could care less.

"Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck. Poor Lenny. :bighanky:

Frankenstein
Farewell to Arms
and recently, a book written by Dale Carnegie about How to Stop Worrying…I guess I didn’t realize how worrying affected my life, and it really ‘‘spoke’’ to me. :o

I second Anne Frank. I’m cold as Pluto, but she was a freaking genius of a writer and she died young. ****! I’m tearing up.

agreed. and since when does abstinence include self-pleasure? i know, she’s not Catholic.

I’ve got the same problem, though I enjoyed The Faith Club once I got past the exclusion of Catholics in the discussion. A Muslim, a Christian and a Jew. Quick read, not brilliant, but I was really impressed with each women’s effort both in time and in working through their own judgments. Light quick read that will probably create far better discussion groups than Eat, Pray Love ever did.

Wow, I would have loved growing up with a book store. I’m a bibliophile, much to my DH’s dismay. Right now I"m reading Margaret Sanger’s autobiography, 'cause I would like to speak intelligently about her. If anyone could recommend a nice light read that doesn’t have surprising offensive **** in it, I’d love to hear about it. Geez, even Marley and Me had a scene where a girl is startled by a guy in a van blah blah. (sigh) Our world today is full of surprise offensive things. They’re like internet pop-ups. sad.

Oh! I just remembered my favorite fiction! Frank Peretti’s Piercing the Darkness and This Present Darkness, also the Prophet. Really brings home the idea of a natural world and a supernatural world existing in tandem. Some of his stuff is really odd, but these are very good. :thumbsup:

I have to admit I have that book “Eat, Pray, Love” by Elizabeth Gilbert :shrug:

[quote="goforgoal, post:9, topic:181863"]
I have to admit I have that book "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert :shrug:

[/quote]

I hope I didn't sound critical, just agreed with the previous poster in that it's a bit disappointing. (it was, after all, a bit of a joke, since the book isn't sad). It's not terrible. :) So many people just raved about it that I found it a bit of a letdown. Not awful, though.

The aspect where she needed to leave her husband to find her spirituality seems counterintuitive and made me sad. I don't mean this in a critical sense, I'm just always sad when marriages end. God wants so much more joy for all of us, no? We all need to find a connection to God in order to be truly happy and isn't that what she was searching for?

Hmmm. I'd love to just go hang out in Bali and find myself, wouldn't you? (sigh)

Well, maybe not right NOW, but when the weather's a bit better.

The Other Side by Michael H. Brown.

:grouphug:

I agree with “Anne Frank”… I was raised in Germany and my mom read it to me as a child and later I read it again… that one definitely.
The other one is probably rather unknown here. It is part of a series, but I only have this one book out of it and I’m not even all the way through yet:
“Slave of Christ - A New Testament metaphor for total devotion to Christ” by Murray J. Harris

In Him,
Janet

There came the part in Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich's visions where she related Jesus' Agony in the Garden. Jesus took on all the sins of mankind from beginning to end. There were those who would embrace the Word of God willingly. There were those who would never know of God in their lifetimes. Among all the different kinds of people, there was one class of person Blessed Anne describes that moved me, not to tears, but something profound within me. The kind of person who would see the Lord with His open, loving arms and yet still willingly run away from Him and cast themselves off the cliff into the burning abyss.

This thought does not always move me, for such movements depend on how you receive the thought and is highly dependent on what mood you happen to be in in that moment.

"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith. Not only is it my most favorite book of all time, EVER, I always have to fight back sobs when Francie's teacher tells her to burn the stories about her dead father and, while doing it, say "I am burning ugliness, I am burning ugliness."

[quote="bluerose, post:14, topic:181863"]
"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith. Not only is it my most favorite book of all time, EVER, I always have to fight back sobs when Francie's teacher tells her to burn the stories about her dead father and, while doing it, say "I am burning ugliness, I am burning ugliness."

[/quote]

I agree 100%. was going to post what you wrote almost verbatim but you beat me to it!

definitely at the top of my list–the book that made me wish to be a writer

also of course when Beth dies in Little Women

Old Yeller (sappy as a book as well as a movie)

The First Four Years, the shorter book that tells of Laura and Almanzo Wilder’s early married life, and the heartbreak and tragedy of the real pioneers, when her baby dies, then they lose their farm.

In the same vein, Mrs. Mike, another all-time favorite, about a young girl who marries a Mountie in the Canadian Northwest, a real sob story. I recently found the sequel, good but nothing like the first book.

I read a book of my dad’s about the Coast Watchers in ww2 (don’t know the title, but probably something like that) which was factual, but a bare bones account of what they sacrificed and suffered, almost all were killed eventually, but how a relatively few brave people–and the natives who helped them and were also killed for it–saved the Allies and helped turn the tide in the Pacific war. My dad cried when we watched a TV show about them–the only time I saw him cry–so I got interested in the topic. Turns out the top-secret work he did during the war was helping to compile info on remote Pacific islands specifically to help the coast watcher service. Did not know that until after he died.

Ahh…such the sensitive person that I am. :o Somehow it’s easy for me to feel someone’s pain. :shrug: Even if they are a fictional character.

Here are some more recent ones…

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji
The Book Thief by Mark Zusack

Nearly every Holocaust book I’ve ever read. I’ve read many, many nonfictional (and fictional) books on the Holocaust, and though I am for some reason drawn to reading-almost studying-about it, they get me every time.

**A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers. One of my favorite books of all time :thumbsup:!! It made me cry like a baby. :bighanky:

An Echo in the Darkness is the sequel to A Voice in the Wind and is just as good and also a tear jerker but they were happy tears :extrahappy:

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. **

Can’t believe I forgot “Mrs. Mike”… I read that in eighth grade and my mother was alarmed when she found me crying my eyes out!

“Dear John”… that’s probably the only recent novel that had me in tears… I hope the makers of the movie based on the book don’t ruin it by giving it a “Disney” ending (okay, so maybe I do and maybe I don’t… )

Anne of Green Gables ...the part where Matthew dies. Gets me every time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.