BOOKS: The Diary of A Wimpy Kid

Has anyone read The Diary of A Wimpy Kid?

They are all “the rage” with my 4th grader’s class. So I read one of them.

What would you like to know?

My DS ,10, has read the 1st one about 4 times. He just got the second one yesterday at the Bookfair at school and finished it yesterday just after dinner. He loves them.

Paul

These books got my 3rd grader really excited about reading for the first time. She devoured the first one and couldn’t wait to get the second one from the school library.

I highly recommend these books obviously. She has gone from struggling to enjoyment, thank God.:):slight_smile:

Oh… hahahaha…

I’m just wondering whether it’s a good book because I enjoy reading it so much and whenever I read it, my lil sister always precaution me not to laugh too loud.
I’m 24 this year :o and I introduced it to my grade 9 students who also enjoys it more than twilight now :smiley:

By the way, I thought some of the stuff in the books are not good examples (can’t think anything right now), but it makes me wonder whether I should allow my sister (9 y.o) to read it.

Oh my gosh yes. My 10-year-old son LOVES them. We just bought the last book – the DIY journal – today as a matter of fact.

I know what you mean about some part of the story not being a good example, but i’ve found those parts to be great kick-off points for conversations about right and wrong, and “what would you have done in that situation?” That sort of thing.

And tiffinwood said, anything that gets him excited about reading is OK by me!

My 10 you DS is a struggling reader and is enjoying the first book in this series. Sometimes I have him read passages aloud to me. There are some times the character refers to his parents in a negative manner or to friends in a not so respectful tone. That being said, it opens up good points for discussion and let’s us examine “sticky” situations with friends or parents together. The books also have some passages that are quite funny.

In case you are not familiar with the series it is supposed to be the “diary” of about a 12 year old boy and the script is “handwritten” intermixed with cartoons drawn by the character.

I’ve read all of the books and enjoyed every single one. And yes, at age 15. :smiley:

FYI people: the main character isn’t perfect. Children don’t believe fictional characters are perfect, so I see no reason to prevent a child from reading the books. If one follows this logic (that children should not read books with bad examples in them), one should not be allowed to read the Bible. :rolleyes:

Well put. My 10 year old 5th grader loves the books and is passing them to her sister! I do agree that the characters are not perfect and that example lets kids know that they are okay even if they make a mistake. My daughter knows that she should not use this child as an example but it is still fun to read. It is so important to let your children talk about the book and share what is appropriate behavior with you! I’m pretty sure its harmless!

My almost 11 year old son loves these books but I cannot get past the title-it is so negative, almost making it seem that being a wimp is a good thing-how about titles like Diary of a Courageous Kid or something along the lines that is more positive and up beat-helping children to strive to live the virtues? Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.:confused:

Why is it so bad to be whimpy? Why does everything have to be about virtues? In the book he does stand up to bullies, but he also fights with sibilings, friends and discovers alot of things about growing up. It’s the modern-day Beverly Cleary for boys. The title also is drawing because it implicates that the character is an underdog. He is a kid who gets teased and deals with many of the issues that kids deal with. He is not a “brat” but just a kid who gets namecalled as with every other kid in the world. It actually puts a spotlight on how non-athletic, non-musical, non-intellegent students are seen.

By the way, I thought some of the stuff in the books are not good examples (can’t think anything right now), but it makes me wonder whether I should allow my sister (9 y.o) to read it.

Unless you’re perminate caregiver you don’t “allow” your sister to do anything, your parents do. Forbidding things only makes them more interesting.

Thank you, Peacoat for bringing this to my attention-it helps me to see things in a different light … :newidea:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.