BOOKS: The Screwtape Letters - CS Lewis

I just recently came into a copy of The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, and I have to say, for a fiction work, it’s turning out to be one of the most insightful and introspective things I’ve ever read. I mean, for all intents and purposes, it is a very spiritual read. I was just wondering if any one else had similar experiences with this work.

God Bless

Very much so. The ideas on corrupting humans were interesting, but I actually found the description of the satanic “psychology” even more interesting. The layers of pride, selfishness, refusing to admit wrong…I got a bit “scared” by this one, just because of the cool, utter depravity of the narrating devil. I believe Lewis himself ended the series eventually because he grew sick of trying to see the world through a satanic viewpoint - the direct quote had something to do with “filthiness” :ehh:

Although, some of the lines in there were very, very funny - “she’s the kind who’d even dare to laugh at ME!”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes! I read this book a couple years ago. I remember reading those first few chapters and thinking “this is exactly right!”

Another phenomenal book of his is “The Great Divorce”

I LOVE The Screwtape Letters. It is interesting to contemplate how the ‘other side’ might think about us, and the book gives us many good insights into ways the devils can trick, distort, distract, and invade our lives in the most subtle ways. The bit about his mother and gluttony? (Hope I haven’t ruined anything for you with that…:o ) We don’t think of these things. I think that’s what I like most - Screwtape Letters helps us look at the subtle ways Satan decieves, and we all know that’s his most powerful trick (and the hardest to detect).

In the past, when having a problem with a particular sin, I would write what my ‘devil’ is writing to his former ‘teacher’. It actually really helped me see some things I hadn’t before and approach the problem differently ( I was praying for a cure to the symptom, not the actual problem for one thing) and hearing my ‘devil’ laugh about this helped me realize it. I love this book.

I think it one of his best, but then I like everything he wrote. Just wish the had written twice as much.

I have it on cd…excellent…verrrry deep, and incredibly insightful…a must read for anyone. And Mere Christianty is another great work of Lewis, too.:thumbsup:

Yes, I agree…it made me have a better insight into how the ‘evil one’ is always…ALWAYS on a mission to captivate us with his lies.

I always thought that it would make a great movie for adults (not THAT type of movie:D ) because I can REALLY see it coming alive in my head when I read it. I would not want it dulled down though, and im afraid thats what would happen.

I can imagine a cynically voiced Englishman as screwtape, but thats probably because I also have the audiotape version of it with John Cleese, which would be an awesome actor for the part! They could keep him hidden like “Dr. Claw” in the old inspector gadget cartoons:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Inspector_Gadget14.jpg

It would be a very different kind of movie while being still familiar.

I’m really enjoying the feed back on this. I think my favorite thing about the book is how it constantly refers to my Lord, my God, and my King as “The Enemy.” It really drove home the point that everytime my head rolls off my pillows and my feet hit the cold floor at 6 in the morning that I’m going to war. That makes for a great reflection at the end of the day.

I can’t even imagine what was going on in Lewis’s mind as he wrote this. Setlew mentioned how this was very difficult for him. I mean I can’t even imagine trying to aline myself that deeply to the true enemy’s thinking. Glory to God!!!

I just know this book has taught me alot about myself that I never knew was there before, and it’s the first time a fiction book was ever able to do that for me.

2Tim1:7 tell me more about the book you referenced.

God Bless
Nate

I was planning to read The Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity this summer…your thread has prompted me to get started sooner! :thumbsup:

Sure! The Great Divorce (fiction) is about a man who, in a dream, visits Heaven and Hell. The supernatural people that he meets and surroundings he experiences are superb. You begin to see so clearly how people are so afraid, how we hang onto our “self” so desperately, and you see how debilitating that is.

It is a very different idea about what happens after you die. The typical images of the “pearly gates” with a St Peter that looks like an accountant, or the sulfuric, gaseous, fire-filled “cave” of the underworld is not at *all *what Lewis has dreamed up.

I don’t know exactly what to expect when my soul separates from my body, but this book made me begin to wonder, and imagine - like a child. As an adult though, you see the how accurate his representation of humanity is, and you see the physical world around you, and your relation to God’s magnificent creation, as quite extraordinary.

It also made me less afraid. God is not sitting up there looking down on us with contempt. He loves us and cherishes us as his children! It pleases him when we try to do good - even if we fail!

You might like a couple of copies. Peter Kreeft has a book called the Snakebite Letters–which is more Catholic, but more depressing I think.

And Randy Alcorn has a version that has an evangelical slant–I liked it though.

amazon.com/Lord-Foulgrins-Letters-Randy-Alcorn/dp/1576738612/ref=pd_bbs_sr_11/103-6849086-6820601?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179683240&sr=8-11

He has has a version for teens.

I recall reading that Lewis thought it was the hardest book he wrote. It required him to take on the mind set of Screwtape, which was a real misery.

See Screwtape Proposes a Toast for a brief sequel.

I LOVE this book!

I found so much that was useful to my spiritual formation that this summer I’m planning on taking a chapter a week, and really concentrating on the lessons in that particular segment.

I first read that book when I was 14 or 15 years old, and it has always been a favourite - it also really helped me stay on the straight and narrow path during a period in my life when I was under a lot of heavy fire from the Enemy.

The only part I wish he had not written, or wish that he had changed, was the part where God winked at the couple when they were having pre-marital sex (although it’s very clear in the story that they were engaged to be married, which I guess is supposed to make it okay) - but apart from that one line, I highly recommend that book to absolutely anybody. :thumbsup:

I also enjoyed The Great Divorce. Again, a very insightful look into the vast capacity of human beings to deceive themselves.

I read “Screwtape Letters” in 1978. I was returning to the sacraments, and teaching at an Assembly of God pre-school. I was one of three Catholics working there.
One of the younger teachers found me reading this on a break, and, as it had a “devilish” portrait on the cover, asked me in horror what in the world I was reading. When I told her it was probably one of the best books on Christianity I’d read, I thought she was going to faint, or at least summon a pastor for deliverance ministry :hypno:
I recently read “The Great Divorce”. Wonderful book!

I love this book. :slight_smile:

BTW, I’ve heard that they’re making a movie out of it…don’t know how that will work out. :shrug:

WELL WELL WELL!!! oh I cant wait!! So much for me being the first to think it would make a good movie haha!
thestonetable.com/articles/387,1.html
speroforum.com/site/article.asp?id=7939

I want to read Screwtape Letters again. I read it and Mere Christianity back when I was in high school. I know that I would appreciate both books more now as an adult.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.