BOOKS: The Snakebite Letters by Peter Kreeft

Has anyone read “The Snakebite Letters” by Peter Kreeft?

I believe it’s kinda similar to The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, any comments? :slight_smile:

Great book! You are correct that it is similar to the Screwtape Letters. As Kreeft states in the foreword to the book, it is quite intentional.

I have read both books. Of course, there are a great deal of similarities, but there are two key differences:

First, Kreeft is writing from a specifically Catholic perspective whereas Lewis is writing from a general Christian perspective.

Second, Lewis’s book is a compilation of a series of articles previously published in a newspaper or journal (can’t recall which). Therefore, each chapter is only about 3 pages long. Kreeft did not have these same restrictions, so each chapter is significantly longer than 3 pages, and he is able to go into greater depth on specific topics.

All in all, you can’t go wrong with either book.

It’s pretty good.

The biggest difference to me was that the object of the devil’s plot in the screwtape letters consistently grew in spirituality, but the object in the snakebite seemed to fall into worse and worse sin. It was kind of depressing.

I like the Screwtape Letters better, but some parts of the Snakebit letters were thought provoking, esp. the section on the need for beautiful liturgy and Church architecture.

Yes, I read them and enjoyed them very much. However, as a previous poster mentioned, they go into more detail than the Screwtape Letters; sometimes a little too lengthy for me. Still, a valuable book. I really enjoyed both books!

That’s a good call! I never thought about it before, but you’re absolutely right.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.