BOOKS: Windswept House by Malachai Martin

i am currently reading this book. i used to hear Malachai Martin on the Art Bell show, but didn’t really pay a lot of attention to what he said or exactly who he was.

i know he is deceased now.

has anyone read this book and what did you think of it? i haven’t finished it, so please don’t spoil the ending for me.

would anyone recommend anything else that he wrote?

I haven’t read any of his stuff, but you can read all about him on Wikipedia. :wink:

Let me know what you think of the book when you’re done. I actually have it on my shelf but have never picked it up. I’ve heard he can be somewhat critical of the hierarchy, but I have no idea if such accusations are legitimate or not. :shrug:

okay. i am going to try to finish it this weekend because i have the house to myself for 3 days. as an author, he has done a really good job in setting up the story and characters.
the beginning had me a little jittery, but then he got into the story and it read like a novel.
the book was in the library of the Catholic church i belong to, so i thought it must be okay to read. it is intriguing, but not in the sense of the Da Vinci Code or Angels and Demons.
i think because it is written by someone who actually was a priest and knows the ins and outs of what goes on. so if i get it finished, i will let you know.

hi joe,

i have about 50 more pages to read. i would recommend this book. it is not a light summer reading book, it deals with some heavy topics and takes concentration.

it tells a lot about what has been going on inside the Church since Vatican II i think - although it is a work of fiction. the battle between the progressives and those who want to remain true to the tradition of the Roman Catholic Church.

it centers around two priests who are brothers. one has become a priest and loves his faith and the Church and the other was going into the priesthood, but took a different path
and studies economics.

it deals a lot with the vision of Fatima and everything that was happening with the Soviet Union and Gorbachev and Yeltsin. it helps to have a knowledge of the current events that happened in the late 80’s and 90’s.

JPII is the Pope in this novel. there are groups who definitely want to do away with the Papacy. he knows he has enemies.

i don’t want to give away too much, but this is definitely a good read. if you already have it, i would suggest you read it. i think i remember you from a thread i started many months ago about philosophy and religion and you are intelligent, so i think you can understand the points this book is trying to make.

hopefully, this thread will still be available tomorrow. i hope to finish it today, but can’t promise. i think you would like it.

It is a good book. Do some googling on it after you finish reading it and you will find some speculation as to who some of the characters are in real life.

Yes, we did cross paths on that philosophy thread a while back. :slight_smile:

That’s good to know about the book. I picked it up because someone I knew was about to throw it away and I hate the idea of throwing away books (even if they’re bad books). The worth my friend ascribed to it by his wanting to get rid of it made me believe it wasn’t worth reading, but I’m glad to know I was wrong. I’ll have to pick it up.

i’ll have to see if i can find anything. i was curious as to who some of these people are.
of course, it would be speculation.

well, it is not a reference book. so i think if you read it once, it is not something that you would want to read again.

i will be interesting to know what you think of it. i definitely believe there is truth in the different groups - progressives and traditionalists - battling for control of the future of the church.

there are several subplots working throughout the book and some criminal activity so it is a page turner at times where you don’t want to put it down.

i wish i would have listened more closely to malachai martin when he was on the radio.

Permit me to disagree. Some fiction books are well worth reading a couple times, maybe even more, and this I believe is one of them. Particularly since the author has written layers of meaning into the plot.

i definitely agree with you marsha that the author has written layers of meaning into the plot. that is what makes reading this novel so interesting. i guess if you thought you might have missed something the first time, you might want to read it through twice. there are some people who like books so much they read them multiple times. the only book i would ever consider reading twice would be Gone With the Wind. that was a book to totally lose yourself in. come to think of it, as a teen, i might have read some of my nancy drew books more than once.
i liked the way the author had so many layers of meaning because you really had to keep on your toes. i think if someone were not Catholic, they would miss a lot of what he was saying, don’t you?
part of the prologue was a little unnerving, and i wasn’t sure i would like the book if it all centered on that subject or theme, and, luckily, it didn’t. i don’t want to give anything away. i kept picturing if they were to ever make it into a movie - which i doubt - what Windswept House would look like and who would play Cessi Gladstone, Christian Gladstone, Slattery, etc.
anyhow, i don’t own this copy. i got it from the Church library. if i owned my own copy, i might be tempted to read it again. i am not sure if it is still available.

If the reader was not Catholic they would not only miss a lot of what Fr. Martin was saying, they would also come away with a completely wrong idea of the Church. The book refers to three groups, Orthodox Catholics and two types of heterodox Catholics (or as I call them pseudo-Catholics.) A non-Catholic would find this very confusing.

I love books and there are several that I read over and over again, not all of which are edifying.

i finally finished the book today. i sort of hurried through to the end, because i need to get it back to the church library. it was good, but i am not sure what really happened at the end. maybe it was meant to be that way.

marsha, you can PM me and tell me what you thought of the ending if you life or how you think it ended.

i don’t want to spoil it for anyone else. have you read anything else by malachai martin.
this was a big book. i checked our local library today and they had another book by him and it was thick also.

anyhow, for me, it was very interesting, and i think malachai was saying a lot in his story.

You can discuss it here if you want. Just add the word SPOILER at the top of your post and I’ll know to skip past it. :wink:

Actually, I’ve been wanting to read it a second time. When I read it a few years ago, I got it from the library and I found it riveting, but now that you mention it, I can’t remember how it ended. I remember that I regretted afterwards that I had not purchased the book.

I’m going to see if I can find it in paperback and read it again. Then I’ll let you know. I will put you on my friends list, so that I will be able to find you again when I finish the book.

okay, i will look forward to hearing from both of you about the book then. :slight_smile:

i wouldn’t mind owning a copy myself. i wonder if it was ever published in paperback.
mine was a hard copy from the library. maybe i will call one of the bookstores and see if it can be ordered or check amazon.

Windswept House is an outstanding read that will give you chills and make your hair stand on end. My favorite part is when Father Damien Slattery rings the doorbell of retired police inspector Wodgila. That scene blows away anything in the Exorcist. Another great one is when Fr Slattery get's a warning from the Cardinal of Century City regarding his investigative activities. His one sentence reply is ominous.

glad you also liked the book. it has been about a year since i read it, so i cannot remember the specific incidences that you mention, but i do know that it was a page
turner! i couldn't put it down once i started it!

When you read the book, you have to check the online “Who’s Who In Windswept House”. I’ve wondered if Martin based Slattery a little bit on himself.

thanks for the tip. i will check it out. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.