Borderline Sins

What is the difference between high self-esteem and arrogance?
I think it is good to not always take things personally and take things people say with a grain of salt. It keeps you healthy. When does this attitude become unhealthy?
What is the the difference between low-self-esteem, vanity and self-pity?
Again, it is good to be willing to listen to what others say and take their critiques to heart. It is good to see the reality that you are a sinner and your works are worthless in comparable to God. When does it does it become an issue of oversensitivity and touchiness?
It is good again to see this miserable for what it is. It is good to be aware of errors in yourself and the world around us. When does this become judgment and despair? It is good to not judge others and not pay attention to sin, when does this become condoning sin or having a lax attitude?

1. High self-esteem is not a virtue. Love for God and neighbor are. Esteem is regard. High self-esteem means to regard yourself highly. God said those who humble themselves will be exalted and those who exalt themselves will be humbled.

2. Never take things personally. If you are insulted, bless the person who insults you. Always. There is no teaching of Jesus that says “don’t let people walk over you.” It is often a blessing when they think they are because you are gaining merit with God by not repaying evil with evil. You never need to “stick up for yourself.” God is with you. Just do what He says. Don’t worry about what anyone thinks but Him.

3. Low-self esteem, vanity, and pity? Ask your Guardian Angel to help you. I will tell you this: you should value your soul because God does. He greatly values your soul. But you are nothing without Him.

4. What is over-sensitivity and touchiness?
    Speak in terms of sin and virtue. Everything else is going to confuse you if holiness is your goal. Always think: what does God see? Nothing else matters. Ask your Guardian Angel and our Mother for help. The Angels and our Mother often help us understand things by directly impressing the understanding on us. Ask for help!

5. You must judge sin as sin. Always treat it as what it is - SIN. It is never not a sin. We are not supposed to judge souls. We are supposed to judge sin! If someone sins, never ignore it. Judge not lest you be judged means don’t be a hypocrite and don’t condemn. It doesn’t mean to let your brother or sister offend Christ our Lord without doing what is best for the Body of Christ. You should say something. Just be gentle and charitable, and don’t judge their soul. If you mean the passage about overlooking offenses - it means if someone offends YOU, overlook the offense as in don’t hold it against them.

Don’t worry. You are doing good. You are seeking holiness. It is not a sin to not understand. I often have to remind myself of that, because I so often don’t understand. I wouldn’t even be able to help you if God didn’t help me help you. I would have just confused you even more. Remember - none of us are anything without Him. This is spiritual NOT carnal. Worldly logic and wisdom does not apply.

I salute you and I love you
I salute your Guardian Angel and I love you Guardian Angel

God please help I love you In Jesus Name I pray
Mother please help I love you thanks for helping me so often with this same thing

What is the difference between high self-esteem and arrogance?

A healthy sense of self-worth is different from arrogance. Humility is the difference between the two. Arrogance, which is really pride, leads us to think we are better than others and even God. Humility is truth. The truth is we are sinful and imperfect. The truth is also that we are loved by God and worth so much that He became man, suffered, and died for us. We are sons and daughters of God. That means each of us deserve to be treated with respect and charity.

I think it is good to not always take things personally and take things people say with a grain of salt. It keeps you healthy. When does this attitude become unhealthy?

Sounds good to me. Just be willing to take an honest look at yourself if someone offers an opinion and not be overly suspicious of their intentions. This doesn’t mean they’re always right, but be open to the possibility they’re seeing something you don’t.

What is the the difference between low-self-esteem, vanity and self-pity?

None are good, and all 3 base the value of a human being on superficial or unrealistic things. Again, humility is the answer. Remember who you are and how God sees you. Regardless of how worthless we may judge ourselves to be, we are always valuable in God’s eyes. Literally worth dying for. :thumbsup:

Again, it is good to be willing to listen to what others say and take their critiques to heart. It is good to see the reality that you are a sinner and your works are worthless in comparable to God. When does it does it become an issue of oversensitivity and touchiness?

It’s an issue if you wallow in self-pity and do nothing else. Be willing to hear what others say, and decide whether or not they have a point. If they do, think about how you can change for the better. It’s unhealthy to completely focus on how bad you are. It’s pointless when you think about it. Nothing good comes from constantly telling yourself how horrible you are if that’s all you do. Yes, most likely when it comes to sin, we will fall over and over again. God just asks us to keep trying our best.

It is good again to see this miserable for what it is. It is good to be aware of errors in yourself and the world around us. When does this become judgment and despair?

It’s only bad when we lose hope. One of the great things about our faith is that we have Hope in the Lord’s promise, regardless of how bad things seem during this life.

It is good to not judge others and not pay attention to sin, when does this become condoning sin or having a lax attitude?

We don’t judge the state of another’s soul or whether they are good or bad people, but we still see sin for what it is. However, prudence tells us that there are situations where we may be casting pearls before swine. My priest said that generally we should ask ourselves two questions. 1) Am I in a position to tell another what to do? 2) Is there a good chance of my action having a positive effect?

If the person is a relative or friend, perhaps say something once gently if you think they don’t know it’s a sin. But if they already know, it probably won’t do much good to say anymore. Just treat others with respect, and if asked for what you think, firmly and kindly tell them what the Church says regarding these issues.

If you feel not saying anything is being lax, pray for these people and the world. Sometimes our actions and words can’t change others, but believe that God hears our prayers and that they don’t go to waste [even if our prayers aren’t always answered in the way we’d like].

I do not think God wants us always to let people walk all over us. We should enjoy life too. We live in the real world. I think it is important to try to not let everyone blame everything on you.

Here: scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=771

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.