"Born Again" Christians - from what denomination(s)?

To what Christian denominations do most Born Again Christians belong (or non-denominational group)?

I just lump myself as a non-affiliated Christian after leaving agnostism.

Hi, ImperialPhoenix,

“I just lump myself as a non-affiliated Christian after leaving agnostism.” quote ImperialPhoenix

Would you be patient with me and give me an
idea on what existential experience is, for an agnostic?

I’m not phrasing this well at all, I know. How
does an individual deal with questions of life,
death, suffering as agnostic?

Thanks for you patience, in advance,

Best regards,
reen12

“Born Again”? How can we answer if you dont define “Born Again”?

The nonCatholics will have a different defination than Catholics.

Just because a group of “dopers” go to a Revival where they have Rock Bands and so-called “councilers” present and some of the teen aged dopes give high fives wnd say “Yeah Man, I take Jesus to be my Savior”. This happens here about each 3 months. Its on TV and radio.

Are these people actually Born Again? The church people who put these revivals on are some kind of Evangelicals.

[quote=reen12]Hi, ImperialPhoenix,

“I just lump myself as a non-affiliated Christian after leaving agnostism.” quote ImperialPhoenix

Would you be patient with me and give me an
idea on what existential experience is, for an agnostic?

I’m not phrasing this well at all, I know. How
does an individual deal with questions of life,
death, suffering as agnostic?

Thanks for you patience, in advance,

Best regards,
reen12
[/quote]

For me, in agnostism, (I was classified as a weak agnostic, more details about that to come in another thread). Agnostics, in my POV and experiance, usualy dont question about life in general. Normaly they except eviloution but they still ponder uppon on “are we alone in the universe”. For death, I feared death and wondered what would happen to me in the afterlife in a non-biological sense. For suffering, I personaly did not thought about that untill I started to ponder on what would happen to our souls after death.

Dear ImperialPhoenix,

Many thanks for your reply. I’ll look forward to
reading the future thread you refer to,

Kindest regards,
reen12

[quote=nobody]To what Christian denominations do most Born Again Christians belong (or non-denominational group)?
[/quote]

Catholics, Greek Orthodox, Episcopalians, and Lutherans regard baptism as the new birth.

The term “born again Christian” is usually a code word for other groups who consider the new birth a distinct experience when the sinner passes from death to life and receives a new heart through repentance and faith. This would include nearly all of the groups who consider themselves to be Bible-believing, such as Baptists, Pentecostals, evangelical Methodists, evangelical Presbyterians, and other “evangelical” Protestants. It wouldn’t include most liberal Methodists, liberal Presbyterians, liberal Congregationalists, et al.

The Restorationist movement, which includes the Churches of Christ, Christian Church, and Disciples of Christ are a third category because they are radically noncatholic in orientation, but still believe that baptism is the new birth. They believe only in “believer’s baptism” (as do Baptists). Disciples tend to be liberal, and may not believe in an actual supernatural new birth.

The largest group of “born again Christians” would be Baptists.

I agree that the largest group that would identify themselves as "Born Again"Christians would be Baptists. I would also include non-denoms (although they seem to be backing off from that term lately since it seems to conjure up an image of someone in your face asking if you’ve been saved??) Charasmatic type churches such as Assemblies of God, Church of God, Four Square Gospel, I think also Church of the Nazerine.

Hi, Carole Marie,

I never can understand the term ‘evangelical’ and
how it is employed.

Do Baptists hold different beliefs than evangelicals?
Is it a difference in emphasis?

Could there be evangelical Baptist.

I’d appreciate it if you would help me to clarify
this.

We’re talking *abysmal *ignorance on my part!:o

Many thanks,
reen12

The jargon is opaque. You’ve done well to ask for guidance.

“Evangelical” and associated terms such as “evangelist” come from two Greek words meaning “good news,” which in older English came out as “gud spiel” and today is “gospel.”

Lutherans have a specialized use of the term “evangelical,” which is different from the rest of Protestants, so I won’t describe it.

For most of us, “evangelical” means “theologically conservative and orthodox.” This includes the absolute authority of the Bible and the necessity of the New Birth.

So, yes, there can be evangelical Baptists, just as there are liberal Baptists. Baptists have a reputation for being evangelical, even though there are plenty of liberals who call themselves Baptist.

But groups such as Methodists and Presbyterians have not maintained such a reputation in the last 100 years or so, so one may need to spell it out if the Methodist or Presbyterian under discussion is, indeed, evangelical.

Hello, Kevan,

I do thank you for replying to my question. I did
not know that:

'“Evangelical” and associated terms such as “evangelist” come from two Greek words meaning “good news,” which in older English came out as “gud spiel” and today is “gospel.”" quote, Kevan

The “gud spiel” is very interesting. I could never
understand why Christians just don’t say: Good News.

For one thing, it might draw a person to ask:
What good news? and become an opportunity
for evangelization.

Again, Kevan, many thanks,
reen12

Nobody:

See:
forum.catholic.com/showthrea…26#p ost329726

and a later thread posted by MariaG. Sorry no link for that.

I also have a 59-page pdf file titled [font=Century Gothic]THE BORN AGAIN TEACHING IN THE LIGHT OF HISTORY AND BIBLICAL SALVATION PRINCIPLES
[/font]. I think you can get it here: **
[left]www.originofnations.org
[/left]
** If not, send me a PM and I can e-mail it to you. I have yet to read it.

Maybe just do a search of the forums for earlier conversations on this subject. I looked into it not too long ago and wasn’t completely satisfied with what little I found. But the info here seems to be the most concise. My approach (which may have been flawed) was that “born again” was a relatively new concept in Christianity, popularized (and primarily confined) in the USA by a 19th century preacher (like Dwight Moody). I wanted someone to pin down the guy’s name.

Jim

John Wesley, Anglican priest and founder of the Methodist movement, was stressing the born-again experience over 100 years before Moody. See his sermon The New Birth.

[quote=nobody]To what Christian denominations do most Born Again Christians belong (or non-denominational group)?
[/quote]

The appropriate name for this group is Born Against Catholics Christians,primarily because that’s what they are.It is an irony that when Muslims,Jews,Buddhists,Hindus talk about Christianity,they mean the Catholic Church,but our own separated Christian bros and sis consider us non Christian.What a travesty!

“The appropriate name for this group is Born Against Catholics”

:rotfl: Nice job, silvano. So true. And they have no clue.

[quote=Kevan]John Wesley, Anglican priest and founder of the Methodist movement, was stressing the born-again experience over 100 years before Moody. See his sermon The New Birth.
[/quote]

Kevan: was that written in 1872 or published in 1872, or both? Cause Moody lived until 1899.

Jim

Yeah, that is misleading. The web site presents the sermon as it appears in the 1872 edition of some book; it might be Wesley’s Standard Sermons or it might be his complete Works.

As I recall, the sermon was probably written around 1735, but Wesley preached this idea from this text countless times in his sixty (?) years of crisscrossing England (and neighboring lands).

We generally consider a “born-again” Christian to be anyone from any denomination who has repented of their sin and given their life to Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.