born agains

if you read my other post about my bike truck accidnt, youll know that two born again pastors had stopped to helpme. now today at wrok they came down and and did their whole little conversion pitch! asking me about my fatih adn asking me if i accept heaven as gods gift and jesus as the savior. (all that jazz). by this time i had tol them i ama devout roman catholic. now in my head im thinking “you know these guys are nice enuf to come down and check upon me so ill placate them alittle bit” so i aswered their questions,ect then they held a little prayer cirlce right on there in the middle of the day. they gave me litterature anda bible. now i appreciate that they took time and money to come down and check up on me. but did they have to be so preachy?! i felt like i was just a convienient excuse to throw their little prayer and conversin thing around.

Hi,

You said they were pastors–right? Then of course they should be preachy–that is their job;) :smiley: I would expect a priest to do the same thing and if they didnt I would be concerned.

Are you ok now? I didnt read your story–sorry.:frowning: I hope you are on the mend nicely.:thumbsup:

Read this:

catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0057.html

Granted, not the same circumstances, but I think you need to read it now.

I think they were sincerely concerned. They are also as some evangelicals are, confused regarding the Catholic church and don’t realize that you are indeed “saved” you just don’t call it that. I think it would have been fine for you to say, “I really appreciate your help, your concern is touching, but please don’t worry about my salvation, it’s all covered.”

I agree. Also as was said before as Pastors this was pretty much their job. Just rest assured in your Faith and just take it as a compliment that they wanted you in Heaven with them.

sounds like love bombing to me.

Love Bombing

The practice of some cultic movements to shower new recruits or prospects with extra love and attention. Seen by many as an unethical persuasion tactic designed to hinder critical thinking regarding the pros and cons of joining or remaining with the group

apologeticsindex.org/l00.html

Love Bombing

The practice of some cultic movements to shower new recruits or prospects with extra love and attention. Seen by many as an unethical persuasion tactic designed to hinder critical thinking regarding the pros and cons of joining or remaining with the group

Sounds like the folks of McMinnCounty TN :smiley: At least the pastors of the OP had some kind of reason, maybe:shrug: . I could be standing in line at Walmart and they try to convert me.:rolleyes:
Glad to hear you are feeling better. As far as the pastors go be respectful but stand your ground for your Catholic Religion

i dig you guys! i felt thankfull that they came down and bought me abible and came to check up on me but the whole prayer circle kinda “scetched me out” they great guys and im tahnkful that they care. there were a few times where i wanted to say you “guys, im catholic im not new to this whole christ thing” but i let them go on thier little tangent. just to be nice and show my gratitude.

Pray, pray, and pray. The result can be the other way around - the pastors can become Catholic someday. :wink:

Why did they buy you a bible?

Why did you not have one?:confused:

right. I am guessing the Bible misses 7 books.

Not necessarily ALF. It’s one thing to be preachy when you at church talking to the congregation. It’s another thing when you meet someone on the street. I personally find being preached at in the latter circumstances really turns me off. I do not like being preached at or to. During Mass our priest gives you a homily. Which I would not really say is preaching it’s more of a life lesson. Afterward, he talks to you like your his friend. You will get far more from someone by treating them like a normal, regular human being whom you would like to be friends with, than you will be preaching to or at them.

My dh told me the one thing he could not stand about his grandmother’s church was the constant preaching. This is one of the reasons why he does not go to church today.

As far as why they handed passive a Bible. Most of them simple do that. They are just being generous. I have to agree it was most likely missing 7 books. :slight_smile:

You have to understand their mindset, as probable Evangelicals or Fundamentalists. They believe it is their mission in life, their duty, to be a “witness” to anyone they cross paths with. Now of course, they probably aren’t as invested in everyone the way they became with you, but then they crossed paths with you under extraordinary circumstances, and probably felt that happened for a reason. They would have been remiss in their Christian responsibilities as they see them, if they hadn’t followed up with you.

In other words, their hearts were in the right place, they just don’t understand the Catholic faith well, it all has to do with the way they were taught.

Just a question, have you since that time thought more about your own faith than you had before? It’s possible their efforts may have had an affect on your life they may not have expected!:wink:

Salvation Is Of The Heart

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine HEART that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved” (Romans 10:9).

“But not as the offence, so also is the FREE GIFT. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many. And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the FREE GIFT is of many offences unto justification” (Romans 5:15,16).

"Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me. For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he that cometh preacheth ANOTHER JESUS, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive ANOTHER SPIRIT, which ye have not received, or ANOTHER GOSPEL, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him” (2nd Corinthians 11:1-4)

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.”

“Knowing that a man is NOT JUSTIFIED BY THE WORKS OF THE LAW, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and NOT BY THE WORKS OF THE LAW: for BY THE WORKS OF THE LAW SHALL NO FLESH BE JUSITIFIED” (Galatians 2:16).

Matthew 7:21, “Not every one that saith unto me, LORD, LORD, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.”

Matthew 7:22, “Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?”

Matthew 7:23, “And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.”

John 6:40, “And this is the WILL of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.”

God’s will is for each and every person to see Jesus as He is portrayed in the Word of God and to believe on Him.

How To Know Your Saved

“The Spirit itself BEARETH WITNESS with our spirit, that we are the children of God” (Romans 8:16).

“And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another COMFORTER, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you” (John 14:16,17).

How does God’s Holy Spirit bear witness to our spirit that we are saved? Listen to the precious Words of Jesus, “And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another COMFORTER, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you” (John 14:16,17).

”—“Now if any man have not the SPIRIT OF CHRIST, he is none of his” (Romans 8:9).

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, BUT BY ME” (John 14:6)

“These THINGS have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may KNOW that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God” (1st John 5:13).

“And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and THIS LIFE IS IN HIS SON. HE THAT HATH THE SON HATH LIFE; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life” (1st John 5:11,12).

If they come around again, perhaps you could pull out your rosary and invite them to pray a decade with you, perhaps the Resurrection, in thanksgiving both for your deliverance in the accident and for their care of you afterwards. Tell them that you will be praying for them.

If you have a scriptural rosary book, carry it with you to read the scripture passage relevant to the decade.

Maybe, this is your chance to witness to them.

Like I said, their heart’s in the right place.:wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.