Boss ordering all Halal and Kosher for Christmas party

I stand corrected. I’ve edited my post to reflect that. The Muslims I know are apparently more lax—they consider food to be halal as long as it meets the criteria for cleanliness.

The prayer to Allah is not something I can understand people getting worked up about. They are praying to the creator of the universe. Now for me at this point it’s all tempest in teapot stuff, especially as I no longer regard myself as part of any faith group but even as a Catholic I’d have echoed Father George’s responses, just enjoy the food. Some you may like, some you may not. But that is true of any kind of cuisine and food that is Halal covers a very wide range of cuisines indeed. Lebanese dishes would be more my personal taste than Indonesian for example, with some exceptions but this whole furore over Halal food that arises at times bemuses me and always has done.

As an FYI, the OP is talking about two menus. Halal is not Kosher, and Kosher is not Halal. While similar, the practices differ enough that strict followers of each avoid the other.

The OP stated, in her first post,

My boss is a Christian and said to me she wanted to go all halal for the party. I said ok.

Sounds like one menu to me.
I don’t know what the Jewish people will eat or will the place that serves the halal provide some kosher dishes.
I realize the thread title says “halal and kosher” so it’s a little confusing to me as well, but it sounds like the idea is to cut back on the number of places providing food.
As I do not care if I’m eating halal, kosher or whatever, and I am not a caterer nor someone who orders the catering, it’s kind of moot to me.

Also, I feel like we’ve kind of beaten the horse to death and then some on this topic, so I’m out. Hope you have fun at the party, Martha.

@MarthaSo

Yes why not,If you’re that concerned, just say a small prayer and carry some holy water with you, and go a bit earlier,and sprinkle it on the food. do it with prudence though

This has not been changed till this day The Council at Jerusalem Acts 15:19 Therefore I have reached the decision that we should not trouble those Gentiles who are turning to God, 20 but we should write to them to abstain only from things polluted by idols and from fornication and from whatever has been strangled and from blood. 21 For in every city, for generations past, Moses has had those who proclaim him, for he has been read aloud every sabbath in the synagogues.”

Everything should be done through prayer

1 Timothy 4: 4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected, provided it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by God’s word and by prayer.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c4a1.htm

**[1671] Among sacramentals blessings (of persons, meals, objects, and places) come first. Every blessing praises God and prays for his gifts. In Christ, Christians are blessed by God the Father "with every spiritual blessing."177 This is why the Church imparts blessings by invoking the name of Jesus, usually while making the holy sign of the cross of Christ.

WEAPONS FOR BATTLE: THE USE OF SACRAMENTALS (HOLY WATER, BLESSED SALT, CRUCIFIXES) IN THE CHRISTIAN LIFE

I listened to this podcast while my husband was in the CICU over Thanksgiving, the fact that these words stuck with me is something because I was barely able to remember to eat every couple of days.

Listen to this. https://www.catholic.com/audio/cal/8812

Father is speaking of Thanksgiving, that it is a secular celebration but that the Church has always embraced times of feasting might help you put this in perspective. Join with your coworkers in celebrating that you have jobs, your business is doing well so there is $$ to provide you this celebration (our office cannot provide a Christmas party this year, and I work for the largest parish in town, the funds are not available this year).

Eat and drink and celebrate, share joy, Christ never commanded us to be surly because we don’t like the menu. Be kind.

Yes I agree. It is often much cheaper as well.

When I was in high school, I ate lunch in the school cafeteria from the 7th through 10th grade.

Not all of the kids in my public school were Catholic by any stretch of the imagination.

Back then, no meat every Friday- not just Lent- was the rule.

But the cafeteria ladies served us all fish or cheese pizza every Friday without fail. All the kids, Catholic, Baptist, whatever.

Same thing with your office party. I don’t think the non Catholic kids in school cared back then, I don’t think you need to get worried about it too much now either.

One of my dearest friends is Orthodox Jewish. When she and her husband visited my home, I served kosher snacks straight out of the bag onto plastic dishes. I served them tea. I heated the water in a new plastic container. I took these measures on my own so that they would be comfortable. And I am always a good hostess.

Is chocolate cake Halal?
If so, I would just show up with an armload of chocolate cakes and some cold milk…nobody can be mad with a mouthful of chocolate cake that have thick gooey layer of chocolate icing and a cold glass of milk…

@BlueMaxx: Halal is chiefly based on slaughter methods and forbidden foods such as pork, birds of prey, and land animals without external ears.

It’s much like kashrut (the Jewish dietary laws). I won’t list all the forbidden animals, fish and birds that are prohibited.

Great!

Chocolate cake and milk for the win then!

I did not read through the whole of the posts to see if you noted that anyone in your work was either Muslim or Jewish. If so, your boss is making room for those of other faiths to join in the dinner.

If not, then your boss may be doing the PC think, to which it is generally advisable that one not be caught rolling one’s eyes.

There has been a dust-up over a dinner in Germany, of a mixture of Muslims and others, some Christian, some possibly something else, and likely some of “Non Of The Above”.

The dust-up came as the caterers provided (among a raft of other foods) pork sausage. The Muslims have taken umbrage.

The PC crowd has condemned the serving of pork sausage as an outrageous insult to Muslims. Had that been the only meat presented, I would have agreed.

However, it was not, so one might ask why the Muslims feel that while they may not eat pork, they should be able to dictate to others (remember, this is in Germany) that the others could not eat what they traditionally do - pork sausage. A large percentage of Muslims are of recent immigration to Germany.

In any event, so much for the liberal PCers.

Which is not to say your boss is being PC; and if she is, the food should be quite good if the catering is up to snuff, and the dinner enjoyable.

And worst case scenario, you could find a reason you could not go, assuming that would not create a kerfuffle approaching a nuclear meltdown.

Might be time to start hunting. My freezer has this year’s mule deer, a small antelope (delicious!) and I just put in half of an elk my hunting partner shot. I can’t wait for elk stew or hamburgers.

Being allergic to the antibiotics in store-bought meat would be a major sacrifice in my book.

Halal slaughter is an act of worship (or a sacrifice) to Allah, the god of Islam, a false religion dating from 622AD, after Mohammed claimed to have been visited by the Angel Gabriel who dictated the Qur’an to him.

In this visitation ‘Gabriel’ told Mohammed that God has no Son and that God is unable to become incarnate, thus contradicting the true Angel Gabriel’s words to Mary, some six centuries earlier, telling her that she was to become the Mother of God.

Mohammed’s ‘angel’ was most certainly a demon, himself can pass for an angel of light (2. Cor.11: 14-15), Islam, the new religion he taught, is a false religion: But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach a gospel to you besides that which we have preached to you, let him be under God’s curse! (1. Gal.1: 8-9). Allah is therefore a false god or idol.

In the 1st comandment we are forbidden to worship false gods or idols, which follows that I am forbidden to have anything to do with the worship of the false god Allah, which, I believe, includes the eating of meat that has been slaughtered ritually by a Muslim(s) pronouncing the ‘tasmiyah’ as an act of worship or a sacrifice to him.

Muslims are strictly forbidden to eat meat slaughtered ‘in the name of anyone but Allah.

I believe that as a Catholic I must bear witness to my faith in God, and His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. I cannot in conscience eat the halal meat

It is a difficult situation. Many Sikhs refuse to eat Halal meat on religious grounds, I am not sure where this party is taking place, but in some parts of the UK there are a lot of Sikhs. To provide food OK for everyone, perhaps Vegan would be best.

There are also some non-muslims who will not eat Halal meat as they believe it to be cruel as the animal is not stunned prior to slaughter

How would the boss know the religious convictions of all employees?

Now THAT would be a reason to boycott :slight_smile:

There are McDonalds restaurants in India, but they want the native people there to be able to enjoy their cuisine without offending their religious sensibilities.

So the Indians branches of the world’s top restaurant chain serves neither beef nor pork to diners there- cows being considered sacred by the Hindus, and pigs unclean by India’s #2 religion.

I wouldn’t be offended if i was at the New Delhi Mickey Dee’s and could get what I was used to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.