Boss wants me to lie

My boss is a real estate agent/loan officer, and he wants me to call the IRS to request tax transcripts for a client of his. He wants me to pretend I’m her when calling. The first time I called I did, but it the information didn’t match. I called again to try using a different address, but I decided not to lie the second time. But, the man on the phone told me he had to speak with the taxpayer, and I could try an automated phone with the information. Is it a mortal sin if I call again and pretend to be the taxpayer?

Why can’t the taxpayer respond? Why not contact the taxpayer and let him know he has to deal with this? It’s his business not yours or your boss’s. :confused:

You shouldn’t have to lie or put yourself in danger of breaking the law to sell property. It’s totally unfair and wrong for your boss to expect you to lie for him–that’s what he’s really asking you to do. Even if it costs you your job, it’s not worth it on any level.

Lying is not an option.

(see the Catechism et al)

Nope. His job, his request. Surely he’s not that busy that he can’t take care of it himself.
you tired, it didn’t work. Tell him it doesn’t work, he has to call himself. Period.

Not only is there grave matter here but legal as well… :eek:

Have you ever seen the movie courageous?

If not, there is a scene where a man who is desperate to find work if offered a great job. But before he gets the job he has to go through a test, and the test is to lie about the number of shipments coming in. This christian man who had a family to support had to make the decision on whether to lie and get this job, or not lie and loose the job.

Is your job more important then your relationship with God? If not, then don’t lie for your boss and trust in God’s plan no matter what it is.

God Bless,
ChurchSuffering

Thank you everyone! I did lie the first time I called but it didn’t work anyway and I didn’t feel right. So, the next times I called I asked if I could request on behalf of someone else but they said no. I did try requesting it online with their info though but it didn’t work and so I told my boss. I decided not to call again and pretend to be her. But, I do plan on confessing this. Thank you for your comments!

If it’s a sin, you can confess, say your penance, be absolved.

Between the lines, I’m reading, “lying to an employee of the U.S. federal government in an attempt to procure confidential information that you are not authorized to access.” A judge might have given your penance as more than the recitation of a few Hail Marys. :o

Remember; O what a tangled web we weave; when first we practice to deceive.

This kind of vaguely reminds me of Glengarry Glen Ross, for some reason.

Lying to the IRS for your boss just sounds like a very bad idea!:shrug:

Apart from being a sin isn’t what you are doing also a criminal act?

It’s not only a sin, it is a Federal Crime! It could result in Jail Time! Given that choice, Don’t do the Crime of you don’t want to do the Time. It’s better to be looking for a job than sitting in prison.

Loan officer’s don;t like to bother their clients for stuff like this for some reason, even if the borrower can resolve the matter easily. Makes no sense!

Did you have the client fill out the 4506T? If so, did you make sure that the borrower’s name and address matches the most recent 1040 exactly? If it does not the IRS will reject.

Or did you send it in and get that rejection the IRS is sending out this year saying they can’t talk to 3rd party. Our vendor who handles 4506 says that it means that the borrower is a possibly a victim of identity theft.

“Here’s the deal, Mister Bossman. I do not lie. This means that I will not lie to you. Ever. This also means that when I am talking to other people, I will not lie about you. Ever. But this also means that I will not lie for you. Ever. Period.”

:clapping: Great words to remember when in such a situation. :thumbsup:

I like that! Thank you!

You’re welcome. If I was able to help, I’m glad :slight_smile:

The problem with following a request for a brief lie to solve a problem is that it will be expected going forward as a business rule (I.e., each time you are faced with needing the same information, the boss will presumptively ask why you didn’t use the same tactic as last time without even being asked). Also, the boss could begin giving difficult or unrealistic assignments that would require you to compromise or take shortcuts to complete them, using a false urgency to manipulate and ‘just get it done’. The business environment becomes one with constant urgencies and ‘firefighting’… It just isn’t worth it. These have been my experiences in previous jobs. I would simply respond with “Could we just try contacting the client, etc”? Ultimately great people join great companies but leave because of a bad manager…

Don’t do this. It’s not only a sin, it’s also a crime.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.