Boston Bans Smoking In Public Parks

breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/12/31/Boston-approves-ban-on-smoking-in-city-run-parks#comment-1182256445

Personally, I support what Boston has done. Smokers are pigs. They are constantly throwing their cigarette butts all over the place for others to pick up.

Any thoughts?

[quote="Irish_Cabbie, post:1, topic:349847"]
Smokers are pigs.

Any thoughts?

[/quote]

Now there is a good old fashioned "Christian attitude"

Just sayin :shrug:

since people go to a park to enjoy nature and not to breathe poisonous gasses coming from cigarette smoke, I am all for this! (I have several relatives that smoke and I can NOT stand being around them).

breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/12/31/Boston-approves-ban-on-smoking-in-city-run-parks#comment-1182256445

Personally, I support what Boston has done. Smokers are pigs. They are constantly throwing their cigarette butts all over the place for others to pick up.

Any thoughts?

[/quote]

Oink oink.

The way this is worded, it would also ban "E-cigarettes" which are not disposable (so no butts), only release water vapor (no carcinogens), and are used by many as a path toward quitting smoking altogether. If they're concerned about "lighted or vaporized substances", let's see them ban all internal-combustion engines from public parks. That would be cars, leaf blowers, lawnmowers, snow blowers, weed whackers... Otherwise, this is just a low-cost political swipe at those of us who AREN'T "constantly throwing their cigarette butts all over the place for others to pick up".

[quote="twopekinguys, post:2, topic:349847"]
Now there is a good old fashioned "Christian attitude"

Just sayin :shrug:

[/quote]

Some of the best polemicists I know are Christians.

[quote="jediliz, post:3, topic:349847"]
since people go to a park to enjoy nature and not to breathe poisonous gasses coming from cigarette smoke, I am all for this! (I have several relatives that smoke and I can NOT stand being around them).

[/quote]

You're right, I would much rather inhale those wonderful fumes from lawnmowers, diesel trucks, and automobiles going by. Not to mention all of the cheap cologne that costs less than a gallon of gas.

Here's the thing. If you don't like the smell, don't go near it. You're outside for goodness sake, it's not like you are locked in a broom closet.

Any thoughts?

[/quote]

I once was smoking in a hospital parking lot far away from any buildings. I had one of their rent-a-cops drive by and tell me that I needed to stop smoking because I was exposing everyone to second hand smoke. I told him I'd be more than happy to put it out once he turned off his car and stopped exposing me to the harmful emissions it was producing. He drove off and I finished my smoke.

If Boston really cared about the health of its citizens, it would first start by banning cars.

Boston's decision seems to be part of a growing trend:

*[Janice Goodard, spokeswoman for the Boston Parks and Recreation Commission stated that] police, who spoke in favor of the ban, and park rangers will enforce the measure. The ban is an expansion of an existing law that prohibited smoking at so-called tot lots.

Six other large US cities have similar bans, including Chicago, New York City, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, according to the Health Commission. In Massachusetts, 35 municipalities have banned smoking in parks, beaches, or some other public space*
bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/12/31/boston-parks-smoking-ban-takes-effect-immediately-penalty/Vam6hCPnkDDVJAp0BoPysI/story.html

Another reason why Boston is my favorite city. :thumbsup:

Go Sox!
Go Pats!

Any place where they ban smoking is great with me -- my sister died of lung cancer, and there's no cigarette worth what she went through.
I live near two high schools and I can't believe the number of students who are outside the school smoking. It was all I could do after my sister passed away to jump out of the car and plead with them to STOP!!!

There's an annual "pot festival" on Boston Common, drawing thousands, at which the police are notorious for "looking the other way" while vast quantities of marijuana are being smoked. It will be interesting to see if this smoking ban applies equally to that event. Of course, here in Liberal Land, tobacco bad, marijuana good.

I think it's a good idea.

Banning smoking in outdoor areas where internal combustion engines are still allowed is pure hypocrisy. Assuming that an average cigarette takes 10 minutes to smoke, it will release ~14mg of pollutants. A new, non-electric car driving at 25mph will release ~15g of pollutants in the same time period - an amount over a thousand times greater. Even if we assumed that 100% of the cigarette - filter and all - were converted directly to pollution, that's still 15 smokers per car.

[quote="twopekinguys, post:6, topic:349847"]
You're right, I would much rather inhale those wonderful fumes from lawnmowers, diesel trucks, and automobiles going by. Not to mention all of the cheap cologne that costs less than a gallon of gas.

Here's the thing. If you don't like the smell, don't go near it. You're outside for goodness sake, it's not like you are locked in a broom closet.

[/quote]

Well said and that's from a nonsmoker who 5 years after public smoking was banned in Iowa remains opposed to smoking bans. Let the free market decide.

Don't smoke, but don't agree with this. Smokers seem to be a convenient target for much ire these days.

Yes cigarette butts are revolting, but so is chewed gum on the ground as well. :mad:

[quote="twopekinguys, post:6, topic:349847"]

[/quote]

That's what really annoys me about every discussion about smoking on the internet. Some of my fellow non-smokers blow these things way out of proportion. People get far more wound up about something that they can easily get away from than they do about poverty, illegal guns or wasteful spending by the government, ya know, actually bad things.

"Someone is smoking outside? Oh no! What a horrible minor inconvenience:eek:. If only the people of Boston had legs or something which they could use to walk ten feet away, then they wouldn't smell bad FOREVER and immediately die of cancer the very next day:mad:. I must lecture that smokers about how disgusting they are and how bad smoking is because they obviously don't already know:tsktsk:. I'm sure my nagging and condescension will make the situation much better:rolleyes:."

Any thoughts?

[/quote]

If you think this will stop that.........:shrug:

[quote="oldcatholicguy, post:7, topic:349847"]
I once was smoking in a hospital parking lot far away from any buildings. I had one of their rent-a-cops drive by and tell me that I needed to stop smoking because I was exposing everyone to second hand smoke. I told him I'd be more than happy to put it out once he turned off his car and stopped exposing me to the harmful emissions it was producing. He drove off and I finished my smoke.

If Boston really cared about the health of its citizens, it would first start by banning cars.

[/quote]

Don't give them any ideas!!! They just might do that! :p

Anymore, it just seems like people are looking for ways to be offended.

Don't like smoking outside, don't go near it.
Don't like what's on TV, change the channel or turn it off.
Don't like the music on the radio, same thing.
etc.
etc.

I just don't get people sometimes. :shrug:

Personally, I have a huge allergy to a lot of different colognes. I can't expect everyone in the world to not wear cologne. Although, some people could use lessons/guidance on how much to bathe in. I mean wear. :p

I simply remove myself from the situation, and go on from there. It really isn't that difficult.

It is impossible for me to imagine that someone smoking outside is presenting any kind of health threat to others who are also outside, particularly when those others are constantly subjected to pollution of every kind and in much greater quantity. People sit in their cars in which the plastic is outgassing and don't think anything of it. They cook plastic all the time indoors in virtually every appliance. People will stand or sit around a barbecue with dioxins flying all over the place, and never associate that with health risk. And when you can smell the gasoline when you're filling your car, you're taking in some awfully major chemicals.

I guess maybe people associate the cigarette smell with health risk because they have been taught to do it, and don't associate, for example, auto exhaust with it even though exposure to that would often be in far greater concentration.

Possibly I am one of the few people on earth who actually thinks dilute cigarette smoke smells pleasant. In a closed room, it isn't. But outside, it's different; very sweet and aromatic.

I think I'm right about that, despite what people say about it. I recall reading that in WWII, the Germans could tell when G.I.s were nearby because they could smell that sweet smell of American tobacco; a smell that was different from their own tobacco, which had a bitter smell to it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.