Bow before receiving the Precious Blood...

This is a rather silly question, but here it goes... Are we supposed to bow before receiving the Precious Blood? During RCIA, we were taught that when recieving the Eucharist under both species, we should bow before receiving both. I rarely see anyone bow before recieving the Precious Blood at my parish and it makes me wonder if this is obligatory. I know I certainly feel a bit out of place when I am the only one who bows before the cup...

[quote="lucusk, post:1, topic:292566"]
This is a rather silly question, but here it goes... Are we supposed to bow before receiving the Precious Blood? During RCIA, we were taught that when recieving the Eucharist under both species, we should bow before receiving both. I rarely see anyone bow before recieving the Precious Blood at my parish and it makes me wonder if this is obligatory. I know I certainly feel a bit out of place when I am the only one who bows before the cup...

[/quote]

I wish I could help, but we only receive the Body of Christ at our parish. I guess I should learn the proper form for receiving the Precious Blood in case Im not in a position to attend an EF on any certain Sunday

From the GIRM (emphasis mine):

1. ...When receiving Holy Communion, the communicant bows his or her head before the Sacrament as a gesture of reverence and receives the Body of the Lord from the minister. The consecrated host may be received either on the tongue or in the hand, at the discretion of each communicant. When Holy Communion is received under both kinds, the sign of reverence is also made before receiving the Precious Blood.

[/quote]

The GRIM says to bow before receiving Communion. The Precious Blood is Communion. If people don't do it, it is because they don't know.

Well, it is true that you learn something new everyday! I did not know that you should bow before the cup. I also did not know that there are parishes that do not serve the cup. Is there a reason for that?

[quote="marian_love, post:5, topic:292566"]
Well, it is true that you learn something new everyday! I did not know that you should bow before the cup. I also did not know that there are parishes that do not serve the cup. Is there a reason for that?

[/quote]

The normal thing should be NOT receiving the cup at all, except on very special days like first communion. We are given everything of Christ in the bread already; His Body, His Blood, His Soul, His Divinity etc!

I have heard some people saying that they feel like they have been given less if they do not receive Him in both forms - that is a tragedy!

[quote="Nils, post:6, topic:292566"]
The normal thing should be NOT receiving the cup at all, except on very special days like first communion. We are given everything of Christ in the bread already; His Body, His Blood, His Soul, His Divinity etc!

I have heard some people saying that they feel like they have been given less if they do not receive Him in both forms - that is a tragedy!

[/quote]

A greater tragedy is to claim that whatsoever Sacrament the Church offers should normally NOT be received at all.

[/quote]

It's in the GIRM, meaning it's obligatory. Many Americans don't do it, though. We also don't bow our heads at every mention of the names of Jesus, Mary, the saints being honored at that Mass, or the three Divine Persons together, or at the waist at the Incarnatus, etc. (per GIRM 275).

I guess we're too busy groping one another during the Our Father and the sign of peace to be doing the things we're actually *supposed *to be doing!

[quote="sw85, post:8, topic:292566"]
It's in the GIRM, meaning it's obligatory. Many Americans don't do it, though. We also don't bow our heads at every mention of the names of Jesus, Mary, the saints being honored at that Mass, or the three Divine Persons together, or at the waist at the Incarnatus, etc. (per GIRM 275).

I guess we're too busy groping one another during the Our Father and the sign of peace to be doing the things we're actually *supposed *to be doing!

[/quote]

Or too busy watching at what other people are doing, eh?

Well think about it. You are about the receive the body and blood of our dear Lord Jesus. Yes I would reverence him. I usually turn to the crucifix afterward and cross myself in thanksgiving. Really should not matter what others do. Yes we are asked to do this as a gesture duing Mass, but we are mostly moved to do so from the heart. Stick with what you are doing and you may be surprised to find that others begin to do so also. There are many ways of being a leader!:)

I'd say they probably just were not taught. When I did my First Communion, we weren't taught to bow at all, but to make the sign of the cross after receiving. As I've gotten older, I realize this is inaccurate.

[quote="Nils, post:6, topic:292566"]

[/quote]

I have personally heard people admit to parish shopping so that they can actually receive under both species.

I genuflect before I receive under each of the species. I don't feel that merely bending your neck is enough due reverence to the Lord. If I could I would receive laying flat on my belly in complete prostration, though this is a fantasy as that would be hard to pull off every Sunday. I like Cardinal Arinze's opinion on receiving that if you really believe the God of all creation is present under the accidents of bread and wine, why would you not show some humility and reverence why don't you "crawl" before your Lord.

For Churches that receive standing do what the others do unless you have the view I do then do whatever you feel is needed. Again referring to Arinze he says that those who wish to receive in a certain manner should be left in "peace not in pieces".

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:12, topic:292566"]
I have personally heard people admit to parish shopping so that they can actually receive under both species.

[/quote]

People parish shop for much less. Personally, I get a lot out of receiving both, and would be very disappointed if our bishop were ever to take the cup away. I'm also a bit disappointed when I go to a parish that doesn't offer both.

Since not as many people receive the cup, I also feel like I have more time there, and the minister often seems more personal in presenting it, probably since they haven't said the same thing 100 times already.

I bow from the waist to both before receiving. But like you, I rarely see others in church bowing. I wish that more would, but how to make others aware? I would assume it's up to a priest to mention it during homily at some point.

[quote="Stylites, post:9, topic:292566"]

[/quote]

He actually made a good point. Those things that are obligatory acts to show reverence to the Lord are usually easily dismissed, but those that are novelties, that make people feel good, are performed ritually at every Mass, in most places. Like those he mentioned.

[quote="Stylites, post:7, topic:292566"]
A greater tragedy is to claim that whatsoever Sacrament the Church offers should normally NOT be received at all.

[/quote]

You receive the Sacrament fully when you eat Him.

[quote="Stylites, post:9, topic:292566"]

[/quote]

No, I bow in reverence to the Lord before receiving Him.

=lucusk;9556565]This is a rather silly question, but here it goes... Are we supposed to bow before receiving the Precious Blood? During RCIA, we were taught that when recieving the Eucharist under both species, we should bow before receiving both. I rarely see anyone bow before recieving the Precious Blood at my parish and it makes me wonder if this is obligatory. I know I certainly feel a bit out of place when I am the only one who bows before the cup...

YES WE MUST!

THE PRECIOUS BLOOD IS NO LES CHRIST IN PERSON THAN THE SACRED HOST.

PLEASE LEAD BY EXAMPLE:)

God Bless,
pat /PJM

[quote="Nils, post:17, topic:292566"]
You receive the Sacrament fully when you eat Him.

[/quote]

Yes you do, but the Church has decreed that:

"Holy Communion has a more complete form as a sign when it is received under both kinds. For in this manner of reception a fuller sign of the Eucharistic banquet shines forth. Moreover there is a clearer expression of that will by which the new and everlasting covenant is ratified in the blood of the Lord and of the relationship of the Eucharistic banquet to the eschatological banquet in the Father's kingdom."

The Bishops of England and Wales encourage people to receive Communion under both forms, however, Christ, whole and entire, and the true Sacrament, is received even under one form and if we receive only under the form of bread or under the form of wine we are in no way deprived of sacramental grace

So it is perfectly permissible for Parishes to offer under both kinds, and those who chose to receive under both kinds are entitled to do so in line with the Church's teachings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.