Bowing to the Precious Blood?

Is it true that under the new GIRM we are supposed to bow to the Precious Blood even if we do not receive It?

No, you only reverence or bow to it when you approach the minister to receive it.

Not to sure about that.

Our pastor made a big deal about informing us that we MUST bow, (he said a slight nod of the head would do) when passing by the Precious Blood even if NOT receiving it.

The Precious Blood is JESUS…

However, if you’ve already received the host you’re carrying Jesus within you. So a bow if bypassing the cup is not necessary.

By the way, the “bow” that is requested is just a simple nod of the head, not the deep bow at the waist that seems to be the fad in my parish among those who bow at all. Kinda looks like a game of whac-a-mole at times, all that bobbing up and down.

My sister genuflects before recieving the Body. I always bow before the cup anyways, you can never be too reverent to God.

[quote=mkw]Not to sure about that.

Our pastor made a big deal about informing us that we MUST bow, (he said a slight nod of the head would do) when passing by the Precious Blood even if NOT receiving it.

[/quote]

I would think the rule of not genuflecting to the tabernacle during the Mass would apply to bowing to the Precious Blood if not receiving from the chalice. As one exits and enters their pew during Holy Communion how many genuflect to the Blessed Sacrament? You don’t find what he has instructed specifically in the GIRM.

[quote=mkw]Not to sure about that.

[/quote]

Although this is not mentioned in the GIRM, If my Pastor told me to do anything that was not against Faith or morals, I would do it. I believe this is the proper priority. Obey and question later.

This definitely does present a problem, though, when we are instructed to do something other than the GIRM instructions.

[quote=Mysty101]Although this is not mentioned in the GIRM, If my Pastor told me to do anything that was not against Faith or morals, I would do it. I believe this is the proper priority. Obey and question later.

This definitely does present a problem, though, when we are instructed to do something other than the GIRM instructions.
[/quote]

I believe that the GIRM says before receiving one makes a proper sign of reverence. If one isn’t receiving then no sign of reverence is required.

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]I believe that the GIRM says before receiving one makes a proper sign of reverence. If one isn’t receiving then no sign of reverence is required.
[/quote]

I agree, but if the Pastor instructs his Parishioners to make the sign, shouldn’t they obey?

I was told that obedience is a priority unless it is against faith or morals.

[quote=Mysty101]I agree, but if the Pastor instructs his Parishioners to make the sign, shouldn’t they obey?

I was told that obedience is a priority unless it is against faith or morals.
[/quote]

I won’t say ignore the pastors instructions. But the pastor should not be instructing in a manner that is inconsistent with the documents and instruction of the Church.

Yes,I receive Jesus, Body Blood Soul and Divinity in the Eucharist, but I also bow to the Precious Blood in the Chalise if for some reason I don’t receive both.

As posted earlier, “You can never show too much reverence” to our Lord.

[quote=mkw]As posted earlier, “You can never show too much reverence” to our Lord.
[/quote]

The problem with that is that Everyone who has recieved the Eucharist has Jesus fully Present within them.

Why not bow to Christ physically Present in them as well?

In parishes in my area, bowing seems to be the “in thing” to do. People are bowing every chance they get, whether they’ve been instructed to or not, whether it’s the appropriate degree of bow or not, whether it looks reasonable or not.

It’s a fad that will pass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.