Boy, 9, commits suicide after coming out as gay, being bullied by classmates: mom

Children are afraid of difference so they lash out through bullying and violence.

I can imagine that this boy was also suffering from mental illness which was fueled by the bullying.

My daughter in 9 and I don’t think she even understands death much less the concept of taking your own life.

Suicide by a child that age is rare.

Poor little boy. I’ve got a 9 year old boy. He and his friends from school are still little kids. :frowning:

Is it possible for a 9-year-old to even be that aware of his sexual preference? It sounds like this kid liked girl toys and girl clothes. That doesn’t mean a boy is gay, and there are plenty of adult gay men who liked trucks and GI Joes and wearing jeans.

I know when I was 9 years old, I wasn’t feeling any sort of “stirring in the loins” for anybody.

I think the key phrase was where he told his mother that he was “proud.” I don’t remember telling my mom that I was proud of anything at that age (I never was a high achiever). It sounds like he was being encouraged by someone/something to make such a statement.

I can see a 9-year-old being proud over normal kid things, like getting 100 percent on your test, drawing a picture that you really like, getting praise or a gold star from your teacher, or winning an athletic competition.

Kids usually don’t go around being “proud” over sexuality stuff when they’re first hitting puberty. They have mixed feelings, sometimes embarrassment and sometimes just wanting to ignore the whole thing.

I agree with you that mom likely encouraged this type of stuff. Or else she is making up stories for media attention in the wake of her child’s tragic death.

I’ve got two boys and a girl.

9 year old boys are little kids. Honestly, in my son’s class they are at the point that many of the girls are taller and look older. Girls tend to develop younger than boys do.

I hope that this little boy wasn’t targeted by someone older.

Adults with bad intentions troll the internet to find young impressionable kids. They pass themselves off as other kids.

I wondered the same thing. It’s been a long time since I was nine, but I generally cant think of kids that age having a sexuality. Assuming it’s correlated to puberty I did a quick search on the average age of puberty and got the following.

My search result agrees with you.

9 is young for a boy. Precocious puberty can happen, but that’s often due to an endocrine problem.

And he goes, ‘Can I be honest with you?’" Pierce said. “And I was like, ‘Sure,’ and he’s like, ‘I know you buy me boy stuff because I’m a boy, but I’d rather dress like a girl.’”

Unfortunately the boy had some serious problems.

I blame the parent here too. Kids who don’t fit in are gonna be bullied, their parent(s) need to support them and teach them resiliency. So sad this boy didn’t share he was being bullied with his mother, who could have done something about it.

I’d say it’s less about sexuality than compliance with gender norms and ‘fitting in’. Some young boys play with dolls or do want to dress like girls but that doesn’t equal being gay. Plenty of such kids grow and are hetero in their orientation.

The culture is pushing homosexuality and transgenderism. If the kid was plugged into pop culture, and most sadly are, then his mind was being corrupted. Ironically being gay still can mean wanting to dress like a woman. If anyone who doesn’t approve of homosexuality linked the two they’d be called a hater.

My question is “Why was his internet usage not being monitored?”

I don’t know anything about the kid’s usage in this case but in my experience parents do a pretty poor job. Most adult programs are unacceptable for kids and I think a good many children’s programs are as well. I think you really need to unplug to protect children these days.

This is Gold! :grinning: Same here :sweat_smile:

Like a teacher?

According to WebMD:

American boys are starting puberty up to two years earlier than decades ago, new data show.

Boys are entering puberty at an average age of 10 among whites and Hispanics, and at an average age of 9 among African-Americans. About a third of boys start to mature sexually up to two years earlier than average.

So when you’re first starting puberty, do you immediately know you’re gay or straight or do you even have any idea what is going on?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.