Boy puts on female clothes!

Hello to all,
i registered today, because my sister asked me a question, that i’d like to discuss with other catholics:

My sisters son is 6 years old. he is a very cute boy and pleases his parents in several regards.

last week my sister told me this story: one morning she had found a run in her pantyhose. so the hose came off and was put into the wastebasket, that she keeps in the bathroom.

a few hours later she found my nephew playing with her old pantyhose: he had taken the hose from the wastebasket, pulled them over his legs up to his underarms. He seemed to enjoy to play “i am like mommy”!

later in the evening my sister secretly removed the garment from her sons room and disposed of it.

a few days later the scene happened once more: again my nephew took an old pair of pantyhose from the wastebasket, put them on and played in them during the day in the house!

my sister asked me how to handle the situation: Let her son play in female items sometimes ? forbid it ? maybe even ask a doctor ?

I’d be glad if some of you here write down your thoughts of it.

greetings from russia, yours - Helen !

Freaking out over a male child playing with panty-hose at six is really silly. Panty hose feels like nothing else and is really neat to put on. My brothers and I were putting it over our faces for years. :D It was incredibly fun.

No, don't send the kid to a dr. If he likes clingy clothing buy him something that feels that way...even if it's a batman costume...or peter pan or whatever.

Likely, this fascination will be over soon. If it isn't at some point he will face ridicule from his peers and as long as he's prepared for that (eg. honey, that's something only girls wear and your friends may laugh...are you sure you want to play with that?). And he will likely forget his love of pantyhose

It would be a non issue in our home.

And taking the panty hose away would just exacerbate the problem, or make the child feel like there is something wrong with him. A doctor would *definitely *make the poor child think there's something "bad" or "weird" about him. There is nothing "weird" with a child being fascinated with something stretchy like pantyhose!

I would let him play till the novelty has worn off.

Greetings, Helen, from the United States.

Personally, I would advise against worrying about this or asking a doctor about this. A 6-year-old boy doing this is just being silly and innocent, a normal, healthy part of growing up.

Most likely, he’ll grow out of it eventually. We all did silly, goofy things as kids, that was a part of the beauty of being a child: It was a time to be carefree and innocent.

Stay strong, and try to find humor in it all. The little guy will eventually start thinking “Man, pantyhose is a girl thing, no way I’m going to touch that.”

God bless!

I remember a former friend of mine telling the same story - i don’t know why pantyhose seem to appeal to little boys…

we agreed that it would be a momentary phase, no need to worry ! my friend just didnt comply that he put clothes out of the trash !

so finally she decided - when pantyhose had a run - she tied the legs together in very tight knots, that were impossible to undo: she did this so that they couldn’t be worn anymore!

when her son found out, that old pantyhose were inservibile - he stopped his habit within a short time !

don't freak out, nylons just feel cool. The kid probably doesn't really realize it's only girls clothes. Chances are he'd have no interest in putting on mommy's dress or lipstick

[quote="shondrea, post:6, topic:197104"]
don't freak out, nylons just feel cool. The kid probably doesn't really realize it's only girls clothes. Chances are he'd have no interest in putting on mommy's dress or lipstick

[/quote]

Well I'll have to correct you on that last word. I know that my brothers were fascinated with "mommy's big red crayon"!!!!!

Worry about this if he is 16, not 6.

Don’t worry, the odds aren’t that he’ll turn into J. Edgar Hoover…

Personally, I think it is funny that so many people think nylons feel ‘cool’ or ‘nice’ because they feel plain awful to me, and I am a woman! Thankfully, I live in the Deep South, where for most of the year, it is normal and acceptable to go with bare legs under one’s dresses and skirts. But when I lived in the midwest where nylons are the norm, I hated wearing them.

I don’t really have an opinion about boys sneaking nylons to try on, because my 2yo son steals my sandals to walk around in. I think it is cute to see him trying to walk, but it didn’t occur to me to consider any gender issues.:shrug::slight_smile:

[quote="Helen_T, post:1, topic:197104"]
Hello to all,
i registered today, because my sister asked me a question, that i'd like to discuss with other catholics:

My sisters son is 6 years old. he is a very cute boy and pleases his parents in several regards.

last week my sister told me this story: one morning she had found a run in her pantyhose. so the hose came off and was put into the wastebasket, that she keeps in the bathroom.

a few hours later she found my nephew playing with her old pantyhose: he had taken the hose from the wastebasket, pulled them over his legs up to his underarms. He seemed to enjoy to play "i am like mommy"!

later in the evening my sister secretly removed the garment from her sons room and disposed of it.

a few days later the scene happened once more: again my nephew took an old pair of pantyhose from the wastebasket, put them on and played in them during the day in the house!

my sister asked me how to handle the situation: Let her son play in female items sometimes ? forbid it ? maybe even ask a doctor ?

I'd be glad if some of you here write down your thoughts of it.

greetings from russia, yours - Helen !

[/quote]

He is 6, he wants to be like mommy, not a drag queen. I see it as perfectly normal.

Joe

All 4 of my sons loved feeling my nylons each time I would put them on. They just liked the feeling. My 4th son would put on my high heels and walk around the house when he was young. Heck I caught him wearing my shoes (I have large feet size 10) to go outside into the yard a few times when he was 15!

Another story that might ease your sister's mind. When my second son was 16, he went to a Halloween party and dressed up as a fairy! He was the hit of the party. A few years later, my 4th son went out with his friends for halloween at 13 yrs old, like big brother, he dressed up as a fairy! Yup, you guessed it, he was the hit of the group. He also said "I'm comfortable with my gender and don't feel threatened by dressing up like this".

This youngest boy of mine even sits on my lap once in a while... wanna know his age now? You'd never guess that he's going to be 20 in July would you? LOL! There's no sign at all that he has a problem with his gender, he enjoys being a guy. I guess he was really telling the truth when he was a 13 yr old fairy :p

Would you freak out if your 6 year old daughter put on her daddies work boots, or hat and said she was like daddy?

I wouldn't worry too much it's just a phase.

[quote="Loboto-Me, post:11, topic:197104"]
All 4 of my sons loved feeling my nylons each time I would put them on. They just liked the feeling. My 4th son would put on my high heels and walk around the house when he was young. Heck I caught him wearing my shoes (I have large feet size 10) to go outside into the yard a few times when he was 15!

Another story that might ease your sister's mind. When my second son was 16, he went to a Halloween party and dressed up as a fairy! He was the hit of the party. A few years later, my 4th son went out with his friends for halloween at 13 yrs old, like big brother, he dressed up as a fairy! Yup, you guessed it, he was the hit of the group. He also said "I'm comfortable with my gender and don't feel threatened by dressing up like this".

This youngest boy of mine even sits on my lap once in a while... wanna know his age now? You'd never guess that he's going to be 20 in July would you? LOL! There's no sign at all that he has a problem with his gender, he enjoys being a guy. I guess he was really telling the truth when he was a 13 yr old fairy :p

[/quote]

Awww - you've given me such a jolt of happiness with that last paragraph! I too have 4 sons - the youngest being 12 and still very much attached to me (happily for me). He still curls up in the chair with me early in the morning before getting ready for school. I've been so worried that at any time, he will stop wanting to hang out with me. You've given me hope! heehee

I remember being at a friends house and her son was forever putting on her high heels and running around the kitchen floor but NEVER on the rug with them. My friend said 'I think he finds the clickyti clack of the shoes funny and that is why he is doing it.'

I strongly suspect this little boy is putting on nylons for some reason adults wouldn't think of. Personally (and I am a woman), I think when I was 6, the thrill of putting on mommy's nylons would stem from the fact that mommy is so much taller, I can actually pull them up to my arm pits. I think it is the fun of wearing big clothes. Something that has nothing to do with nylons.

I realize it is hard to get the truth out of kids, but could she perhaps ask him why he does it? He could give an answer she never though of.

CM

Get him some plastic tools, a football, and do a little playful boxing with him. Do it sooner rather than later.

[quote="phil8888, post:15, topic:197104"]
Get him some plastic tools, a football, and do a little playful boxing with him. Do it sooner rather than later.

[/quote]

:rolleyes: Puh-lease. If you think trying on mommy's clothes will "make him gay", you have some learning to do! :rotfl::ehh::rotfl:

It's a textural thing. Nylons feel weird - kind of slippery, kind of soft, they can be pulled up, they stretch really far - they are FUN!

AND some guys wear nylons or tights....many NFL football players wear nylons....Renaissance actors wear tights, which are an awfully lot like nylons...:thumbsup:

narth.com/docs/fitz.html

As long as he is aware that he is a boy and engaging in in other "boy" things then I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.

Be thankful it's only pantyhose! I remember my sister telling a story her friend told her - my sister's friend had two boys. One day (they were about 9 or 10 years old) she left them home while she went to the store.

In those days (more than 40 years ago) sanitary pads had loops at each end so you could hook them onto a type of belt. The boys took their mother being out of the house as an opportunity to explore her bedroom dresser and, of course, found a package of pads. They had no clue what they were, but, with their excellent imaginations, quickly decided that these things would make good masks for a game.

Imagine my sister's friend's horror when she returned from the store to find her sons playing in the street each with their toy guns and a sanitary pad across his face, with the loops around their ears!! :D

Pantyhose! No big deal!! A child's imagination will suggest many uses for our everyday things that would never occur to us, and they will also lose interest in these items, sooner or later, without any harm to them.

:eek::rotfl: Awesomely Funny!

Have u ever brought him hunting?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.