Boy Scouts sues City of Philadelphia

http://www.bsalegal.org/images/clear.gif

The Cradle of Liberty Council of Boy Scouts of America today sued the City of Philadelphia to prevent the City from violating the Scouts’ constitutional rights.

The lawsuit can be downloaded by clicking here.

Boy Scouts of America National Council had this to say about the lawsuit:Boy Scouts of America is watching closely the situation in Philadelphia and is prepared to support the Cradle of Liberty Council should the City take any action against the Council.
Although the Philadelphia situation is a local matter, it involves the constitutionally protected rights of the Scouts and all private organizations, which were affirmed by the Supreme Court of the United States in 2000. Canceling the lease or escalating the rent simply because Boy Scouts exercise their First Amendment rights, would violate the U.S. Constitution.
A move to evict the Cradle of Liberty Council also would unjustly enrich the City at Scouting’s expense. Boy Scouts built the Council’s headquarters in 1929 using its own funds and in the 79 years since has invested millions of dollars to renovate and maintain the building. The Council spent more than $1.5 million of its charitable resources for substantial renovations in 1994, and presently spends about $60,000 each year just to maintain the historic building.
Boy Scouts of America will support the Council’s legal efforts to protect its rights and to receive fair treatment.

bsalegal.org/bsa-legal-blawg-200.asp?i=123

Several months ago this topic came up here. I’ll post a link to the thread for people who want to read background information.
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=192636&highlight=scouts

Thanks, Gilliam, for staying on top of this topic. :thumbsup:

They had an agreement, and now the city wants to renege on their agreement, just because the boy scouts refuse to coddle homophiles.

I will pray for the victory of the boy scouts and i encourage everyone else to do the same.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.