Boycotters in new attack on Radiohead over Israel concert

*Thom Yorke, the Radiohead frontman, has come in for renewed criticism from leading pro-Palestinian campaigners over the band’s decision to play a concert in Israel next month.

Film director Ken Loach has issued a statement through the Artist For Palestine UK organisation claiming: “Thom’s is a simple choice: will he stand with the oppressor or the oppressed?”

Mr Loach, who directed promotional videos for Jeremy Corbyn’s election campaign and is a long-standing critic of Israel, hit out at Mr Yorke after the singer last week condemned as “patronising and offensive” attempts to stop the band performing in Tel Aviv on July 19.

Artists For Palestine also accused Radiohead of "going into a live colonial situation” by performing the last date of their A Moon Shaped Pool tour in Israel.

Last week Mr Yorke had dismissed a 1200 strong petition against the band as an attempt to “throw [bleep] at [the band] in public … rather than engage with [us] personally.”

The Radiohead singer had also claimed that the band’s guitarist Jonny Greenwood “knows most about these things” having married Israeli Sharona Katan and mixing with both Israeli and Palestinian friends.

But Artists For Palestine responded saying: "Palestinians who read Yorke’s comments will wonder if he knows anything at all about their dispossession and forced exile, and what it’s like to live under military occupation.*
thejc.com/news/uk-news/boycotters-in-new-attack-on-radiohead-over-israel-concert-1.439979

As far as I am aware, it was Palestinians, or terrorists in Palestine, who were attacking the State of Israel, and not the other way around.

Why is it the motley reveling crew of anti-order protesters think that their hypocritical opinion counts for anything and that they are somehow in a position to judge upon anything of moral value.

Palestinians are Christians and Muslims. They have been persecuted by the Israeli government. Our fellow Catholics are among those persecuted. Bethlehem is in Palestine and has a very active and beautiful Catholic parish.

Palestinians have had their land taken unfairly and reassigned to Israelis and are discriminated against among a host of many other things. For example, Palestinian farmers have been forced by soldiers to leave their harvests at the Israeli border. When they can retrieve their crop, it is too spoiled to sale. Thus they are kept impoverished, it really is a sad sight to see. There is also a huge border wall separating the sides. Palestinians are often not allowed to go to work on the Israeli side (for example, if an border officer doesn’t feel like it, just to be cruel), as was the case on a random day with our pilgrimage bus driver.

Unfortunately, people assume- as I once did before I visited the Holy Land- Palestinians are terrorists. However, violent acts are from a rogue group with a similar name that gets media attention. No wonder people are confused.

If I’m not mistaken the Palestinian Christians are also being exterminated by Palestinian Muslims much as their brethren throughout the Middle East are.

Persecuted by the Israeli government?! I find that highly speculative.

Palestinians have had their land taken unfairly and reassigned to Israelis and are discriminated against among a host of many other things. For example, Palestinian farmers have been forced by soldiers to leave their harvests at the Israeli border. When they can retrieve their crop, it is too spoiled to sale. Thus they are kept impoverished, it really is a sad sight to see. There is also a huge border wall separating the sides. Palestinians are often not allowed to go to work on the Israeli side (for example, if an border officer doesn’t feel like it, just to be cruel), as was the case on a random day with our pilgrimage bus driver.

Unfortunately, people assume- as I once did before I visited the Holy Land- Palestinians are terrorists. However, violent acts are from a rogue group with a similar name that gets media attention. No wonder people are confused.

So, what you are actually asserting, is that Palestinian members of the public are persecuted, because of the Israeli government having to defend itself against terrorists hiding amongst the Palestinian people?

Is that not more the fault of terrorists than the Israeli government?

It’s clear the majority of Palestinians are fine with terror and sharia. Never good news for Christians.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.