Boys names

My wife and I have four daughters. My wife is pregnant with our fifth. If it is a boy I would really like for him to have a Christian name with meaning. I would like to name him after a real hero.

Of course I wouldn’t want to make it too rough on him and name him Polycarp.

Didn’t Pope Leo the first talk Atila the Hun out of sacking Rome?

Any suggestions?

This is a pretty good comprehensive list of Saints names... maybe a good place to start!
catholic.org/saints/

Are there any family names that are also Saints names that could do double-duty??
For example - we gave our boys middle names after our dads... which just happened to be James and Peter... so we're both honoring our parents and giving them pretty solid Catholic patrons... :thumbsup:

[quote="Michael_C, post:1, topic:236866"]
My wife and I have four daughters. My wife is pregnant with our fifth. If it is a boy I would really like for him to have a Christian name with meaning. I would like to name him after a real hero.

Of course I wouldn't want to make it too rough on him and name him Polycarp.

Didn't Pope Leo the first talk Atila the Hun out of sacking Rome?

Any suggestions?

[/quote]

LOL! Please don't name him Polycarp! That would be an invitation to a miserable childhood.

Go with Michael-after the arch angel. That's a pretty good hero!

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:2, topic:236866"]
This is a pretty good comprehensive list of Saints names... maybe a good place to start!
catholic.org/saints/

Are there any family names that are also Saints names that could do double-duty??
For example - we gave our boys middle names after our dads... which just happened to be James and Peter... so we're both honoring our parents and giving them pretty solid Catholic patrons... :thumbsup:

[/quote]

I'm doing the same thing. His middle name will be Paul.

I love Michael the Archangel, but it’s my name and the jr thing never really appealed to me. Maybe I should rethink it.

[quote="Michael_C, post:4, topic:236866"]
I'm doing the same thing. His middle name will be Paul.

[/quote]

That helps... here are some ideas:

Andrew Paul
Thomas Paul
Joseph Paul
Timothy Paul
Xavier Paul
Sebastian Paul

I could go on forever...
Another good resource is the Social Security Administration... you can judge whether a name is too "popular" for your tastes... (we always chose popular names, but some prefer not to)...
ssa.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi

I like Samuel. It’s a good strong name, not one you hear that much now days, he was a faithful priest of God and a prophet, and the nick name is strong and masculine: Sam. Samuel Paul is euphonious, as well.

I'm partial to the name Thomas. (It's the name of our firstborn son.) There are several great saints named Thomas: St. Thomas the Apostle, St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Thomas More, and St. Thomas Becket.

[quote="Em_in_FL, post:6, topic:236866"]
That helps... here are some ideas:

Andrew Paul
Thomas Paul
Joseph Paul
Timothy Paul
Xavier Paul
Sebastian Paul

I could go on forever...
Another good resource is the Social Security Administration... you can judge whether a name is too "popular" for your tastes... (we always chose popular names, but some prefer not to)...
ssa.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi

[/quote]

Sebastian was my Grandfathers name. I know nothing about Saint Sabastian. Hmmmmm....

He was a pretty cool guy…
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Sebastian

What’s funny is… the only reason that name came to mind was because we have a wonderful friend named Paul (your middle name triggered this thought) who has a son named Sebastian… and I though it sounded perfect together! :slight_smile:

I’m partial to St. Maximilian Kolbe (so, Maximilian, and he could go by Max)… and he is one heck of a hero, if you ask me.

St. Michael the Archangel is another excellent choice, but it looks like you might already have that name ;-).

Congratulations on the pregnancy!

i like to look on the calendar around the due date to see which Saints have feast days around then.

[quote="Michael_C, post:5, topic:236866"]
I love Michael the Archangel, but it's my name and the jr thing never really appealed to me. Maybe I should rethink it.

[/quote]

Duh! I am so dense! I didn't even put those two together (screen name and Angel name)

How about George instead? After St. George?

Joshua, seriously:p…he will have the best patron saint of all time (i think…:nerd:)

Gregory – after Pope St. Gregory the Great (my son’s name)

Felix–(my father’s name after his father, who was born on the feast of St. Felix)

What about naming him for the two grandfathers? Obviously, they raised two good kids. I'm sure they'd be proud. And nothing says he can't have three names.....yours being the third. Maybe putting all three names together will give him his nickname or call him Tre.

[quote="Michael_C, post:5, topic:236866"]
I love Michael the Archangel, but it's my name and the jr thing never really appealed to me. Maybe I should rethink it.

[/quote]

Just add a middle name other than your own; that way he can be named for you without being a "Junior."

ICXC NIKA

**My favorite (and my son’s name):

MICHAEL

:cool:

We considered that idea for less than a second with our son – poor kid would have been named Melvin Lloyd. Grandpas’ middle names were even worse – Orville Valdemar. Why not just name the kid “kick me”?

To the OP, apostles are such great patron choices. I mean, they were the first – and all were martyrs except John. Nathaniel is one of my favorites, because when Jesus saw him he said, “Here is a man in whom there is no guile.” Wow, now that’s a man! – Of course, Nathaniel is also the one who says, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” when Phillip tells him about Jesus. Read John 1:35-51.

Congratulations! And have fun with the names :slight_smile:

Gertie

I know many sons named after their
fathers and not one of them became a “junior.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.