Bp O'Malley Will Include Women in Foot Wash

Boston Archbishop Sean O’Malley has decided to wash the feet of both women and men during this year’s Holy Thursday foot-washing ritual, a year after angering Catholic women by washing only men’s feet.

O’Malley’s decision, on which he consulted the Vatican, drew praise from advocates for a greater role for women in the Roman Catholic Church.

The ritual imitates Jesus’ washing of the feet of his disciples at the Last Supper and has been part of Holy Thursday liturgies since the 13th century.

latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-briefs20.4mar20,1,2099670.story?coll=la-headlines-nation

I heard an apologist on Catholic radio say that it is only proper to wash the feet of males.

I’d bet there’s no hard and fast Church teaching on this. It would seem that one’s opinion about it should depend on whether we see Christ’s action as being a generic message that we all should be willing to serve, or a specific modelling for the Apostles who were being sent forth.

Peace.
John

James Akin explains it in his book ‘Mass Confusion’.

washing of women’s feet…conflicts with the rubrics for the Mass of Holy Thursday, which state,

…the washing of feet follows the homily. The men (veri) who have been chosen…

The Latin term used above indicates males only. When the term *veri* appears in Church documents, it indicates that the text is making a requirement for males and not females. If the text intends to include *either* a male or a female in a requirement, it uses a different Latin term, such as *homo*, which is not gender specific.

[quote=HagiaSophia]Boston Archbishop Sean O’Malley has decided to wash the feet of both women and men during this year’s Holy Thursday foot-washing ritual, a year after angering Catholic women by washing only men’s feet.

O’Malley’s decision, on which he consulted the Vatican, drew praise from advocates for a greater role for women in the Roman Catholic Church.

The ritual imitates Jesus’ washing of the feet of his disciples at the Last Supper and has been part of Holy Thursday liturgies since the 13th century.

latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-briefs20.4mar20,1,2099670.story?coll=la-headlines-nation
[/quote]

boo…http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon13.gif. He sure got my “irish” up… and I’m nowhere near Irish.

[quote=MrS]boo…http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon13.gif. He sure got my “irish” up… and I’m nowhere near Irish.
[/quote]

The message could be:
“I’m not homosexual"
Or
"I have a Female Foot Fetish”. This is my only chance to get away with it.
Or
"I certify that I have successfully completed my PC courses".
Or
"This is not your Father’s Church".
Or my very favorite (sig):
To destroy this Religion, I must first sever its traditions…carry on!

Maybe James Akin has a better excuse?

ps. I wonder what what color nail polish they’ll use?

[quote=HagiaSophia]Boston Archbishop Sean O’Malley has decided to wash the feet of both women and men during this year’s Holy Thursday foot-washing ritual, a year after angering Catholic women by washing only men’s feet.

[/quote]

I got a kick out of reading “drew praise from advocates for a greater role for women” in the Roman Catholic Church. I just saw not to long ago something in our paper about how women have more paying positions in the church than men and how it is women who are running most of the ministries and religious education in the church. A few weeks ago, the priest giving his homily on EWTN’s daily mass was just about begging for more men to show up at mass and take more active roles in the church. I wonder how much more greater the women’s role in church will be? I shudder at the thought.

In Christ,
Scarlet

That whole “greater role of women” is not satisfied until we have priestesses. Most lay women probably do not care one way or the other who gets their feet washed. Archbishop O’Malley caved in to the screeching unhabited nuns in his diocese.

I have to agree with Dennis Prager this week when I heard him say that secular culture has more influence on religion than religion does on American culture. This is just one example.

Well, if he “consulted the Vatican” the Vatican obviously doesn’t have a problem with it.

Or, he “consulted the Vatican,” the Vatican said no and he decided to do it anyway.

It’s troubling in either case. :nope:

[quote=Dr. Bombay]Well, if he “consulted the Vatican” the Vatican obviously doesn’t have a problem with it.

Or, he “consulted the Vatican,” the Vatican said no and he decided to do it anyway.

It’s troubling in either case. :nope:
[/quote]

From what I have gathered the advice given is a case of “pick your own battles” - i.e., left to his discretion within his own diocese.

I also don’t like like it, but then…no one sked me. :wink:

[quote=HagiaSophia]From what I have gathered the advice given is a case of “pick your own battles” - i.e., left to his discretion within his own diocese.

I also don’t like like it, but then…no one sked me. :wink:
[/quote]

What’s the point of having rubrics if a bishop can ignore them as he sees fit?

I wonder what the Vatican’s response would be if a bishop wanted to change the words of consecration in his diocese to “Bread thou art and bread thou shalt remain.” Or, in the ICEL translation: “Wheat and stuff you are and wheat and stuff you will stay.”

[quote=Dr. Bombay]What’s the point of having rubrics if a bishop can ignore them as he sees fit?

I wonder what the Vatican’s response would be if a bishop wanted to change the words of consecration in his diocese to “Bread thou art and bread thou shalt remain.” Or, in the ICEL translation: “Wheat and stuff you are and wheat and stuff you will stay.”
[/quote]

We have had a couple of those and the bishop clamped down hard and fast as I recall.

Certain parts of the rubrics are left to the discretion of the National Councils, the intent being originally to allow for certain cultural expressions or differences. (An example of "no good deed goes unpunished :slight_smile: ). It has now degenerated in some cases to the Natl. Councils doing all kinds of “odd” things depending on the “permissiveness” or “latitude” of those heading these councils. IMO their record ain’t good and I have long contended that if we abolished them all, the Church would be far far ahead of things in many ways. I personally consider them a disaster to the church as a whole.

I think it would be sweet! if Bishop O’Malley would have the 12 persons wear a “Hello, my name is …” nametags.

The 12 names would be pre-written on the nametags.

Or, he could address each, one by one, as he begins to wash the feet.

“Simon Peter.
James.
John.
Andrew.
Philip.
Bartholomew.
Matthew.
Thomas.
James, son of Alphaeus.
Thaddaeus.
Simon the Canaanite.
Judas.”

Yes, but make sure a woman gets the “Judas” nametag. That’ll drive the priestess-wannabes and “we are church” types crazy. :rotfl:

Spineless.

Good for the Archbishop.

He is the head of the local church.

John

Well I’ld bet that Cardinal Mahony will try to top it, someway.

I’m beginning to think that the American Catholic Church is quite different then Rome, heck we already have our own bible, the New American Bible, with revisions of course.

james

The archbishop consulted with Vatican officials about the Holy Thursday practice, the newspaper said.

The Vatican responded that although the “liturgical requirement is that only the feet of men be washed at the Holy Thursday ritual,” he could make whatever decision he thought was best for Boston, said Ann Carter, a spokeswoman for the archbishop.

www.zenit.org
Code: ZE05032029
Date: 2005-03-20

Every time I point out how weak O’Malley is someone posts that he really is a nice guy and has a lot on his plate. Sorry, I disagree.

[quote=John Higgins]Good for the Archbishop.
He is the head of the local church.
John
[/quote]

Absolutely! He is also part of that “magisterium” thing so many people here love to say they follow totally in all matters.

[quote=patg]Absolutely! He is also part of that “magisterium” thing so many people here love to say they follow totally in all matters.
[/quote]

Has he ever taught something contradictory to the magisterium? Has anyone said they would disobey his teachings on faith and morals? Has anyone said they would disobey his instructions that are not contrary to the intentions of Rome?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.