Brain Connectivity Study Reveals Striking Differences Between Men and Women

*A new brain connectivity study from Penn Medicine published today in the Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences found striking differences in the neural wiring of men and women that’s lending credence to some commonly-held beliefs about their behavior. …

[Scientists] found greater neural connectivity from front to back and within one hemisphere in males, suggesting their brains are structured to facilitate connectivity between perception and coordinated action. In contrast, in females, the wiring goes between the left and right hemispheres, suggesting that they facilitate communication between the analytical and intuition.*Story at Science Daily

Makes sense. A lot of people keep trying to make us all the same, confusing sameness with equality. We’re equal, but we’re not the same.

Objective studies have found that women say many more words in the day than a man.
Men 's silence has been attributed to the many hours early man spent in hunting in silence.
Many studies have found differences and only strident feminists confuse equality with sameness. I personally glory in the difference with a beautiful wife.

That is very interesting and cool! :cool:

I don’t think the results are surprising to anyone. However, the study doesn’t address why such differences exist, which really is the bone of contention. We know that pathways in the brain reflect patterns of behavior. The more an individual engages in an specific behavior, whether mental or physical, the more the brain will “wire” itself to promote efficient communication to make such behavior easier. So how much of the differences which the study found is due to innate factors, and how much is due to cultural and societal gender roles?

The study noted that few sexual differences existed before age 13. So is the difference which develops after that age due to the hormonal influx of adolescence? Or is it due to the deepening and increasing complexity of gender based roles, which are heavily determined by society and culture? I think it is likely that both factors are at play, but how much weight does each carry?

Another interesting question, which may have relevance, is how much do individuals differ from one another? The researchers mentioned that is the focus of future studies. The results may tell us more about the relative weight of innate and behavioral factors. I think those results will be far more insights than this particular study.

Differences between men and women?!?

Who’d’ve thunk it?

(I do wonder about “The study noted that few sexual differences existed before age 13.” I can’t link to anything, but I have read in the past that there are marked differences between very boys and girls, noted in the way they play in preschool and k’garten situations. Girls are all about interaction and communication, while boys are all about action.)

I have heard the same concerning boys versus girls, and seen it as well. Currently my sister and I help care for a little girl who is now 3. We often comment how she is “all girl.” Her circumstances allow us to know that she gets little structured influence concerning how she should “act as a girl.” Yet all of her interests are very much oriented toward the “typical female” behavior. Conversely, who know a little boy who is the same age, and he is “all boy.”

When caring for the our little girl friend, we introduce her to many experiences, including "gender neutral and gender specific activities (for both sexes.) She shows interest in everything, but will generally favor the “female” when left to her own for activities. It is interesting to watch her choose what she likes and dislikes on her own.

Considering the gender differences don’t set in until around puberty, it’s a good chance that hormones are a big factor. If gender roles were of any significance, you would expect to see greater differences in societies that have well defined gender rolls and much less definition in societies that do not. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Hasn’t the Church been saying equal but different for centuries?

I guess now when someone says he is a woman living in a man’s body, or vice versa, then science will be able to prove (or disprove) his claim.

I spent yesterday with my brother’s five year old twins. The boy could hardly be more different from his sister.

John Paul II understood that men and women are different in more ways than their genitals. Same sex couples have much higher rates of domestic violence than married couples because they lack complementarity in several dimensions.

Reminds me of the old joke: (I guess I can tell it on here)

Question: Why is the mortality rate for female to male transgender surgery so much higher than it is for male-to-female?

Answer: Because women who are born women but want to be men rarely survive the part where they remove most of the brain.

When we were raising our children, we wanted to be “politically correct” about gender interests, so we bought our son a doll as well as trucks and cars and such. We bought our daughters cars and trucks and such as well as dolls.

Our son’s doll is pristine, sitting on a shelf. His trucks and cars are almost all gone, having been involved in innumerable crashes, races off the end of the porch, leaps over ramps, experimental travel in sand, gravel, water,mud, etc. Our girls’ dolls aren’t wrecked, but they’re exceedingly worn. Their trucks and cars are pristine.

:rotfl:

Good one :smiley:

Love it. My siblings and I were also allowed to play with “non-traditional” gender toys. Now I am the oldest and female. I played equally with trucks, dolls and loved science, sewing and cooking. My mom always counted on me for the ironing. My sister is the youngest and enjoyed playing with trucks and other “male toys” and games. But she was a real “mommy” with her dolls and cut their hair, fixed their nails and was very concerned about make-up and getting dressed up. My brother loved all things manly, worked on cars since the age of 5 with my dad, but had no problem playing with his dolls either. Sadly both his dolls “died” when he was 14 due to some trauma to the head during a fall. He buried them in the front yard. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.