Brainstorm needed here: ideas and topics for a respect life for a parish

Hi all.

Any good ideas for a set of topics (or methods of delivery) on respect life for a parish.

The parish is quite large…and beginning to “spark” in the good direction in terms of focus on this topic.

Any ideas welcomed. Thank you.

Presentations…videos…practical, doctrinal, prayer oriented, civic oriented (working without representatives), etc,…any ideas?

Do 40 Days for Life!!!

40daysforlife.com. One warning - some diocese do not endorse 40 Days because although it was started by Catholics, it is ecumenical and encourages ALL people regardless of their religious affiliation to come and peacefully pray in front of abortion clinics. It has been very successful in saving babies and closing down clinics. But you might get some push-back because it is not strictly Catholic. That push-back is surprising and distressing to me, but just to let you know to expect it.

It is very galvanizing to get people to actually GO to the abortion center and watch as women walk in for abortions. Hearts and minds are deeply affected by the true horror that people can finally put a face on - it is no longer just a number that might float by them on the anniversary of Roe v. Wade/Doe v. Bolton. When they see actual women walking into PP or another clinic, then walking out in pain hours later after the abortion, they are no longer apathetic.

Ya, start with a large poster with a picture of a bucket of aborted fetuses on it with the caption. “Anyone who is “pro-choice” deserves a free bucket of choices.”

or [same poster size] show a small aborted fetus with the caption, “who knows what GOD’s plan was”

or, [same poster size] show a small aborted fetus with the caption, “this was the only person who could have convinced me that you were worth something”

Please don’t do this.

No, have a display showing the development of babies from the earliest photo, giving the timeline of when they develop, such as, “I am now 3 weeks old, and I have a heartbeat and am growing my spinal cord,” etc.

Look around the USCCB website. They’ve got lots of materials related to abortion and other life issues.

Does your diocese have a pro-life / respect life office? Even if they don’t have a designated office, they likely have someone who handles those issues. You might try calling them to see what types of resources they have available at the diocesan level.

:thumbsup:

Yes, do this! ^

Other ideas: Hold a monthly Holy Hour for Life with a rosary. Set up a display of crosses on the anniversary of Roe v. Wade. Hold donation days for baby supplies. Set up a baby blanket making club. Hold diaper drives.

What is critical is getting support from your priests, so they start talking about the sanctity of life more often than just once a year. I hope you already have that kind of priest.

Fund raise. We give out hundreds of cheap baby bottles out on Mother’s Day for people to take home and fill with Loose change. They bring them back on Father’s Day. We make plenty of dough this way. You can get very large Pro Life labeled Baby Bottles and leave in church office and Catholic businesses.That collects a lot too!

Then perhaps buy a Vacation Cruise that you then Raffle off to make more money. The money will grow.

We often do "Life Walks’ that get sponsors as well. Our small church often donates approx. $14,000.oo annually to Pro life cause via this mechanism alone.

We may not have as much money as Planned Parenthood – but our money is Blessed!

That’s a good idea. I’ve seen fund raising drives that take a similar approach to the Lenten “rice bowl” campaign, except using baby bottles to fill up with coins. I can’t remember if that was some national group that did that or just a local one. :o

Ministry to those in need is always a good thing, too. I’ve seen parishes set up an emergency cell phone number (with the cell phone getting passed around to trained, competent parishioners so that someone is on call 24/7) and then advertise the number for crisis pregnancy purposes. Collecting donations of things like diapers, formula, baby clothes, etc. is good, too, as it gives a reserve of supplies to offer to women in crisis pregnancies so that they know they won’t be completely on their own once the baby arrives.

Setting up a crisis pregnancy center is a great ministry idea, too. But that does not happen overnight. It takes a lot of time and funding and volunteers to get that off the ground and maintain it. But it might be a long-term goal to aspire to.

Many thanks for all these ideas…that was fast!

Good use of Catholic.com

Many thanks and blessings.

Originally Posted by Least
[Ya, start with a large poster with a picture of a bucket of aborted fetuses on it with the caption. “Anyone who is “pro-choice” deserves a free bucket of choices.”

or [same poster size] show a small aborted fetus with the caption, “who knows what GOD’s plan was”

or, [same poster size] show a small aborted fetus with the caption, “this was the only person who could have convinced me that you were worth something” ] - Stricken Through

Ya, check out the misplaced horror. Who’s the Monster now?

You might want to look at Father Spitzer’s organization for ideas. Here’s the website.

lifeprinciples.net/

May God bless your efforts! Amen.

This site is chock full of good stuff and ideas. Never heard of this before. Heard of Father Spitzer, but not this site.

Many thanks.

Some Archdiocese have begun listing his materials as appropriate for religious instruction in Catholic schools now. If your parish has an elementary school or high school this might be something to discuss with your Archdiocese.
If we start with sound teaching, building a culture of life when our children are young, there will be so many opportunities to share that with others over the course of a lifetime.
May God bless your good work. Amen.

How about a big poster with a picture of an aborted fetus with the caption: “If you are from a “blue state” you are part of the problem. If you have a (D) after your name, the problem is part of you.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.