"Brandeis U. Decides Against Honor for Islam Critic" - ABC News

After taking heat from some of its own over a decision to grant an honorary degree to an advocate for Muslim women who has made comments critical of Islam, Brandeis University withdrew the honor Tuesday night.

The university said in a statement that Somali-born Ayaan Hirsi Ali would no longer receive the honorary degree, which it had planned to award her at the May 18 commencement.

Ali, a member of the Dutch Parliament from 2003 to 2006, has been quoted as making comments critical of Islam. That includes a 2007 interview with Reason Magazine in which she said of the religion: “Once it’s defeated, it can mutate into something peaceful. It’s very difficult to even talk about peace now. They’re not interested in peace. I think that we are at war with Islam. And there’s no middle ground in wars.”

abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/brandeis-decides-honor-islam-critic-23266513?pt=BureoF2GVB|0|0|0|0|0|1058286187.97498

Note, I took the ABC headline verbatim, however I believe calling this woman an advocate for Muslim women may be a better take on this and that is said in the first paragraph.

To me, I can look at the Firefox incident last week and look at this, and see similarities.

Of all people, CAIR is mentioned in the article, this story I first heard about on the Mike Gallagher show:

But Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, the nation’s largest Muslim advocacy group, said, “It is unconscionable that such a prestigious university would honor someone with such openly hateful views.”

One can also find Huffington Post’s article which is about what one might expect from them.

So, it does seem one needs to search a bit to find the real story here. As for me, I’d barely heard of Brandeis University though I am sure it is prestigious.

Note, this on CAIR:

Critics of CAIR have accused it of having past ties to Hamas. Federal Judge Jorge A. Solis said that there was evidence to show that that CAIR had an association with the Holy Land Foundation, Islamic Association for Palestine and Hamas. However, Judge Solis’ acknowledged that this evidence predates the official designation of these groups as terrorist organizations.[87]

Critics of CAIR, including six members of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate,[60][88][89] have alleged ties between the CAIR founders and Hamas. The founders, Omar Ahmad and Nihad Awad, had earlier been officers of the Islamic Association of Palestine (IAP), described by a former FBI analyst and US Treasury Department intelligence official as “intimately tied to the most senior Hamas leadership.”[90] Both Ahmad and Awad participated in a meeting held in Philadelphia on October 3, 1993, that involved senior leaders of Hamas, the Holy Land Foundation (which was designated in 1995 by Executive Order, and later convicted in court, as an organization that had raised millions of dollars for Hamas), and the IAP.[91][92][93] Based on electronic surveillance of the meeting, the FBI reported that “the participants went to great length and spent much effort hiding their association with the Islamic Resistance Movement [Hamas].”[94] Participants at the meeting discussed forming a “political organization and public relations” body, “whose Islamic hue is not very conspicuous.”[95] Critics also point to a July 1994 meeting identifying CAIR as one of the four U.S. organizations comprising the working organizations of the Palestine Committee of the U.S. Muslim Brotherhood, the parent organization and supporter of Hamas.[96][97][98]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_on_American%E2%80%93Islamic_Relations#Controversy

So much for the theory that the university exists to provide for the free exchange of ideas, debate, and a search for truth.

Only approved views may be voiced on our campuses.:frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.